View Poll Results: What should be done about Iran's supposed nuclear ambitions?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full out war

    2 10.53%
  • Bomb the nuclear sites

    6 31.58%
  • Countries should stop all trading with Iran

    7 36.84%
  • More sanctions

    8 42.11%
  • Encourage Iranian citizens to rise against government

    10 52.63%
  • Make a better deal with Iran to get them to stop

    3 15.79%
  • Continue to monitor sites to verify into

    8 42.11%
  • Demand public proof of no nuclear weapon ambitions

    7 36.84%
  • Do nothing

    1 5.26%
  • Other

    2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

  1. #11
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Massive efficient sanctions
    I don't think sanctions are a good idea. That would just hurt people who can do nothing to change the situation as we have all seen by them doing their best to do over the past few months. Indeed according to that video I put up in the Iran Nukes section that might just work in gathering the people more on side with their government.... come to think of it so might your other two ideas.
    Last edited by alexa; 03-31-10 at 09:26 AM.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  2. #12
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,207

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    I don't think sanctions are a good idea. That would just hurt people who can do nothing to change the situation as we have all seen by them doing their best to do over the past few months. Indeed according to that video I put up in the Iran Nukes section that might just work in gathering the people more on side with their government.... come to think of it so might your other two ideas.
    I disagree.
    While the Iranian people would indeed suffer from the sanctions, the sanctions' target would be the Iranian regime, and I do not believe that it would cause a change of hearts among those who already oppose the tyrannical regime.

    At the end of the day, the objective is to prevent the Iranian regime from producing nuclear weapons.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 03-31-10 at 09:40 AM.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #13
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I disagree.
    While the Iranian people would indeed suffer from the sanctions, the sanctions' target would be the Iranian regime, and I do not believe that it would cause a change of hearts among those who already oppose the tyrannical regime.

    At the end of the day, the objective is to prevent the Iranian regime from producing nuclear weapons.
    why is it ok for israel to own nukes, with its chronic history of precipitating armed action against soverign states, but iran, which has not initiated a hostile action since the early 1800's, is to be forbidden from developing such weaponry
    please let us know why such a disparate stand should not also be found hypocritical
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    If military or economic intervention becomes necessary in the future, it should be handled through the United Nations. Our track record in Iran is awful and the last thing we need is another Iraq.
    UN can't do anything. They just write resolutions while the world fall apart. Maybe send some few peace soldiers to negotiate, or whatever.

    It won't be another Iraq if US keeps themselves to destroy the nuclear facilities and then leave. That's why Israel probably would do a better job, because they have a history of solving wars in a quick matter.



    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    why is it ok for israel to own nukes, with its chronic history of precipitating armed action against soverign states, but iran, which has not initiated a hostile action since the early 1800's, is to be forbidden from developing such weaponry
    please let us know why such a disparate stand should not also be found hypocritical
    Because there is no threat that Israel will use nukes against any other peaceful nation or pass it off to someone else. We also should prevent any nation from getting nukes, because we do not want every single nation in the world to have nuclear weapons. However, Iran having nukes will not be good, and could also be a easy source for terrorist. At least North Korea is sealed off, Iran isn't but is just as corrupt. A terrorist with a nuke will have no return address and will have no problems of destorying any western city.

  5. #15
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Well, first they should warn Iran, check their sites and still propose to let them enrich uranium abroad. Then they should santion them and warn them that they may bomb their sites. If nothing is done, then bomb the sites and leave right afterwards. Don't try to make Iran stable, just make sure that they get hold of no nuclear weapons.

    Operation like that will probably not take more than a week. Actually it will probably be better if Israel does it, because they are much more efficient.
    As I said in my original post, bombing their sites would start another war. The operation may take a week, but what about after that? You think they'll just say "uncle"? I think that's being overly optimistic. Especially if Israel did it. Iran would have a much harder time waging war with America, considering we are thousands of miles away. But Israel is much closer, and it's possible that other neighboring countries would join Iran in their retaliation. Even if America did bomb the sites, they might just attack Israel anyways just because they are allies with us.

  6. #16
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    UN can't do anything. They just write resolutions while the world fall apart. Maybe send some few peace soldiers to negotiate, or whatever.

    It won't be another Iraq if US keeps themselves to destroy the nuclear facilities and then leave. That's why Israel probably would do a better job, because they have a history of solving wars in a quick matter.
    Because there is no threat that Israel will use nukes against any other peaceful nation or pass it off to someone else. We also should prevent any nation from getting nukes, because we do not want every single nation in the world to have nuclear weapons. However, Iran having nukes will not be good, and could also be a easy source for terrorist. At least North Korea is sealed off, Iran isn't but is just as corrupt. A terrorist with a nuke will have no return address and will have no problems of destorying any western city.
    i love this silly argument.
    because we can trust israel to do the right thing
    so what that they have a chronic history of initiating hostile action against its neighbors
    we can trust israel to do the right thing
    somebody needs to read the Goldstone report and then explain to us why we can trust israel to do the right thing
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    As I said in my original post, bombing their sites would start another war. The operation may take a week, but what about after that? You think they'll just say "uncle"? I think that's being overly optimistic. Especially if Israel did it. Iran would have a much harder time waging war with America, considering we are thousands of miles away. But Israel is much closer, and it's possible that other neighboring countries would join Iran in their retaliation. Even if America did bomb the sites, they might just attack Israel anyways just because they are allies with us.
    They could, but I think they will find that Israel with support from the US is a hard target to beat. Attacking targets far away is more difficult than defending and Iran won't be able to attack Israel very efficently, especally since Iran is a poor country without a very good army.

    I don't think they will dare, but if it happends, then it's a good opportunity for the US to destroy all public bouldings, military and palaces for Irans leaders. They won't like that and will probably stop fighting. If not, you can pretty much just ignore them. They don't have a military anyway.
    Last edited by Camlon; 03-31-10 at 10:58 AM.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i love this silly argument.
    because we can trust israel to do the right thing
    so what that they have a chronic history of initiating hostile action against its neighbors
    we can trust israel to do the right thing
    somebody needs to read the Goldstone report and then explain to us why we can trust israel to do the right thing
    First off, the Goldestone report have been heavily critizised and it was made from UN. For instance, they said in the report that Hamas only fired two missled against Israel before the Gaza offensive, when the answer is more like 100. It's not a very good report.

    But the report as far I have read in the summary mention nukes no where in the report. The danger of Israel passing on their nuclear weapons, especially to terrorist is very low. While for Iran it's very high. As well, the risk of Israel using nukes is also much lower than Iran using nukes. Another argument is that we don't want any other country to have nuclear weapons. Why should Iran get nuclear weapons, when we don't even want Germany to have nukes?
    Last edited by Camlon; 03-31-10 at 11:16 AM.

  9. #19
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,207

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    First off, the Goldestone report have been heavily critizised and it was made from UN. For instance, they said in the report that Hamas only fired two missled against Israel before the Gaza offensive, when the answer is more like 100. It's not a very good report.

    But the report as far I have read in the summary mention nukes no where in the report. The danger of Israel passing on their nuclear weapons, especially to terrorist is very low. While for Iran it's very high. As well, the risk of Israel using nukes is also much lower than Iran using nukes. Another argument is that we don't want any other country to have nuclear weapons. Why should Iran get nuclear weapons, when we don't even want Germany to have nukes.
    It's very inspiring to see that you actually take your time to deal with history revisionism.

    I simply ignore those posts.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: What should be done about Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

    Misuderstood what you were saying. I thought you wrote recidivism.
    Last edited by Camlon; 03-31-10 at 11:14 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •