View Poll Results: Would ya?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    3 9.68%
  • no

    28 90.32%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You know, Goshin...I could probably get a doctor to sign off on my physical need for an abortion. But why should I HAVE TO? I'm an adult woman who is raising two children. Am I that incapable of deciding what is the best path for me and my kids?

    The arrogance behind the assumption that someone else has the right to make that decision for me makes my blood boil.
    Especially your husband.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    I'm pro-life, so this wouldn't change my stance on abortion.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Especially your husband.
    She doesn't have one.

  4. #24
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    Heck no. I would not change my position at all. Abortion is a horrible choice for birth control. It is kinda disgusting to even consider it birth control if you ask me.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,179

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    But that doesn't do anything to address the fact that sometimes, going through with a pregnancy will result in the death of the mother and/or the child. In that case, and only those cases, I would continue to support abortion, as I do now.
    You do realize that very few abortions are actually performed for a legitimate health reason, right?


    Look...if I shoot some dude dead, I will have to satisfy a jury (or at least, the solicitor) that I did so because he was a threat to my life.

    Maybe holding abortion to the same standard wouldn't be quite so unreasonable, especially since we're talking about a baby here, not an adult criminal.

    (general rant follows, fair warning)


    I hate to tell some of you, but we're talking about two lives here, and it isn't all about you and what you want or need. You ought to have to have a pretty good reason before killing a baby.

    We (everyone) villify women like Susan Smith, who killed her own children, yet let someone dare say that maybe, just maybe, you ought to have a good reason before being allowed to kill your unborn child and people act as if you are some kind of idiot.

    It gets tiresome. It isn't a tumor, it isn't a mouse, it is a baby. So maybe in the first few weeks in doesn't look much like one, so what... should we be allowed to kill newborns for the crime of being deformed or ugly? So for the first few weeks it doesn't have enough brain to be sentient... if you fricking leave it alone for a few months it WILL be sentient!

    I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to get an abortion for a legitimate risk to your life... I'm just saying that it isn't so damn unreasonable to ask someone to provide a decent reason before allowing them to end the life of the baby in their womb.

    It blows my mind that so many of the same people who agonize over the issue of putting a murderer to death, who badmouth the military because once in a while civilians in the middle of a war-zone get killed, don't bat an eye over putting an unborn baby to death with no need for any reason other than "mommy doesn't want me."

    It isn't arrogant to expect someone to provide a damn reason why before allowing them to kill their baby. So it's in your womb... location doesn't alter humanity. So it's dependent on your body... a baby will be dependent on someone for their life for many years; a sick person may be dependent on hospital staff until they get better. These are not good arguments.

    If it's nobody's business if you have an abortion, or whether you have a good reason for it, then it's nobody's business that Susan Smith decided to kill her children or why. Both events end innocent human life.

    A man is held liable for 18 years of child support, whether he wanted a baby or not... "well, you had sex with her, you should have known she could get pregnant!" Yet asking a woman to tolerate a baby depending on her for just 9 months for the same reason, unless she has a good reason why not, is arrogant and tyrannical. What hypocrisy.

    One day a spot on a stick turns blue and a woman says "I have an unwanted non-human lump of tissue in my womb, which I will have removed through abortion because I don't want to be pregnant right now. This is not a baby, and it's nobody's business but mine." Some years later another strip turns blue for that same woman, and she says "Oh I'm so happy, I'm having a baby! There's a life growing inside of me! My boyfriend doesn't want a baby though, but screw him, I'll make him pay child support anyway. Isn't everyone so happy for me?"

    Honestly, does nobody see just a bit of a contradiction there?? The inconsistent hypocrisy of it makes my blood boil.

    (end rant. We now return to your normal, mild-mannered Goshin.)

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #26
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    No, it wouldn't change anything. I'd still be for keeping first trimester abortions legal.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    It isn't a tumor...
    Except when it is, as in the case of hydatidiform moles, which are actually far more common, especially among certain ethnic and geographic populations, than one might think.

    it isn't a mouse...
    True; it's far less relevant than a mouse, which is a sentient creature.

    ... it is a baby.
    Bwahaha. Puh-leeze.

  8. #28
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You do realize that very few abortions are actually performed for a legitimate health reason, right?


    Look...if I shoot some dude dead, I will have to satisfy a jury (or at least, the solicitor) that I did so because he was a threat to my life.

    Maybe holding abortion to the same standard wouldn't be quite so unreasonable, especially since we're talking about a baby here, not an adult criminal.

    (general rant follows, fair warning)


    I hate to tell some of you, but we're talking about two lives here, and it isn't all about you and what you want or need. You ought to have to have a pretty good reason before killing a baby.

    We (everyone) villify women like Susan Smith, who killed her own children, yet let someone dare say that maybe, just maybe, you ought to have a good reason before being allowed to kill your unborn child and people act as if you are some kind of idiot.

    It gets tiresome. It isn't a tumor, it isn't a mouse, it is a baby. So maybe in the first few weeks in doesn't look much like one, so what... should we be allowed to kill newborns for the crime of being deformed or ugly? So for the first few weeks it doesn't have enough brain to be sentient... if you fricking leave it alone for a few months it WILL be sentient!

    I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to get an abortion for a legitimate risk to your life... I'm just saying that it isn't so damn unreasonable to ask someone to provide a decent reason before allowing them to end the life of the baby in their womb.

    It blows my mind that so many of the same people who agonize over the issue of putting a murderer to death, who badmouth the military because once in a while civilians in the middle of a war-zone get killed, don't bat an eye over putting an unborn baby to death with no need for any reason other than "mommy doesn't want me."

    It isn't arrogant to expect someone to provide a damn reason why before allowing them to kill their baby. So it's in your womb... location doesn't alter humanity. So it's dependent on your body... a baby will be dependent on someone for their life for many years; a sick person may be dependent on hospital staff until they get better. These are not good arguments.

    If it's nobody's business if you have an abortion, or whether you have a good reason for it, then it's nobody's business that Susan Smith decided to kill her children or why. Both events end innocent human life.

    A man is held liable for 18 years of child support, whether he wanted a baby or not... "well, you had sex with her, you should have known she could get pregnant!" Yet asking a woman to tolerate a baby depending on her for just 9 months for the same reason, unless she has a good reason why not, is arrogant and tyrannical. What hypocrisy.

    One day a spot on a stick turns blue and a woman says "I have an unwanted non-human lump of tissue in my womb, which I will have removed through abortion because I don't want to be pregnant right now. This is not a baby, and it's nobody's business but mine." Some years later another strip turns blue for that same woman, and she says "Oh I'm so happy, I'm having a baby! There's a life growing inside of me! My boyfriend doesn't want a baby though, but screw him, I'll make him pay child support anyway. Isn't everyone so happy for me?"

    Honestly, does nobody see just a bit of a contradiction there?? The inconsistent hypocrisy of it makes my blood boil.

    (end rant. We now return to your normal, mild-mannered Goshin.)
    I do agree with you, it a baby isn't going to be life-threatening in anyway, and the mother doesn't want the baby, she can allow someone to adopt the child. To kill the baby is murder, but sometimes, it quite frankly has to be done: when the mother and/or the baby will die at birth.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  9. #29
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I do agree with you, it a baby isn't going to be life-threatening in anyway, and the mother doesn't want the baby, she can allow someone to adopt the child. To kill the baby is murder, but sometimes, it quite frankly has to be done: when the mother and/or the baby will die at birth.
    I think that most reasonable people would agree with that, but that is not the question.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you change your stance on abortion if ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Except when it is, as in the case of hydatidiform moles, which are actually far more common, especially among certain ethnic and geographic populations, than one might think.



    True; it's far less relevant than a mouse, which is a sentient creature.



    Bwahaha. Puh-leeze.
    Exactly. Babies are precious. Zygotes are not. If I started thinking that babies and zygotes were equally precious, it would inevitably reduce the significance I attach to babies. Idiocy is not without consequence, after all.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •