View Poll Results: Does the word democracy upset you?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 11.54%
  • No

    21 80.77%
  • Not Sure

    1 3.85%
  • Other

    1 3.85%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 168

Thread: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

  1. #1
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    From Wikipedia:
    Democracy is a political government carried out either directly by the people (direct democracy) or by means of elected representatives of the people (Representative democracy). The term is derived from the Greek: δημοκρατία - (dēmokratía) "rule of the people",[1] which was coined from δῆμος (dêmos) "people" and κράτος (krátos) "power", in the middle of the fifth-fourth century BC to denote the political systems then existing in some Greek city-states, notably Athens following a popular uprising in 508 BC.[2] Even though there is no specific, universally accepted definition of 'democracy',[3] there are two principles that any definition of democracy includes: equality and freedom.[4][dubious – discuss] These principles are reflected in all citizens being equal before the law and having equal access to power.[5] and the freedom of its citizens is secured by legitimized rights and liberties which are generally protected by a constitution.[6][7]
    To me it seems that most of the time when people use the word democracy, they are using it as shorthand for representative democracy and not direct democracy. However, they will always draw a correction from someone.

    My question is, are people simply mistaken about the word democracy and automatically assume that people speak of direct democracy or is something else going on?
    Last edited by tacomancer; 04-10-10 at 12:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Why would I be upset at one of the greatest terms ever invented?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    I think I get a little bummed that people are so poorly educated that they don't understand how our form of democracy works. We are a constitutional republic, not a straight democracy, so our founding principles trump mass rule. I don't care how many Christians there are here, for instance, the rule of law trumps their wishes at times. I don't care how many people voted for Al Gore in 2000, our electoral college is what selects our president.

    I wish all Americans were required to complete the citizenship classes required of those who become naturalized citizens. AND pass the ****ing test.

    Just imagine how much more pleasant this board would become.

  4. #4
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    From Wikipedia:


    To me it seems that most of the time when people use the word democracy, they are using it as shorthand for representative democracy and not direct democracy. However, they will always draw a correction from someone.

    My question is, are people simply mistaken about the word democracy being somewhat undefined and automatically assume that people speak of direct democracy or is something else going on?
    Not upset at all, but there are two camps that misuse it, those who want to use a populist aproach to circumvent the constitution and shorthanders. While it's true that our republic has an element of democracy, it is still carried out by a republic system of representation and limited by a constitution so I think even though the term democracy is in and of itself fine, when used as an appeal to popularity in lieu of protocol it needs correction.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #5
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I think I get a little bummed that people are so poorly educated that they don't understand how our form of democracy works. We are a constitutional republic, not a straight democracy, so our founding principles trump mass rule. I don't care how many Christians there are here, for instance, the rule of law trumps their wishes at times. I don't care how many people voted for Al Gore in 2000, our electoral college is what selects our president.

    I wish all Americans were required to complete the citizenship classes required of those who become naturalized citizens. AND pass the ****ing test.

    Just imagine how much more pleasant this board would become.
    Quoted for truth.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #6
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I think I get a little bummed that people are so poorly educated that they don't understand how our form of democracy works. We are a constitutional republic, not a straight democracy, so our founding principles trump mass rule. I don't care how many Christians there are here, for instance, the rule of law trumps their wishes at times. I don't care how many people voted for Al Gore in 2000, our electoral college is what selects our president.

    I wish all Americans were required to complete the citizenship classes required of those who become naturalized citizens. AND pass the ****ing test.

    Just imagine how much more pleasant this board would become.
    The Electoral College has nothing to do with true direct or indirect democracy, it is just how the Founders decided to have the system work. The EC is one of the biggest flaws in this government, along with allowing Lobbying.

  7. #7
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    To me it seems that most of the time when people use the word democracy, they are using it as shorthand for representative democracy and not direct democracy. However, they will always draw a correction from someone.
    Like me.

    I hate the word "democracy" like I hate the word "controversy." Both are abused and overused.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    My question is, are people simply mistaken about the word democracy being somewhat undefined and automatically assume that people speak of direct democracy or is something else going on?
    People tend to use "democracy" encapsulate government where the people have some sort of say in what's going on. If they get to vote on something -- whether it is a vote cast directly on an issue on a ballot, or cast indirectly by voting for a candidate -- then that's what they call that phenomenon.

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

    -- Benjamin Franklin
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    The Electoral College has nothing to do with true direct or indirect democracy, it is just how the Founders decided to have the system work. The EC is one of the biggest flaws in this government, along with allowing Lobbying.
    The electoral college is a way of mitigating some of the potentially negative effects of direct democracy. It was designed to give less populated areas as much of a voice in the campaign and election process as heavily populated urban areas. And, it may be one of the biggest flaws in this government, IN YOUR OPINION, but in my opinion, it's worked well for us for almost 300 years.


  9. #9
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    The Electoral College has nothing to do with true direct or indirect democracy, it is just how the Founders decided to have the system work. The EC is one of the biggest flaws in this government, along with allowing Lobbying.
    I disagree, while the popular vote seems to make sense, when you look at population densities and political leans it is not that simple, without the EC L.A., NYC, and a few other major cities would basically determine the direction of the federal, the electoral college to a degree prevents this IMO.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Do you know what word I hate? Terrorism. Talk about overused and on its way to becoming meaningless.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •