View Poll Results: Which of the following do you perceive as terrorism?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deliberately shooting a person to death, motivated with his nationality

    8 25.81%
  • Being a member of a terrorist organization

    17 54.84%
  • Murdering a person with stones/fists, motivated with his nationality

    9 29.03%
  • Bombing a foreign government's stracture/a foreign army's structure, motivated with political causes

    17 54.84%
  • None of the above/Other(what other?)

    8 25.81%
  • McDonald's... I'm lovin' it.

    6 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Terrorism

  1. #21
    In a house by the river
    MetalGear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denmark, Grena
    Last Seen
    05-16-11 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: Terrorism

    ...amongst other things.

  2. #22
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGear View Post
    Terrorists are nationalists.
    According to your opinion, but I'm quite certain that your opinion is not that all of the nationalists are terrorists, if you get my meaning.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #23
    In a house by the river
    MetalGear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denmark, Grena
    Last Seen
    05-16-11 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    According to your opinion, but I'm quite certain that your opinion is not that all of the nationalists are terrorists, if you get my meaning.
    Yep. But id have to disagree strongly with them. If they aren't nationalists, what are they?

  4. #24
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGear View Post
    Yep. But id have to disagree strongly with them. If they aren't nationalists, what are they?
    Is the guy from my example a terrorist?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGear View Post
    Yep. But id have to disagree strongly with them. If they aren't nationalists, what are they?
    Anarchists?

  6. #26
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    So he wouldn't be a terrorist?
    I can't see us seeing him as a terrorist. We would of course need to look more into it.

    If he killed the people just because they were British then I would think he was a nutter.

    If he killed the people because of their political activities in Afghanistan then he would not really be killing them because of their Nationalities.

    In addition to be a terrorist, he would have to have more, he would have to believe that his killing of the British people was going to cause terror and that that terror was going to result in him achieving his political objectives.

    Normally people need a structure behind them in order to be able to come up with these ideas.

    Hence this person appears more to be someone who has lost their mind for some reason.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  7. #27
    In a house by the river
    MetalGear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denmark, Grena
    Last Seen
    05-16-11 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Is the guy from my example a terrorist?
    I dont know. Terrorists are nationalists, but a different branch of nationalism; islamic nationalists. Did your Afghan man kill them because they are in his country, or because they posed a threat to both his country and islamic heritage?

  8. #28
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    I can't see us seeing him as a terrorist. We would of course need to look more into it.

    If he killed the people just because they were British then I would think he was a nutter.

    If he killed the people because of their political activities in Afghanistan then he would not really be killing them because of their Nationalities.

    In addition to be a terrorist, he would have to have more, he would have to believe that his killing of the British people was going to cause terror and that that terror was going to result in him achieving his political objectives.

    Normally people need a structure behind them in order to be able to come up with these ideas.

    Hence this person appears more to be someone who has lost their mind for some reason.
    Has lost their mind right in the middle of a British tea-club.
    The likelihood is high I'm certain, but what is it that differs between this man from my example and the Mumbai shooting?
    (Except of the location, casualty number, and the obvious physical data)
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #29
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGear View Post
    I dont know. Terrorists are nationalists, but a different branch of nationalism; islamic nationalists. Did your Afghan man kill them because they are in his country, or because they posed a threat to both his country and islamic heritage?
    An Afghan citizen decides to kill British nationals.
    His intention was to kill British nationals, people who hold a British citizenship.

    Why could he possibly choose to murder British nationals?
    That should have been obvious, the question is if he, knowing his motives, is a terrorist.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #30
    In a house by the river
    MetalGear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denmark, Grena
    Last Seen
    05-16-11 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: Terrorism

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    An Afghan citizen decides to kill British nationals.
    His intention was to kill British nationals, people who hold a British citizenship.

    Why could he possibly choose to murder British nationals?
    That should have been obvious, the question is if he, knowing his motives, is a terrorist.
    You haven't answered my question. Incidentally i dont know what the hell he is thinking because im not a psychic.
    Now, i could just say "well, he has a gun, he killed white people and he is brown. Therefore, he must be a terrorist". Or i could come at it from a different angle, which is what im trying to do; did your Afghan man kill them because they are in his country, or because they posed a threat to both his country and Islamic (more accurately, religious) heritage?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •