View Poll Results: Is protesting at funerals 'Free Speech'?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, this was never the intent of the founding fathers!

    2 3.64%
  • It's harassment and should be illegal

    24 43.64%
  • It's open to interpretation

    4 7.27%
  • It's most certainly a form of protected free speech

    18 32.73%
  • Other, please explain

    7 12.73%
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 260

Thread: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

  1. #221
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes it is. They are on public property, they have the right to assemble, associate, and protest.
    i don't agree. free speech is all well and good, as long it doesn't infringe on other's rights. imo, we have a RIGHT to bury our dead in peace. period.

    i hope when this man dies every gay in the country goes to protest at his funeral.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    And so that's ok? It's ok for them to take advantage of someone's tragic death in order to cause a stink and get on tv?
    Free speech is hard sometimes. It still beats the alternative.

    For the record, I don't want the government determining what is offensive, might hurt someone's feelings, or shouldn't be said out loud.

    All of your overly emotional hyperbole fails to motivate me.

    ZOMG, do it for the children!!!

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    imo, we have a RIGHT to bury our dead in peace. period.
    You also think we have a right to healthcare. Neither of these "rights" are constitutional.

  4. #224
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You don't seem to understand why. You said as much yourself when you said "If there is one thing that has always confused me, it is people that get so ****ing pissy when other people badmouth them, their friends or their family."

    Now, ironically as all hell, you are getting "so ****ing pissy" because you have erroneously perceives my mere restatement of something you have said yourself as an "attack" and a "label. i.e. you erroneously perceive my comments to be "badmouthing" you.

    Think about that. Think about your reaction to me restatement and how it inherently contradicts what you said above about being confused.

    Perhaps it will help you gain a better understanding of other people's positions when you actually hold those same positions, at least subconsciously.
    My point may not be valid to your one specific scenario.[/QUOTE]

    Then it isn't a valid response to my argument, which has always been specific.



    The intendee did see the words. He just saw them later on the news. You can't say he didn't even see or hear them four sentences after you say he saw and heard them.

    They are still fighting words, even if they are heard after the ability to fight has been removed. They will not always be heard or seen after that ability has been removed.

    Had one of them been in the room when he saw the words, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he'd have decked them.

    The fact remains, the words do indeed, inherently provoke a violent reaction.[/QUOTE]

    OK. But have you never heard a person say they were confused about why somebody does something, NOT because they do not understand why they do it, but because what they are doing is so insane that THAT is what they are confused about. Why people are insane. Why they make stupid comments. Now, I can also understand this. Why people say what they say. Why they are insane, even if for a moment. Psychological disorders, emotional outbursts, lots of reasons.

    I am not actually confused, does his make sense. I know tons of people that make such a simple and easily understood comment. On the internet, that might not be as clear. I understand if my comment was taken out of context. Hopefully this sheds new light on my perception and position.

  5. #225
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i don't agree. free speech is all well and good, as long it doesn't infringe on other's rights. imo, we have a RIGHT to bury our dead in peace. period.

    i hope when this man dies every gay in the country goes to protest at his funeral.
    They aren't at the cemetery I don't think, and they aren't in the Church. So they're not disrupting the services; you just see them as you go too and from the services. Assembly, association, and protest are essential and if Phelps and Co. are the price of admission to keep it; I'll take it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #226
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Now, ironically as all hell, you are getting "so ****ing pissy" because you have erroneously perceives my mere restatement of something you have said yourself as an "attack" and a "label. i.e. you erroneously perceive my comments to be "badmouthing" you.

    Think about that. Think about your reaction to me restatement and how it inherently contradicts what you said above about being confused.
    I am not pissy, I just swear a lot. So the **** what? This proves nothing.

  7. #227
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    I understand the points that they are making. I undestand the reactions. I understand the ****ing emotions. Dude, get over yourself. Instead of assuming I don't understand, which is condescending and lame, by the way, maybe you should try to figure out why I am saying what I am saying.
    I'm not making an assumption that you don't understand. I'm actually taking your words at face value. In what world would "If there is one thing that has always confused me..." equates to "I fully understand"?

    See, I'm confused about why you are taking offense to what I'm saying. When I say that, I very literally mean, I do not understand why you are taking offense to what I'm saying.

    Are you using some definition of "confused" I am unfamiliar with?

    If you were able to actually make a case against what I said, then I would listen. Just saying straw man doesn't mean anything. I am picking apart the way that they are saying it. I obviously used the words that he used. That is the scenario that I described. I changed nothing and took nothing out of context. Re-read his post and my scenario. He said if a guy comes down to disrespect they would get some boondock asswhoopin and that is what I described. If they want to say what they actually mean, that would certainly help. That is the point. It was not a straw man. If you looked at this objectively, you might be able to understand this point instead of compounding the issue.
    I read your scenario. Specifically the "talking smack about American Forces as he is fishing in hickville" part of it.

    Perhaps you can explain, objectively, how "talking about American Forces as he is fishing in hickville" is identical to "protest at the grave" of someones grandfather?

    Objectively, I cannot reconcile the two as being remotely close to similar.

    Perhaps if you explained in detail how these two situations are actually remotely close to similar, I would be able to understand why it isn't a strawman.

    Because as it stands, objectively speaking, I would have to say it is obvioulsy a strawman. One so obvious that I cannot fathom how you could possibly try to argue that it isn't one.

    Thus, I would actually require an argument on why these situations are comparable, because I am incapable of making that comparison myself.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #228
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I'm not making an assumption that you don't understand. I'm actually taking your words at face value. In what world would "If there is one thing that has always confused me..." equates to "I fully understand"?

    See, I'm confused about why you are taking offense to what I'm saying. When I say that, I very literally mean, I do not understand why you are taking offense to what I'm saying.

    Are you using some definition of "confused" I am unfamiliar with?
    Apparently I am. I just explained it to you. It is the context that you are ignoring. Now, you can think that I am lying, that would be better than trying to prove that I only said confused because I was only confused about that one aspect in that one said and not in a broader context, as I explained. Either way, this conversation is nearing its end out of shear stupidity.



    I read your scenario. Specifically the "talking smack about American Forces as he is fishing in hickville" part of it.

    Perhaps you can explain, objectively, how "talking about American Forces as he is fishing in hickville" is identical to "protest at the grave" of someones grandfather?

    Objectively, I cannot reconcile the two as being remotely close to similar.

    Perhaps if you explained in detail how these two situations are actually
    remotely close to similar, I would be able to understand why it isn't a strawman.
    I made up a scenario that helped put his scenario into perspective. He brought up some person going ten miles past some boondock to talk bad about his grandad from WWII. How that person would get an asswhoopin. How does an Italien vet talking bad about American Forces (vets from WWII, his grandad) NOT MAKE SENSE? If you guys don't like my "straw man" then don't set up silly scenarios that can be so easily proven ridiculous.

    He said a person, and then tried to claim he said "organized protest" when he specifically said a "person" walking ten miles down some hilly billy sounding place to disrespect his dead grandad. I changed nothing about content. I only added context to show how ridiculous his statements are. He didn't say, if some 25 year old tough guy walks down the road and talks ****, he'll get an asswhoopin, he made it open ended. A person

    Does that help?

    EDIT: Did you read post #224?
    Last edited by Flea; 04-15-10 at 12:00 PM.

  9. #229
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    OK. But have you never heard a person say they were confused about why somebody does something, NOT because they do not understand why they do it, but because what they are doing is so insane that THAT is what they are confused about. Why people are insane. Why they make stupid comments. Now, I can also understand this. Why people say what they say. Why they are insane, even if for a moment. Psychological disorders, emotional outbursts, lots of reasons.

    I am not actually confused, does his make sense. I know tons of people that make such a simple and easily understood comment. On the internet, that might not be as clear. I understand if my comment was taken out of context. Hopefully this sheds new light on my perception and position.
    If you are confused about something, you can't possibly understand it. The two are mutually exclusive conditions.

    But even allowing for your somewhat contradictory explanation, my words were specifically chosen to point out that I was interpreting your statement to mean what it looks like it means, and what the definition of the words used imply that it means.

    Hence, my addition of the word "seem" in "even though you don't seem to understand".

    This means "appear". The appearances of your statement are very clear based on the fact that being confused and having an understanding are mutually exclusive conditions.

    But I allowed for a possible misinterpretation of your words on my part by making sure to include that qualifier in my sentence. This is because, as they say, appearances can be deceiving.

    So in any case, the truth of the matter, what any objective observer would have to attest to, is that I made a valid, although incorrect, interpretation of your statements and allowed for my incorrectness by including the word "seem" in my interpretation.

    this clearly indicates that:

    1. It was not a label I was placing upon you. It was only a description of what my perceptions about your "confusion" meant.

    2. It was not an attack.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #230
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    I am not pissy, I just swear a lot. So the **** what? This proves nothing.
    Swearing a lot is not what was "pissy". It was your stated refusal to continue reading the post based on your erroneous assumption that my description of my perceptions was an attack.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •