View Poll Results: Is politics entertaining to you?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 75.86%
  • No

    7 24.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Is politics entertaining to you?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    No. It's more frustrating to me.
    That's the main reason why I never pursued my politics degree to a higher level and switched to medicine instead. Now I get involved in political discussion as a matter of learning and comparing notes. I'm glad I don't have to study or write policy, it would drive me nuts.

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    The humor in politics is unmatched by any other scholarly pursuit or profession. I don't know about the rest of you all, but that's why I'm here.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #13
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The humor in politics is unmatched by any other scholarly pursuit or profession. I don't know about the rest of you all, but that's why I'm here.
    I love the competition and sport of the kill.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I love the competition and sport of the kill.
    Yeah... ain't it COOL.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #15
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That's the main reason why I never pursued my politics degree to a higher level and switched to medicine instead. Now I get involved in political discussion as a matter of learning and comparing notes. I'm glad I don't have to study or write policy, it would drive me nuts.
    I'm a Political Science major and I would have the same mind-set as you, but my Freshman Intro to Political Science professor said something that allowed me to keep focused on Politics instead of cringing and changing majors.
    He said, in effect, that we in the free-world have an unprecedented amount of information that we can simply access. That it should be our duty to take advantage of this basin of information, and be able to analyze the different elements therein.

    Basically, that the political science is necessary because it is in many respects the real world's version of Harry Potter's "Defense Against The Dark Arts".
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  6. #16
    I invented Human Nature
    Z3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    05-13-12 @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I'm a Political Science major and I would have the same mind-set as you, but my Freshman Intro to Political Science professor said something that allowed me to keep focused on Politics instead of cringing and changing majors.
    He said, in effect, that we in the free-world have an unprecedented amount of information that we can simply access. That it should be our duty to take advantage of this basin of information, and be able to analyze the different elements therein.

    Basically, that the political science is necessary because it is in many respects the real world's version of Harry Potter's "Defense Against The Dark Arts".
    I'm doing political science as well. I love my classes: Public Opinion, Third World Politics, Failed Nation-States, etc. Comparative studies is super interesting as well.

    It's definately entertaining. And to quote George Carlin, "The Earth is fine. Its the people that are ****ed." This definately applies to widespread ignorance we see in politics. I may actually go into politics because this is a very tumultuous and unstable time in American politics and I feel like I have a solid vision of what to do.
    Don't tread on me= Don't tread on my corporate masters

  7. #17
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Z3n View Post
    I'm doing political science as well. I love my classes: Public Opinion, Third World Politics, Failed Nation-States, etc. Comparative studies is super interesting as well.

    It's definately entertaining. And to quote George Carlin, "The Earth is fine. Its the people that are ****ed." This definately applies to widespread ignorance we see in politics. I may actually go into politics because this is a very tumultuous and unstable time in American politics and I feel like I have a solid vision of what to do.
    I don't see myself going into any sort of public activism. My main mission is to grab academia by the clothespins and shake them again, and again. There are Professors who are worthy of admiration for their intellectual prowess, their desire for knowledge, and their ability to represent their University in academia, but I also feel that these worths (particularly the last one) fall short of what is needed from them.

    I find that for every Professor who truly cares about his University, and his/her students, that there are Professors who consider their students as secondary to their own academic work; they feel it necessary to put large and robust theories to paper and ship it to academia, over reading and re-reading their student's work.

    I am not saying that their academic work is meaningless, but they only tend to feed their resume while their job as professor is not for their own benefit, but for those who rely upon them, i.e. their students.

    Their time that is spent flexing their intellectual muscles in their intellectual clique, by peer reviewing and publishing articles, journal entries, and books as if the printing press was invented yesterday and they are rushing to be the first to theorize about Globalization, is better spent doing their duty as educators.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  8. #18
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    It's entertaining in a perverse sort of way, if you have the stomach and skin for it.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #19
    I invented Human Nature
    Z3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    05-13-12 @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I don't see myself going into any sort of public activism. My main mission is to grab academia by the clothespins and shake them again, and again. There are Professors who are worthy of admiration for their intellectual prowess, their desire for knowledge, and their ability to represent their University in academia, but I also feel that these worths (particularly the last one) fall short of what is needed from them.

    I find that for every Professor who truly cares about his University, and his/her students, that there are Professors who consider their students as secondary to their own academic work; they feel it necessary to put large and robust theories to paper and ship it to academia, over reading and re-reading their student's work.

    I am not saying that their academic work is meaningless, but they only tend to feed their resume while their job as professor is not for their own benefit, but for those who rely upon them, i.e. their students.

    Their time that is spent flexing their intellectual muscles in their intellectual clique, by peer reviewing and publishing articles, journal entries, and books as if the printing press was invented yesterday and they are rushing to be the first to theorize about Globalization, is better spent doing their duty as educators.
    yea I actually love just intellectual circles at college. Debating human nature, civics, global affairs etc. I dont really know where im headed after my BA though
    Don't tread on me= Don't tread on my corporate masters

  10. #20
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Is politics entertaining to you?

    Oh, yeah. Best clown show on Earth.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •