View Poll Results: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this particular young man is a perfect example

    13 17.33%
  • No, never.

    39 52.00%
  • The justice system needs another alternative for extremely young, potentially dangerous offenders

    18 24.00%
  • Other, please explain

    5 6.67%
Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 519

Thread: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

  1. #331
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    And yet, amazingly enough, most kids manage NOT to kill their stepparents. I'm not saying that the stepmom did anything, though I've certainly seen cases in which they have. It could be that the child (and this is still a child) is mentally ill.

    I've seen for myself that fractured families cause damage that you don't see on the surface.
    Every murderer has a sob story and they all have a reason for why they did it. This "child" is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and to understand the consequences of killing someone. That's all the info I need to know that he should be treated like an adult.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Every murderer has a sob story and they all have a reason for why they did it. This "child" is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and to understand the consequences of killing someone. That's all the info I need to know that he should be treated like an adult.
    If this is the case, do you also support removing the age of consent for sex? Based upon an 11-year-old knowing right from wrong, can a 30-year-old have sex with an 11-year-old? Should 11 year olds start driving? Can we allow 11-year-olds to drink? Serve in the military? Vote?

  3. #333
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If this is the case, do you also support removing the age of consent for sex? Based upon an 11-year-old knowing right from wrong, can a 30-year-old have sex with an 11-year-old? Should 11 year olds start driving? Can we allow 11-year-olds to drink? Serve in the military? Vote?
    God love the slippery slope.

    An 11 year-old knows the consequences of murder. They do not know the consequences of sex to the degree that they can make an informed opinion. They are not physically capable of serving in the military or reaching the gas pedals. Alcohol is also harmful to developing minds to the degree that our govenment regulates it, like it regulates all dangerous substances.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    God love the slippery slope.

    An 11 year-old knows the consequences of murder. They do not know the consequences of sex to the degree that they can make an informed opinion. They are not physically capable of serving in the military or reaching the gas pedals. Alcohol is also harmful to developing minds to the degree that our govenment regulates it, like it regulates all dangerous substances.
    You don't think there is a certain blur between fantasy like, say tv and video games, and the realistic permanence of murder in a kid's mind?

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    God love the slippery slope.
    It's not a slippery slope. It is an extension of your own argument, that 11 year olds are culpable because they know right from wrong. I'm asking you to test the internal integrity of your argument.

    They do not know the consequences of sex to the degree that they can make an informed opinion.
    Why?

    They are not physically capable of serving in the military or reaching the gas pedals.
    Plenty of short people drive cars and serve in the military.

    Alcohol is also harmful to developing minds to the degree that our govenment regulates it, like it regulates all dangerous substances.
    Wait. I thought an 11-year-old's mind was fully developed...

  6. #336
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    You don't think there is a certain blur between fantasy like, say tv and video games, and the realistic permanence of murder in a kid's mind?
    No. I mean, maybe if you're three, but unless he's mentally handicapped, a sixth grader knows the difference between killing someone on a video game and killing someone in real life. They also know that death is forever and murderers go to jail. Further, every sixth grader I've dealt with was of sufficient awareness to understand that kids aren't punished as hard as adults when they commit crimes. Given all that and the severity of the crime, there's no reason to pretend he didn't know what he was doing.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    No. I mean, maybe if you're three, but unless he's mentally handicapped, a sixth grader knows the difference between killing someone on a video game and killing someone in real life. They also know that death is forever and murderers go to jail. Further, every sixth grader I've dealt with was of sufficient awareness to understand that kids aren't punished as hard as adults when they commit crimes. Given all that and the severity of the crime, there's no reason to pretend he didn't know what he was doing.
    I just hold the belief that in order for a kid to do something like this, the parent had to have failed somewhere.

  8. #338
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It's not a slippery slope. It is an extension of your own argument, that 11 year olds are culpable because they know right from wrong. I'm asking you to test the internal integrity of your argument.


    Why?


    Plenty of short people drive cars and serve in the military.
    I am 100% certain you are using a slippery slope argument. Do you need a link? I am also not very interested in playing the slippery slope game. I'd really like to focus on the current issues instead of creating ridiculous what if scenarios to waste time. But if you insist, you can open a thread to discuss each of these instances and we can debate the logic of allowing 11 year-olds to serve in the military.


    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Wait. I thought an 11-year-old's mind was fully developed...
    Who said that? Certainly not I. Neither is an 18 year-olds. I guess now you don't want to try them as adults either?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  9. #339
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I just hold the belief that in order for a kid to do something like this, the parent had to have failed somewhere.
    I am in complete agreeance. Unfortunately, bad parenting isn't a crime. Plus, I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of inmates also have failed parents. Ultimately though, people are responsible for their own actions. Even kids.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    I am in complete agreeance. Unfortunately, bad parenting isn't a crime. Plus, I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of inmates also have failed parents. Ultimately though, people are responsible for their own actions. Even kids.
    No, bad parenting isn't a crime but it is a factor that mitigates the culpability of the child in criminal matters. And that is as it should be.

Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •