View Poll Results: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 36.36%
  • No

    33 42.86%
  • Maybe

    1 1.30%
  • Other

    15 19.48%
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 358

Thread: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

  1. #1
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    I'm watching "Fareed Zakaria GPS" on CNN and Mexico's President Felipe Calderon is calling for the U.S. to start legalizing drugs to stop the drug violence in Mexico. He says that the U.S. is the highest consumer in the world of illegal drugs, so U.S. demand dictates the prices for Mexican drug suppliers. So if the U.S. started legalizing drugs, Mexican drug violence would decrease and help bring back order.

    So my question is this: if U.S. consumption of illegal drugs is causing problems in Mexico, does the United States have the responsibility to legalize or decriminalize drugs so that Mexico loses it's black market as a drug supplier which will reduce drug violence in Mexico?

  2. #2
    User Hayekian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    03-30-10 @ 12:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    22

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Yes, absolutely. Legalize heroin also to put Taliban right out of business.

    Not to mention ending the war on civil liberties here, and the massive social destruction that comes with making private tragedies a social one.

    Camille Paglia excoriated the baby boom generation one time for their craven cowardice in not just maintaining the war on drugs but escalating it. Here here.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    We must do things for our benefit, the side effects may or may not help the Mexicans.
    Legalize, tax, control, and lose freedoms ????

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayekian View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Legalize heroin also to put Taliban right out of business.

    Not to mention ending the war on civil liberties here, and the massive social destruction that comes with making private tragedies a social one.

    Camille Paglia excoriated the baby boom generation one time for their craven cowardice in not just maintaining the war on drugs but escalating it. Here here.
    What are you trying to say?

    I have a good idea, but I doubt if we have the quality of people to implement these brilliant notions of mine.

  5. #5
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I'm watching "Fareed Zakaria GPS" on CNN and Mexico's President Felipe Calderon is calling for the U.S. to start legalizing drugs to stop the drug violence in Mexico. He says that the U.S. is the highest consumer in the world of illegal drugs, so U.S. demand dictates the prices for Mexican drug suppliers. So if the U.S. started legalizing drugs, Mexican drug violence would decrease and help bring back order.

    So my question is this: if U.S. consumption of illegal drugs is causing problems in Mexico, does the United States have the responsibility to legalize or decriminalize drugs so that Mexico loses it's black market as a drug supplier which will reduce drug violence in Mexico?
    Right. All those thousands of criminals would go straight and become model citizens. In reality they would just adapt, increasing other crimes such as extortion, kidnapping, theft. Organized crime does not go away when laws are changed. They just engage in different crimes. The violence could even become worse.

    Securing our borders would go a long way to curtailing the Mexican drug trade, not to mention reducing ilegals.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #6
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Right. All those thousands of criminals would go straight and become model citizens. In reality they would just adapt, increasing other crimes such as extortion, kidnapping, theft. Organized crime does not go away when laws are changed. They just engage in different crimes. The violence could even become worse.

    Securing our borders would go a long way to curtailing the Mexican drug trade, not to mention reducing ilegals.
    But that doesn't answer the question: Do you believe the U.S. should legalize or decriminalize drugs to reduce drug violence in Mexico?

  7. #7
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    But that doesn't answer the question: Do you believe the U.S. should legalize or decriminalize drugs to reduce drug violence in Mexico?
    Pot should be legalized. Addictive drugs like Heroin, crack and Meth should not.
    Like I said, I doubt if changing laws will reduce the violence. Those thugs aren't going anywhere and will just switch to something else.
    Securing our borders should be the number one priority. If they can get a truckload of drugs in, they can get WMDs in. If the traffickers can not get their drugs across the border the drugs are worthless. We do have the technology and resources to close our borders, just not the determination.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  8. #8
    User Hayekian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    03-30-10 @ 12:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    22

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Right. All those thousands of criminals would go straight and become model citizens. In reality they would just adapt, increasing other crimes such as extortion, kidnapping, theft. Organized crime does not go away when laws are changed. They just engage in different crimes. The violence could even become worse.

    Securing our borders would go a long way to curtailing the Mexican drug trade, not to mention reducing ilegals.
    You exagerate. Many would go straight, many wouldn't. The reality is that the massive drug profits generated by prohibition creates an "attractive nuisance" that draws many people who aren't inherently larcenous or violent.

  9. #9
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Pot should be legalized. Addictive drugs like Heroin, crack and Meth should not.
    Like I said, I doubt if changing laws will reduce the violence. Those thugs aren't going anywhere and will just switch to something else.
    Securing our borders should be the number one priority. If they can get a truckload of drugs in, they can get WMDs in. If the traffickers can not get their drugs across the border the drugs are worthless. We do have the technology and resources to close our borders, just not the determination.
    You may doubt it. But legalizing booze following prohibition surely did decrease violence.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #10
    User Hayekian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    03-30-10 @ 12:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    22

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Pot should be legalized. Addictive drugs like Heroin, crack and Meth should not.
    Like I said, I doubt if changing laws will reduce the violence. Those thugs aren't going anywhere and will just switch to something else.
    Securing our borders should be the number one priority. If they can get a truckload of drugs in, they can get WMDs in. If the traffickers can not get their drugs across the border the drugs are worthless. We do have the technology and resources to close our borders, just not the determination.
    You have to separate violence that's caused by being under the influence of the drug and violence generated by the fact that it's illegal - junkies robbing people, dealers or illegal cartels blowing away the competition, terrorists funding their ops with drug profits.

    The reality is, take away the prohibition and 99 percent of the violence and "non-victimless" crime disappears also.
    Last edited by Hayekian; 03-28-10 at 01:00 PM.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •