View Poll Results: Does the word democracy upset you?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 11.54%
  • No

    21 80.77%
  • Not Sure

    1 3.85%
  • Other

    1 3.85%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 168

Thread: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    Not once did I say failure. Try again bud.
    You've expressed your opinion, it's been duly noted, but in the dearth of evidence you've provided, the majority of us have given your opinion the credit it deserves, which is very little.

  2. #32
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Frankly, the Presidency and the Federal Government should never have become so powerful, that who gets elected President could make us or break us. We're supposed to have limited government and seperation of powers that are intended to protect us even if Dr. Evil wins the Presidency. Some of our Founders actually thought this through, and attempted to create a system that could survive even the incompetent or ill-intentioned. It is our departure from the Constitution that has put us in this mess, not the EC.
    I agree, nor did I ever state that the EC was the end of freedom or that all other checks and balances regarding separation of powers would be null and void simply because one candidate was elected due to an EC error or flaw. Can you dig it?

  3. #33
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You've expressed your opinion, it's been duly noted, but in the dearth of evidence you've provided, the majority of us have given your opinion the credit it deserves, which is very little.
    Perhaps you lack the insight to notice the degree of the flaw instead. Move along cheerleader.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    Perhaps you lack the insight to notice the degree of the flaw instead. Move along cheerleader.
    My insight is sufficient to digest the evidence you've provided to bolster your views, which has been negligible.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,286

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    I agree, nor did I ever state that the EC was the end of freedom or that all other checks and balances regarding separation of powers would be null and void simply because one candidate was elected due to an EC error or flaw. Can you dig it?
    Yup. I just don't agree that the EC is a problem. It is one of the ways in which we were intended to be something other than a pure democracy, as was the State appointment of Senators (another thing we probably should not have thrown out.)

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #36
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    My insight is sufficient to digest the evidence you've provided to bolster your views, which has been negligible.
    Your insight is sufficient enough to digest Lonney Tunes. Appeal to Popularity is one of the most innane and pathetic attempts at undermining a persons argument and completely and utterly fallicious, meaning that it has no merit. Can you digest that? How does that evidence factor in?

    Like I said, go play cheerleader somewhere else.

  7. #37
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Yup. I just don't agree that the EC is a problem. It is one of the ways in which we were intended to be something other than a pure democracy, as was the State appointment of Senators (another thing we probably should not have thrown out.)
    The EC would not have any problems if we simply addressed this one problem, then the EC would perhaps be the one true best and most efficient methods of election that the world has ever seen.

  8. #38
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    One of my primary objections to Bush the Lesser was that he fundamentally expanded the power of the presidency through the use of executive orders and breaching the rights enshrined in the constitution & bill of rights. The presidency became significantly more powerful during his presidency.
    It wasn't unprecedented however problematic, Clinton used the EO quite frequently, in fact the largest two expansions of presidential power were Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt, the latter being dangerously so.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,286

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It wasn't unprecedented however problematic, Clinton used the EO quite frequently, in fact the largest two expansions of presidential power were Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt, the latter being dangerously so.

    Didn't you mean FDR?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #40
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,575

    Re: Do you get upset at the word democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I disagree. A constitutional republic is more moral, because it protects the rights of the minority.
    You Americans sure do have funny ways to describe a political regime.

    America is a representative democracy for that matter, and all existing democracies have laws that are made to prevent what is called "the majority's tyranny".
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •