View Poll Results: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 36.36%
  • No

    33 42.86%
  • Maybe

    1 1.30%
  • Other

    15 19.48%
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 358

Thread: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    I agree Mexico should legalize, so our problem is no longer their problem. But we should keep heroin, meth and crack illegal here and secure our borders. Securing our borders is the key.In a fantasy world only, the cost to seal our borders would be in the trillions of dollars, or more..It would make China's Great Wall undertaking seem as a walk in the park. If they can't get their drugs into the US the Mexican drug problem is over. All our drugs will then be Made in the USA....Nothing to be proud of.
    Legalizing drugs is like giving amnesty to all the murdering thugs that caused all the problems.
    Its the scum here in the USA, the drug users ,who have created this problem, the Mexicans and others has only answered the call.
    Solution: .....better people, in all areas, including a great many "law-makers".

  2. #62
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You think the Zetas and other scum in Mexico are just going to say "hey drugs are legal in the US, I guess we can't shoot our competition in Mexico and keep all the profits for our selves anymore"? Does Marijuana and other drugs stop becoming profitable just because there legal?
    The profit doesn't go to zero, but it does plummet. The prices are high partly because of the risk incurred by those who sell drugs. A competitor can break into the market, but they have to do so with an arsenal - guns to off rivals and subterfuge to hide from the authorities take money, and with inflexible demand they pass that on to the desperate addicts. A legalized, regulated market in America could allow the drugs to be made here, provide jobs here, and provide tax revenue here, instead of fund criminals there.

    how much is an 1/8 in California and other states with legalized medical Marijuana, I know back in the 90s when I used to smoke an 1/8 was 20 dollars,a dime was 10 dollars, a half oz was 50-60 dollars and an oz was 100-120 dollars and I think a quarter pound was around 250 dollars( I say "I think" because that is what my friends say they purchased that much for, I never purchased anything that big)?
    Medical marijuana isn't really legalized recreational marijuana. Even cocaine is a schedule II drug as it is used in hospitals for eye surgery. But what the hospitals pay for legal cocaine eyedrops has very little to do with the street price of cocaine.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think the motivation was so that the police do not have to waste their time of petty drug users. I think only a few "lets legalize drug idiots" assumed it was to reduce violence.
    Actually it does reduce violence because non-violent users are more likely to become violent offenders after incarceration, because the profits are less likely to be attractive enough for "bad" people to kill over, and because lower costs lead to less economic-compulsive crime (e.g. heroin addicts being burglars).

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, the cartels are going to start playing nice, just because drugs are legal in the United States? Somehow, I seriously doubt that.

    I think that instead of the United States legalizing drugs, Mexico should look into a serious death penalty for cartel members. It's not our fault that they can't fight crime that is committed in their own country.
    No, running a cartel won't be as profitable anymore, so you are less likely to be able to buy what you need to run a cartel, and the profits will be less likely to be of the kind to motivate desperate people to risk their lives.

  3. #63
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, not only do you want to legalize drugs, you want the drug industry to be nationalized? OMG!
    Umm, no, I said the drug industry would probably be mostly privatized. I was responding to a post that said that the drug industry may be partially government-run in some states.

  4. #64
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I wasn't forming an opinion. I was stating a fact and the fact is that Mexico decriminalized drugs in an attempt to curb cartel violence.
    Except your "fact" is incorrect, this is not why they did it, hell even jamesrage corrected you on this. It is just plain silly to even think that is why they decriminalized it, yet you are claiming it as fact now.. this is NOT why they decriminalized drugs.

    Why the hell would anyone think that Mexican decriminalization (mud puddle in the driveway) would effect violence that is a result of the US market (that huge ass lake in the backyard)? Your position and what you are stating to be factual is flat out wrong, and is completely nonsensical.
    Last edited by marduc; 03-28-10 at 03:49 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  5. #65
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Its the scum here in the USA, the drug users ,who have created this problem, the Mexicans and others has only answered the call.
    Solution: .....better people, in all areas, including a great many "law-makers".
    We have the technology and resources to secure our borders. One solution is to place our military bases on the border and let them actually defend the country and give the boys something to do while waiting to ship out.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #66
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I'm watching "Fareed Zakaria GPS" on CNN and Mexico's President Felipe Calderon is calling for the U.S. to start legalizing drugs to stop the drug violence in Mexico. He says that the U.S. is the highest consumer in the world of illegal drugs, so U.S. demand dictates the prices for Mexican drug suppliers. So if the U.S. started legalizing drugs, Mexican drug violence would decrease and help bring back order.

    So my question is this: if U.S. consumption of illegal drugs is causing problems in Mexico, does the United States have the responsibility to legalize or decriminalize drugs so that Mexico loses it's black market as a drug supplier which will reduce drug violence in Mexico?
    We should legalize drugs, especially Marijuana, for Their and OUR benefit.

    Drugs do not cause Violence, Illegal/Expensive Drugs, "The Trade", causes violence.
    The Mexican President is Correct in that respect.

    Not to mention exporting $10 Billion to foreign countries every year for an easily grown at home crop.
    and saving Tens of Billions more on enforcement; Police, Courts, Jails, etc.
    Nice to be able to lower state and Federal taxes.

    I don't want to pay $35,000 a year (and more taxes for the whole DEA/state systems) to keep someone caught with Two ounces of pot in Jail.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by mbig; 03-28-10 at 03:49 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  7. #67
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    We should legalize drugs, especially Marijuana, for Their and OUR benefit.

    Drugs do not cause Violence, Illegal/Expensive Drugs, "The Trade", causes violence.

    Not to mention exporting $10 Billion to foreign countries every year for an easily grown at home crop.
    and saving Tens of Billions more on enforcement; Police, Courts, Jails, etc.
    Nice to be able to lower state and Federal taxes.

    I don't want to pay $35,000 a year (and more taxes for the whole DEA/state systems) to keep someone caught with Two ounces of pot in Jail.
    Thanks.
    Meth on it's own does cause violence.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  8. #68
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post

    Meth on it's own does cause violence.
    It Can, more so than most/the vast majority of drugs and could be handled differently.

    But the Meth Strawman Doesn't refute the Gist/Bulk of my proposition.

    And [awful] Meth is oft used because it is a homemade Cheap drug.. which would be replaced by better less 'violent' ones if all were legalized/also cheap.
    -
    Last edited by mbig; 03-28-10 at 04:06 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  9. #69
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Meth on it's own does cause violence.
    Using that broad brush, alcohol on its own can cause violence.. we don't go around jailing people for drinking just because there is a potential for violence, instead we wait until there is actual violence. Why should we act differently for meth and jail people because of potential crimes.

    Hell If we are going to apply that reasoning, and go down that path, then maybe we should arrest people for being poor because not having money can cause people to steal.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    But that doesn't answer the question: Do you believe the U.S. should legalize or decriminalize drugs to reduce drug violence in Mexico?
    No, it is their problem, not ours......
    I like how other nations blame all their ills on the U.S. & ask for help while they simultaneously thumb their noses at us..........

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •