View Poll Results: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • A license/permit required to exercise certain or all 1st amendment rights

    6 15.79%
  • A license/permit required to exercise certain or all 2nd amendment rights

    22 57.89%
  • Registration requirement of some or all of your books and other 1st amendment related things

    2 5.26%
  • Registration requirement of some or all of your firearms and other weapons.

    30 78.95%
  • A ban on certain books,religions, what the press can report and etc.

    3 7.89%
  • A ban on certain weapons.

    24 63.16%
  • A ban on certain individuals from exercising 1st amendment rights

    3 7.89%
  • A ban on certain individuals form exercising 2nd amendment rights

    17 44.74%
  • A total ban on 1st amendment rights

    2 5.26%
  • A total ban on 2nd amendment rights

    3 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 375

Thread: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights?

  1. #31
    User Progressive86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    08-10-10 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    95

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    This makes no sense.
    How doesn't it make sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    What would licensing gun owners do that you believe would be beneficial? Criminals aren't going to get licensed (nor register their guns).
    There's really nothing beneficial about it but at the same time I don't think it's something that hurts the law abiding citizens in any way either.

    And like I said earlier, There's really nothing you can do to stop the criminals from having unlicensed and unregistered guns.
    "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it comes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

  2. #32
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive86 View Post

    There's really nothing beneficial about it but at the same time I don't think it's something that hurts the law abiding citizens in any way either.
    It infringes on a constitutional right. It may not "hurt" you, but it highly offends me. I'm sure you know the quote about trading freedoms for security.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #33
    User Progressive86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    08-10-10 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    95

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Permits and licenses are forms of permission. If you have to ask permission, it's not a right; it's a granted privilege.
    That was a good comeback. I'm beginning to think that you and lizzie have the right stance on this particular issue.
    "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it comes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

  4. #34
    User Progressive86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    08-10-10 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    95

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It infringes on a constitutional right. It may not "hurt" you, but it highly offends me. I'm sure you know the quote about trading freedoms for security.
    "Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."

    - Benjamin Franklin
    Last edited by Progressive86; 03-31-10 at 12:56 AM.
    "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it comes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

  5. #35
    John Schnatter 2012 Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-12 @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    638

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    A ban on certain individuals form exercising 2nd amendment rights.
    This is the only reasonable thing I can think of. This should only be used against felons though, not law abiding citizens or petty criminals.
    Vote John Schnatter (Papa John) 2012!

  6. #36
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive86 View Post
    I'm beginning to think that you and lizzie have the right stance on this particular issue.
    To me, what it boils down to is simple. Government systems, by their nature (because of the nature of man) has a desire to increase power and control. It's not surprising, but it's just that way. This country was a great experiment in the history of mankind (so far). It's founding was based on rights of the individual and limited government. Our founders were highly intelligent and reasonable men who understood human nature and systems of power. They tried to insure that liberty could be maintained constitutionally, but they understood that a free people must desire freedom over security and must be of high moral and intellectual substance for it to work. So far, we have managed to maintain our freedoms somewhat, but when people are no longer willing to risk personal security and hand over their rights willingly, in exchange for security in the form of money, goods, personal safety, etc, freedoms will start diminishing. My personal values are akin to those of the founders. I take offense to government encroachment on constitutional rights.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #37
    Student Pal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    06-28-10 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    211

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't like this because it implies that gun ownership is a government granted privilege and not a right.
    I believe gun ownership should be a privelege granted by the government. Driving is a privelege granted by the government because of the damage a person can do with a car if they don't know how to operate it. Guns can do just as much damage but actually have the intended purpose of killing or wounding people, while that's just a regrettable side effect of cars. No one should be allowed to use something that could easily kill innocent people if used incorrectly without the proper training. Considering the amount of training Police Officers must go through before they're entrusted with guns it just seems like a given to me that ordinary people who want to use guns should have to have some sort of training.

    Of course, I understand that the Constitution disagrees with me. I don't need reminding.

  8. #38
    User jacksbrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    05-23-12 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    103

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    I believe gun ownership should be a privelege granted by the government. Driving is a privelege granted by the government because of the damage a person can do with a car if they don't know how to operate it. Guns can do just as much damage but actually have the intended purpose of killing or wounding people, while that's just a regrettable side effect of cars. No one should be allowed to use something that could easily kill innocent people if used incorrectly without the proper training. Considering the amount of training Police Officers must go through before they're entrusted with guns it just seems like a given to me that ordinary people who want to use guns should have to have some sort of training.

    Of course, I understand that the Constitution disagrees with me. I don't need reminding.
    I've always thought it was kinda silly to give guns special treatment just because they happened to have been invented and something new at the time the constitution was written. Like stated above, cars are licensed regestered. The driver has to be of age, trained, licenced and insured. And the purpose of a car is just to transport someone from here to there. Yet we have guns that are made for one purpose, and that's to kill, and we're suppose to let any Tom, Dick, or Harry that can reach the top of a counter and flop the money down to buy all he wants. That's just plain silly. Why does someone's right to own a gun outwaigh my right to go outside without having to dodge bullets?

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksbrat View Post
    I've always thought it was kinda silly to give guns special treatment just because they happened to have been invented and something new at the time the constitution was written. Like stated above, cars are licensed regestered. The driver has to be of age, trained, licenced and insured. And the purpose of a car is just to transport someone from here to there. Yet we have guns that are made for one purpose, and that's to kill, and we're suppose to let any Tom, Dick, or Harry that can reach the top of a counter and flop the money down to buy all he wants. That's just plain silly. Why does someone's right to own a gun outwaigh my right to go outside without having to dodge bullets?
    When was the last time you dodged a bullet?
    How about a licensed and registered car?

    I can tell you from personal experience that dodging cars happens with great frequency, more so than any bullets.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What are reasonable restrictions/infringements on 1st and second amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I say someone can't own a gun that really has no practical use in self-defense or sport. An anti-material rifle is one, an RPG is another.
    Self-defense is always practical.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •