View Poll Results: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this particular young man is a perfect example

    13 17.33%
  • No, never.

    39 52.00%
  • The justice system needs another alternative for extremely young, potentially dangerous offenders

    18 24.00%
  • Other, please explain

    5 6.67%
Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 519

Thread: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

  1. #321
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Why does age matter? Because society (everywhere) says it does. I am not legally entitled to vote, I have only just become legally entitled to apply for a driver' licence, I am not legally entitled to drink alcohol, I am not legally entitled to buy cigarettes, I am not legally entitled to sign a contract, I am not legally entitled to hold public office, I am not legally entitled to be a director of a company, and I am not legally entitled to join the armed forces. And I am not 11 years of age - so if someone who is 16 and a half cannot do all these things, how can he be considered a responsible adult, and prosecuted as such? How much less so an 11 year old?
    I guess that I should have said that age matters regarding each matter differently, which is kinda the way that it already is. Voting should be left to age 18. Drinking could be 18, but it is 21. Driving should be 18. Murder or other felonies committed by a person should be assessed according to psychologist and generally any person over 7 or 8 knows that killing a person is wrong and bad. Any person over 10 should be tried as an adult. Held separately and perhaps eligible for parole faster if their behaviour warrents it, but depending on the crime, they could and should be able to face the death penalty if applicable.

  2. #322
    The Philosoph from Europe bennyhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    02-03-11 @ 04:24 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    710

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Why dont they just throw the father in prison for life, if he can keep his guns locked up? Thats his responsiblity to protect his children from themselfs. How many small kids accidently shoot there friends, while trying to impress them with Dads gun and why is it loaded in the first place.? The father should do time not his son.
    Liberalism is freedom from tyranny. People of world unite to free us from Wallstreet!

    Republicanism is just another word for remaining selfish and ego-centric!

  3. #323
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    04-15-10 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by bennyhill View Post
    Why dont they just throw the father in prison for life, if he can keep his guns locked up? Thats his responsiblity to protect his children from themselfs. How many small kids accidently shoot there friends, while trying to impress them with Dads gun and why is it loaded in the first place.? The father should do time not his son.
    I tried to read the story, but the link keeps shutting down Did the kid shoot the pregnant mom on purpose, or was it an accident?

  4. #324
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    I tried to read the story, but the link keeps shutting down Did the kid shoot the pregnant mom on purpose, or was it an accident?
    It appears like he did it on purpose, but when a grade schooler does something like this, I have to wonder what in the hell is going on in the home. And, what the relationship was with his stepmom. This wasn't a random act, it was targeted at a specific person. The prosecutor's psychiatrist says that the boy can't be rehabilitated, but I'd say that there needs to be an unbiased psychiatric evaluation by the court FIRST before this proceeding is allowed to occur.

    Something happened...I can almost guarantee it.

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    This is a kid living in a rural area. I have a few questions. For instance, how did he get access to a loaded shotgun? What was the family relationship with his dad/stepmom? Does he have a history of mental illness. When you see something like this, it's almost always related to something traumatic. For instance, did the kid feel like he was going to be replaced by his dad's new baby? Was there a history of violence in the home? Was the stepmom abusive?

    All of these things play a role in why a kid might do something unthinkable. But, if you look at all the facts, there is usually something there that makes sense in a twisted kind of way.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Can you imagine killing your child because he was about to kill you?

  7. #327
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    This is a kid living in a rural area. I have a few questions. For instance, how did he get access to a loaded shotgun? What was the family relationship with his dad/stepmom? Does he have a history of mental illness. When you see something like this, it's almost always related to something traumatic. For instance, did the kid feel like he was going to be replaced by his dad's new baby? Was there a history of violence in the home? Was the stepmom abusive?

    All of these things play a role in why a kid might do something unthinkable. But, if you look at all the facts, there is usually something there that makes sense in a twisted kind of way.
    Nothing had to happen. As a stepmom myself, I can tell you that we are not favorite people a lot of the time. As as a stepkid, I hated my stepdad, for pretty much no reason from what I can tell now (obviously I have a much better relationship with presently). Step parents are often villified by kids. Sometimes deservingly, but often not.

    Kids today suck. I have no sympathy for this little monster and I am very sceptical that something horrible happened in his past that hasn't come out yet. He's just a typical American kid, raised on cheetoes, violent video games and not enough boundries.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Nothing had to happen. As a stepmom myself, I can tell you that we are not favorite people a lot of the time. As as a stepkid, I hated my stepdad, for pretty much no reason from what I can tell now (obviously I have a much better relationship with presently). Step parents are often villified by kids. Sometimes deservingly, but often not.

    Kids today suck. I have no sympathy for this little monster and I am very sceptical that something horrible happened in his past that hasn't come out yet. He's just a typical American kid, raised on cheetoes, violent video games and not enough boundries.
    Ummm, Kelzie...why do you sound like gunny?

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Kids today suck. I have no sympathy for this little monster and I am very sceptical that something horrible happened in his past that hasn't come out yet. He's just a typical American kid, raised on cheetoes, violent video games and not enough boundries.
    And yet, amazingly enough, most kids manage NOT to kill their stepparents. I'm not saying that the stepmom did anything, though I've certainly seen cases in which they have. It could be that the child (and this is still a child) is mentally ill.

    I've seen for myself that fractured families cause damage that you don't see on the surface. My daughter is dealing with major abandonment issues due to her dad that most people who don't know her well would have no idea about. ON the surface she seems like the perfect child...good grades, highly motivated, avoids drugs & alcohol, extremely caring and sweet. She has panic attacks at times and can lash out unpredictably towards the people who love her. She's been in therapy for three months now, and I'm just starting to see how deep it goes. It sucks.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 04-09-10 at 02:37 PM.

  10. #330
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Ummm, Kelzie...why do you sound like gunny?
    Say whosawhat? I'm pretty sure he's not a stepmom...last I checked anyway!
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •