View Poll Results: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this particular young man is a perfect example

    13 17.33%
  • No, never.

    39 52.00%
  • The justice system needs another alternative for extremely young, potentially dangerous offenders

    18 24.00%
  • Other, please explain

    5 6.67%
Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 519

Thread: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

  1. #361
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    YOu were wondering about a slippery slope argument? You just made one.
    Figured since that's the way this game was being played...

    I'm going to assume that what jallman meant was the average adult doesn't know the difference between a "guilty" and a "no contendere" plea. I'm sure if it was explained to them, they would understand it just fine. All I'm proposing is that the same criteria be held to a child.

    Put another way, exactly how would you determine if someone is old enough to be charged as an adult? Are you going with the subjectively decided age of 18? Is there something magical that happens at 18 that grants them full understanding that someone 17 years and 364 days old does not possess?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Sooo...just so we're on the same page. Since the average adult doesn't understand the distinction are we not trying anyone anymore? Let's just let em all go!
    I didn't say anything of the sort and you know it.

  3. #363
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Figured since that's the way this game was being played...

    I'm going to assume that what jallman meant was the average adult doesn't know the difference between a "guilty" and a "no contendere" plea. I'm sure if it was explained to them, they would understand it just fine. All I'm proposing is that the same criteria be held to a child.

    Put another way, exactly how would you determine if someone is old enough to be charged as an adult? Are you going with the subjectively decided age of 18? Is there something magical that happens at 18 that grants them full understanding that someone 17 years and 364 days old does not possess?
    Hardly. But, in order for justice to be uniform and equitable to everyone, some point must be defined and adhered to rather than leaving it open to the subjectivity of "is he mature enough".

  4. #364
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Hardly. But, in order for justice to be uniform and equitable to everyone, some point must be defined and adhered to rather than leaving it open to the subjectivity of "is he mature enough".
    I have defined a point. It's if they're capable of understanding what they did was wrong and the nature of the punishment for such an act, they should be treated as an adult who understands the same things. Your point is based of an arbitrarily determined age which doesn't actually mean anything. You honestly think someone 17 1/2 should go to juvie for a couple years if they commit a crime like this?

    And enough with the "it doesn't become you" and "I'm surprised at you." It's a saturday afternoon. Relax.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    And enough with the "it doesn't become you" and "I'm surprised at you." It's a saturday afternoon. Relax.
    I didn't make those comments today. And it still doesn't become you to be so contrary.

  6. #366
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I didn't make those comments today. And it still doesn't become you to be so contrary.
    Dude. This is a debate site. We're all contrary here.

    Answer me. If a person one day shy of their 18th birthday shot their stepmother in the stomach with a shotgun, killing her and her unborn child, would you try them as a child?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Dude. This is a debate site. We're all contrary here.

    Answer me. If a person one day shy of their 18th birthday shot their stepmother in the stomach with a shotgun, killing her and her unborn child, would you try them as a child?
    If 18 was the limitation defined by law, yes, I would try them as a child.

    Now I have not defined 18 as the defining number here. I would define 15 if it were me but that's beside the point.

    We have two different criminal justice systems: one for minors and one for adults. It makes no sense to me to have two but to arbitrarily change the point of entry from minor to adult based on a subjective examination of the child.

  8. #368
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    If 18 was the limitation defined by law, yes, I would try them as a child.

    Now I have not defined 18 as the defining number here. I would define 15 if it were me but that's beside the point.

    We have two different criminal justice systems: one for minors and one for adults. It makes no sense to me to have two but to arbitrarily change the point of entry from minor to adult based on a subjective examination of the child.
    Okay then, why 15? Obviously you think there is some level of understanding that seperates a 15 year-old from a 14 year-old. What's your criteria?

    Changing the point of entry makes perfect sense. If a murderer has a child's understanding of the law and their crime, they should not be tried as an adult. I don't see a sixth grader having a child's understanding. He tried to cover up the crime. He knew what he did was wrong, he knew he would be punished. He's capable of understanding the court system. I see no reason he should be tried as someone who didn't understand what he was doing or the consequences.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  9. #369
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Understanding isn't the only factor in responsibility. An adult is automatically presumed to be responsible, if he isn't insane. A child may understand just fine but still not have the ability to control himself or make proper decisions.


    Good points ^. I would simply add that they don't have all their brains yet. No joke. They don't.

    Children/teens simply don't appreciate the ramifications of their actions.
    They don't look ahead and they don't reason well.

    Almost every adult I know will say "It's a miracle I made it to adulthood" When I was a kid I ......."
    The reason they say that is because almost all kids make bad choices in their lives at some time.

    I would never want a child to be held/tried as an adult.


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  10. #370
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by missypea View Post
    Good points ^. I would simply add that they don't have all their brains yet. No joke. They don't.

    Children/teens simply don't appreciate the ramifications of their actions.
    They don't look ahead and they don't reason well.

    Almost every adult I know will say "It's a miracle I made it to adulthood" When I was a kid I ......."
    The reason they say that is because almost all kids make bad choices in their lives at some time.

    I would never want a child to be held/tried as an adult.
    The brain continues to develop until the age of 25. Should we try a 23 year-old as a child?

    Brain development can't be the only standard.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •