View Poll Results: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/aids

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    43 82.69%
  • no

    5 9.62%
  • maybe/other

    4 7.69%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/aids

  1. #11
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    A lot of the time, people with HIV don't know they have it.
    It's basically symptomless.
    I think the laws requiring disclosure only require it when the person knows they have HIV.

    These laws seem entirely reasonable to me. I think several states have them in place, and they all should. People who do not disclose are a menace to their sexual partners.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I think the laws requiring disclosure only require it when the person knows they have HIV.

    These laws seem entirely reasonable to me. I think several states have them in place, and they all should. People who do not disclose are a menace to their sexual partners.
    They are reasonable, but what with privacy laws and people being able to get tested under fake names at free clinics, it becomes well-nigh impossible for states to keep accurate databases of who has been tested and who therefore "knows" they have HIV.
    It's hard to prove someone knew they had it, to the extent that would be required to convict them of murder.

    With the situation being what it is, the onus is basically on you, the individual, to use universal precaution, ie to assume everybody has HIV until proven otherwise, just like health care providers do.
    Last edited by 1069; 04-11-10 at 12:42 PM.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    They are reasonable, but what with privacy laws and people being able to get tested under fake names at free clinics, it becomes well-nigh impossible for states to keep accurate databases of who has been tested and who therefore "knows" they have HIV.
    It's hard to prove someone knew they had it, to the extent that would be required to convict them of murder.

    With the situation being what it is, the onus is basically on you, the individual, to use universal precaution, ie to assume everybody has HIV until proven otherwise, just like health care providers do.
    To add to this statement, it's also difficult to "prove" that a person did not inform his or her sexual partner about his or her HIV status.
    You basically only have the partner's word for it.
    You might think, "Well, nobody would knowingly have sex with an HIV-infected person, so that proves they were never informed."
    But that would be a patently untrue assumption, and it proves nothing, not to the standards the court requires in order to convict someone.

    The privacy laws in place are necessary to protect people with HIV from being discriminated against at work, in the housing market, by insurance companies, and many other ways.

    HIV is becoming more of a chronic, manageable illness- like diabetes- than a "fatal" one.
    Many people infected with HIV today will live long enough to die of something entirely unrelated.
    That is not to say it isn't a terrible thing to become infected with; it's just to point out how long these people live, and how ordinary they appear, and how we really need to look at the way society and the law treats them.
    Laws made back when the HIV virus was typically fatal within seven years of infection might no longer be adequate today, when people live thirty years or more with this virus.

  4. #14
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    With the situation being what it is, the onus is basically on you, the individual, to use universal precaution, ie to assume everybody has HIV until proven otherwise, just like health care providers do.

    That's where I'm at. Morally, a person should tell a potential lover about any STD they know they have but the person with HIV may not even know it. I think having a law in place is a slippery slope that could potentially injure innocent people.

    All I know is if it were me, I would never move a relationship to that level without having agreed upon monogamy and having tests first.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    That's where I'm at. Morally, a person should tell a potential lover about any STD they know they have but the person with HIV may not even know it. I think having a law in place is a slippery slope that could potentially injure innocent people.

    All I know is if it were me, I would never move a relationship to that level without having agreed upon monogamy and having tests first.
    Yeah, ditto; I just hope this marriage lasts.
    I can't imagine putting myself out there again, trying to find someone else.
    I'd rather join a convent.

  6. #16
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Yeah, ditto; I just hope this marriage lasts.
    I can't imagine putting myself out there again, trying to find someone else.
    I'd rather join a convent.


    I hear ya. I always told Gary that if he left me I'd swear off men and just get another cat or two.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post

    I hear ya. I always told Gary that if he left me I'd swear off men and just get another cat or two.
    I'm afraid I have become far too lazy to ever pursue another relationship. I don't want to have to go through all the BS of impressing someone all over again.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  8. #18
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I'm afraid I have become far too lazy to ever pursue another relationship. I don't want to have to go through all the BS of impressing someone all over again.

    Just thinking about it makes me tired.



    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    I'm kind of in ten's boat on this one. Even if you made this law, it would be a pretty unenforcable law, as most "thought crimes" are. Ideally we'd all hope that someone wouldn't be that much of a bastard, but I would support cases where someone intentionally and maliciously acts to spread a deadly disease, they would be punished.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should those with HIV/Aids be required by law to tell their lover they have HIV/a

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    right now, it is a fatal, contagious disease. If you knowingly expose someone to it without their knowledge when you had the opportunity to tell them about it, then I consider the act to be akin to attempted murder or manslaughter.
    Depraved indifference at the very least.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •