View Poll Results: Is protesting at funerals 'Free Speech'?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, this was never the intent of the founding fathers!

    2 3.64%
  • It's harassment and should be illegal

    24 43.64%
  • It's open to interpretation

    4 7.27%
  • It's most certainly a form of protected free speech

    18 32.73%
  • Other, please explain

    7 12.73%
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 260

Thread: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

  1. #101
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    They are not saying, "let's fight/kill soldiers" they are just saying that they are glad that soldiers are dead. Big difference.
    Time/Place/Manner. They have every right to do this, but if they are infringing on the right to hold a respectful funeral(freedom of religion) then they are in the wrong.

    Time: 12P EST anyday of the week; Place: Main st. business district; Manner: Waving signs shouting obscenities......no problem. vs. Time: During a private funeral; Place: Within earshot/plain view of the rite; Manner: Shouting obscenities/offensive written expressions then the family they directly inflicted harrassment upon should have legal recourse, this falls under harrassment, fighting words, and potentially incitement to riot, as well as disturbing the piece.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #102
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I don't believe they've actually disrupted a funeral. I know they've protested funerals, but my impression is that they've generally followed local laws and ordinances while protesting. Which would diminish the potential for disruption of the actual proceedings.
    I have seen them certainly protesting outside so that the mourners have to run the gauntlet of them and it is some time since I saw the film of them, but I am not at all sure I did not even see them in a funeral - but certainly with the mourners having to run the gauntlet of them glad their child is dead and cursing him and spewing bile.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  3. #103
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    However, if it was a choice between upholding free speech and protecting people from hearing it, I'll vote in favor of free speech every time. It is the speech that offends me that is in the most need of protection.
    The question I have is whether or not limiting the location and time for certain types of injury-inducing speech is the same thing as prohibiting free speech.

    The people are still very free to promote their views, publicly in fact, they would just need to do so in ways that are not purposefully chosen to inflict as much damage as possible.

    If the Westboro ****heads weren't protesting outside of funerals and coal mining accidents, they'd be completely irrelevant. They do it for attention, and nothing more. They purposefully do it at these times because they know that their willful acts to emotionally harm others will make it on the news.

    The most important thing is that they aren't prevented from sharing their despicable views when they are prevented from inflicting these purposeful wounds upon the bereaved. They are still free to share them. What they want, more than anything, is free advertising for their views via the news networks.

    They know they won't get it if they act like semi-decent human beings.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    Obviously, no need to be that way. I am clarifying since I did not read your extensive back and forth posts about it.

    Emotional injury is not relevant. They could also have said, "I don't like you and someday you will burn in hell." That could cause emotional inury. It is not illegal.
    I personally don't see why people care if others think they are going to Hell. Why is that so annoying to people?

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The question I have is whether or not limiting the location and time for certain types of injury-inducing speech is the same thing as prohibiting free speech.

    The people are still very free to promote their views, publicly in fact, they would just need to do so in ways that are not purposefully chosen to inflict as much damage as possible.

    If the Westboro ****heads weren't protesting outside of funerals and coal mining accidents, they'd be completely irrelevant. They do it for attention, and nothing more. They purposefully do it at these times because they know that their willful acts to emotionally harm others will make it on the news.

    The most important thing is that they aren't prevented from sharing their despicable views when they are prevented from inflicting these purposeful wounds upon the bereaved. They are still free to share them. What they want, more than anything, is free advertising for their views via the news networks.

    They know they won't get it if they act like semi-decent human beings.
    Very well put, thanks.

  6. #106
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I personally don't see why people care if others think they are going to Hell. Why is that so annoying to people?
    A funeral is different IMO. For instance, I was always raised not to speak ill of the dead because they are no longer here to defend themselves, as well, someone loved them and would rather their memory be respected.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #107
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The question I have is whether or not limiting the location and time for certain types of injury-inducing speech is the same thing as prohibiting free speech.
    Well, no, because 'free speech' doesn't include speech that causes harm.
    As such, prohibitions against same do not limit free speech.

  8. #108
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    Obviously, no need to be that way. I am clarifying since I did not read your extensive back and forth posts about it.
    You didn't read the post I quoted and responded to? It wasn't all that extensive of a back and forth. Unless you consider two total posts as "extensive".

    And in reality, you only had to read the words found in one post since it was quoted in that post. That was the extent of the back and forth on the fighting words discussion.

    Emotional injury is not relevant. They could also have said, "I don't like you and someday you will burn in hell." That could cause emotional inury. It is not illegal.
    Read up on Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire and the "fighting words" doctrine. I was actually quoting the decision. Without that knowledge, you aren't equipped with the necessary tools to tell me what is or is not relevant.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    I don't get it. When there is a RNC or major GOP event going on, you have hundreds of arrests from liberals breaking laws and reveling in general douchebaggery.

    Then here you have Westboro, where I would turn a blind eye if some left-wing crazies wanted to fight, burn things, and flip out - and they're nowhere to be found.

    All we need is a couple fringers to pull an al-Qaeda on these fundamentalist nutjobs and all would be right in the world. Hell, you'll even get fan mail in the slammer or an honorable funeral. The sane part of America would thank you.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is protesting at funerals 'free speech'?

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    I have seen them certainly protesting outside so that the mourners have to run the gauntlet of them and it is some time since I saw the film of them, but I am not at all sure I did not even see them in a funeral - but certainly with the mourners having to run the gauntlet of them glad their child is dead and cursing him and spewing bile.
    Okay, and your point is?

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •