View Poll Results: If You Had to Flee America. Where to?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canada

    34 30.91%
  • Mexico

    6 5.45%
  • Belize

    6 5.45%
  • Costa Rica

    6 5.45%
  • Australia

    29 26.36%
  • New Zealand

    22 20.00%
  • Switzerland

    20 18.18%
  • Netherlands

    14 12.73%
  • Jamaica, Bahamas, other Carribean islands

    12 10.91%
  • Other (specify)

    29 26.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 189

Thread: If you had to flee America.

  1. #81
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    If your country was in catastrophe you would not be able to fly out. So that would leave you with Canada or Mexico, or further South of Mexico (via driving or some other method).
    Or a sailboat. Which I plan to have. 5 year plan!

  2. #82
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    1. Puerto Rico (mainly for family reasons)

    2. Canada
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  3. #83
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Switzerland. The federal government there has a lot less power than the federal government here, and that's how they like it.

    That, and ma hottie lives there.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #84
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Australia, for some reason i can't quite fathom
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Salaries are much higher than the European average here. It evens out in the end. Plus, depending on where you live, you can go across the border to France, Germany or Italy for cheaper groceries and restaurants, including McDonalds.
    The average salary in Switzerland is $43,000 and the average salary here in the States is $47,000. So where do you get the idea that the slaries are much higher? Ah, but you said compared to the European average. Ok. But still does that make it good to know that you paying a lot of taxes for goods and that includes food? The Switz aren't skinny because they work out a lot, its because they can't stuff their faces like Americans' do unless they want to go bankrupt.
    And no Harry Guerilla I don't believe you are prepared for the cost of basic items.

    Also, I would rather move to Austria than any nation in the world. And then if it were going to be an expensive place to live in, I'd choose Denmark. The people in Denmark are really great compared to Switz and the average Europeans. The Switz are pretty cold at times they remind me of the Montanan(is that right?) character of being cold to outsiders so that they don't move to their beautiful land, because most don't like people.

  6. #86
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I interpret the word "fight" from your use of the word "coward".
    Ah, I can see how you'd get that interpretation, but "cowardly" behavior isn't limited to physical danger.

    For example, if someone avoids or runs away from doing something they truly desire because they fear the negative consequences that may arise in the worst case scenario, they are being cowardly. This is not limited to physical consequences.

    Bravery is going after what you desire despite the fear of negative consequences that may arise in the worst case scenario. If you truly desire something, you should never allow someone to simply take it from you without putting up some resistance. The resistance, or fight, does not need to be manifested physically.

    Martin Luther King Jr fought for what he desired. He didn't run away or flee form the challenge. He also didn't resort to violence. He was no coward. Had he decided that instead of fighting he would just muddle along and not make waves, he would have been acting in a cowardly fashion.

    But with resistance comes hardship. Always. Facing that hardship in order to attain your goals is bravery. Running away from hardship and relinquishing your goals without resistance... that is cowardice.

    At the same time, I don't think poorly of people for acting in a cowardly fashion. I would, however, think poorly of myself for it (and I actually have thought poorly of myself in past instances when I did act in a cowardly fashion).


    I would buy that except for the whole "I'd send my family away first" statement you subsequently made.
    As I said above, resistance always goes hand in hand with hardship. While I am willing to accept the hardships my resistance would necessarily lead to, I would not place those hardships upon my family. I would seek to put them in a situation where they could avoid those hardships, which would affect them as much as me during my resistance.

    The hardships can occur in any variety of forms, many of which are not physically violent.

    Just admit it, you think anyone who leaves the US is a coward. You know it's true, stop your dodging you partisan hack.
    I can has hackburger?

    The irony of this discussion we're having is that leaving the US because you want to leave the US is something I would actually classify as an act of "bravery". Doing so because that is what you desire is actually taking on risks that you could avoid by not leaving, but choosing instead to accept those risks in order to fulfill your desires is admirable, IMO.

    Which is why I would never, ever call leaving of your own accord in order to fulfill your desires "fleeing". I think using that word degrades and insults the inherent bravery of the action.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #87
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Well, I have some college hours in German, so I could probably pick that back up, and I had some French in high school, so maybe I could get that going again, too.

    The ability to own firearms is a big plus, and so is the highly-developed banking industry there.

    Oh, and the chocolate, the flora and fauna, the mountains and so forth.
    Its a lot more difficult than you think.
    If life gives you Melons you probably have dyslexia.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    The average salary in Switzerland is $43,000 and the average salary here in the States is $47,000. So where do you get the idea that the slaries are much higher? Ah, but you said compared to the European average. Ok. But still does that make it good to know that you paying a lot of taxes for goods and that includes food? The Switz aren't skinny because they work out a lot, its because they can't stuff their faces like Americans' do unless they want to go bankrupt.
    And no Harry Guerilla I don't believe you are prepared for the cost of basic items.

    Also, I would rather move to Austria than any nation in the world. And then if it were going to be an expensive place to live in, I'd choose Denmark. The people in Denmark are really great compared to Switz and the average Europeans. The Switz are pretty cold at times they remind me of the Montanan(is that right?) character of being cold to outsiders so that they don't move to their beautiful land, because most don't like people.
    What's a Switz?

    Anyway, I'll take the high standard of living and safety of living in this country over ANY of our closest neighbors. Not to mention the very low unemployment rate.

    And yes, the Swiss people are not easy to get to know and in some parts of the country, especially in the more remote rural areas, they can be very insular and unwelcoming to outsiders. There's good and bad, just like anywhere else. It all depends what you're looking for. Geneva, Lausanne, Zurich, Basel and Locarno are very cool, very welcoming cities.

    ETA: Oh, and the Swiss DO work out a lot. They're health freaks. Not just that, but most health insurance companies pay half of the health club costs.
    Last edited by Arcana XV; 04-14-10 at 11:25 AM.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    What's a Switz?

    Anyway, I'll take the high standard of living and safety of living in this country over ANY of our closest neighbors. Not to mention the very low unemployment rate.

    And yes, the Swiss people are not easy to get to know and in some parts of the country, especially in the more remote rural areas, they can be very insular and unwelcoming to outsiders. There's good and bad, just like anywhere else. It all depends what you're looking for. Geneva, Lausanne, Zurich, Basel and Locarno are very cool, very welcoming cities.
    I'd pick Zurich since my German is better (much!) than my French. Basel is boring.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: If you had to flee America.

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I'd pick Zurich since my German is better (much!) than my French. Basel is boring.
    Basel is a fun city compared to Bern. Staring at a blank wall is more fun than Bern.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •