View Poll Results: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this particular young man is a perfect example

    13 17.33%
  • No, never.

    39 52.00%
  • The justice system needs another alternative for extremely young, potentially dangerous offenders

    18 24.00%
  • Other, please explain

    5 6.67%
Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 519

Thread: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

  1. #241
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yes. Because, speaking generally, a juvenile secure facility is a far better place for a young offender, no matter how violent, than an adult facility. Sending 10 year olds to prison is an archaic, inhumane, and barbaric practice.
    OK then. We will agree to disagree. And when the state of Pennsylvania calls either of us for our opinion we'll offer it. Oh...thats right...they already CALLED a psychiatrist...and he felt the kid belonged in BIG BOY prison...PROBABLY because the kid at least at this point and time clearly demonstrates he is a danger to society.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Your objective standard is emotional in essence. It's the same "it's for the children" emotional cry we get every time something bad happens to a kid.

    Subjectivity does not = Knee jerk or emotional.
    Find where I said "it's for the children". That hasn't been my argument here at all. It's been about fair, objective, and consistent application of the law. You might have picked up on that if you weren't so given to subjectivity.

  3. #243
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,495

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No the case is not closed. That's just another frustrated (read: emotional) attempt to end the debate on your word alone.

    There is still an appeals process, etc. And, if you weren't so clouded with emotion, you would remember that the opening post wasn't specifically about this kid, but a general question as to whether an 11 year old should EVER be tried as an adult.

    Breathe. Just breathe.
    No it's an attempt to let the reality of the situation sink into yours.

    He is being tried as an adult. Nothing left to talk about.

    I gave my opinion, and you don't like it. So what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #244
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I would rather have the law apply consistently and objectively in every case so that every kid has the benefit of mitigated culpability that as designed into the law rather than have a subjective and emotional reaction to the crime eclipse the equitable treatment of the child defendant.
    OK...but if the laws were applied 'consistently' then there would be little room for leniency or variance for people OVER the age of 18...right?

    Again...we'll agree to disagree.

  5. #245
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,495

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Find where I said "it's for the children". That hasn't been my argument here at all. It's been about fair, objective, and consistent application of the law. You might have picked up on that if you weren't so given to subjectivity.
    He's 11

    He's 11

    He's 11

    That was basically your argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #246
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yes. Because, speaking generally, a juvenile secure facility is a far better place for a young offender, no matter how violent, than an adult facility. Sending 10 year olds to prison is an archaic, inhumane, and barbaric practice.
    For the record...SPEAKING GENERALLY...I agree with you.

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The laws are as recent as 2006. I don't think they were bad even if knee jerk.
    We will probably have to agree to disagree on this one. I saw juvenile crime rise after we began trying 16-17 year olds as adults, because the gangs started to recruit 14 & 15 year olds to commit homicides so that the older members wouldn't receive life sentences. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, and it may be something we never intended.

    Trying juveniles as adults is NOT an effective solution to violent juvenile crime.

    We don't send juveniles to adult facility's until they are adults.
    16 and 17 year old offenders are routinely send to state prisons after being tried as adults. There are very few states with separate facilities to house juvenile offenders tried as adults. They are two totally separate systems.

    http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bja/182503.pdf

    There are a number of studies that have shown that recidivism is significantly higher for juveniles incarcerated with adults than for similar juveniles who are placed in juvenile facilities. (one example: The Recidivism of Violent Youths in Juvenile and Adult Court: A Consideration of Selection Bias -- Myers 1 (1): 79 -- Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice) That's why many professionals in the fields of criminal justice, law enforcement, and juvenile justice do not support trying juveniles under the age of 18 as adults.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No it's an attempt to let the reality of the situation sink into yours.

    He is being tried as an adult. Nothing left to talk about.
    Then kindly exit the discussion since you have nothing left to talk about. Those of us who indulge rational conversation of ideas rather than regurgitation of the opening post will continue to do so without the taint of emotional opining to hinder our debate.

    I gave my opinion, and you don't like it. So what?
    Would you like to wiggle your fingers beside your ears and stick your tongue out at us, too?

  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If the child is convicted even if given a life sentence he will be in a juvenile facility until at least 18!

    We do not throw children into a state or Federal penitentiary!
    No, we throw them into state prisons. DAILY. Thousands of them. I worked with several dozen juvenile gang members who were tried as adults and sent to state prison.

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should an 11 year old ever be tried as an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    He's 11

    He's 11

    He's 11

    That was basically your argument.
    Then you failed on all counts of comprehension.

Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •