View Poll Results: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 36.36%
  • No

    33 42.86%
  • Maybe

    1 1.30%
  • Other

    15 19.48%
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 358

Thread: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

  1. #201
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    We are not living in the days of bootlegging.
    How are they differant? Yes I know the Mexican cartels behead people, but from an economic standpoint, how are they differant?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #202
    Advisor PonyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    06-24-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    587

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    They're different in several ways.

    1) There's more money at stake(to be lost)

    2) The cartels are 100 times more brazen.

    3) The cartels are dealing narcotics not alcohol.(two different addictions)

    The main difference is money. These cartels have billions to buy off government officials to get their way.

  3. #203
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    They're different in several ways.

    1) There's more money at stake(to be lost)
    There was plenty of money at stake during Prohibition. Besides, lower costs from a legal market would force a black market to greatly diminish.

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    2) The cartels are 100 times more brazen.
    Stuff like the Valentine's Day Massacre wasn't brazen? Besides, this is about the economics of the situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    3) The cartels are dealing narcotics not alcohol.(two different addictions)
    Both are in demand narcotics. From a societal standpoint, I don't see much of a differance

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    The main difference is money. These cartels have billions to buy off government officials to get their way.
    Another reason to take away their oligopolies. They will compete legitimately or die.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #204
    Advisor PonyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    06-24-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    587

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    There was plenty of money at stake during Prohibition. Besides, lower costs from a legal market would force a black market to greatly diminish.



    Stuff like the Valentine's Day Massacre wasn't brazen? Besides, this is about the economics of the situation.



    Both are in demand narcotics. From a societal standpoint, I don't see much of a differance



    Another reason to take away their oligopolies. They will compete legitimately or die.

    Okay, if you think gathering up these cartel families and sitting them down for a "narco power point" meeting is gonna wipe away greed, money, and power, then that's cool.

    I would love to be in this narco exec meeting. I wanna see the look on the Zeta families face when Calderone informs them of how things are gonna be done in Mexico. These cartels seem like such reasonable business men, so why wouldn't it go over well!

  5. #205
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    Okay, if you think gathering up these cartel families and sitting them down for a "narco power point" meeting is gonna wipe away greed, money, and power, then that's cool.

    I would love to be in this narco exec meeting. I wanna see the look on the Zeta families face when Calderone informs them of how things are gonna be done in Mexico. These cartels seem like such reasonable business men, so why wouldn't it go over well!
    Nothing about legalization is going to make these men nice and calm. In black market economies, there are essentially no property rights, contractual obligations, or courts to settle disputes. The only way to settle anything is with firearms. When you make the market legal there are far more easy ways to settle things and prices go done undercutting the cartels and allowing competitors to come in.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #206
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    No it just doesn't work like that. Cartels are gonna be Cartels no matter what happens. If drugs are legal in the US then those Cartels are still going to be in deadly competition.
    Cartels aren't going to be able to compete with legitimate manufacturers, any more than moonshiners are able to compete with Jack Daniels.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #207
    Advisor PonyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    06-24-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    587

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Cartels aren't going to be able to compete with legitimate manufacturers, any more than moonshiners are able to compete with Jack Daniels.
    You guys really cant fathom just how big these cartels are, and how far their tentacles can/do reach. If you cant see the big picture then you'll never understand the magnitude of these operations. They're not bootleggers and this is not the mafia. And I'm not trying to be a dick but you all have no idea what you're talking about.

  8. #208
    Advisor PonyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    06-24-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    587

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Nothing about legalization is going to make these men nice and calm. In black market economies, there are essentially no property rights, contractual obligations, or courts to settle disputes. The only way to settle anything is with firearms. When you make the market legal there are far more easy ways to settle things and prices go done undercutting the cartels and allowing competitors to come in.
    These cartels own both markets. They call the shots not the government. They have submarines, helicopters, armies, jets, and an unlimited supply of money. Half of the Mexican government is influenced by the cartels. Mexico is one giant cartel > The Mexican Cartel. < Fact.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    These cartels own both markets. They call the shots not the government. They have submarines, helicopters, armies, jets, and an unlimited supply of money. Half of the Mexican government is influenced by the cartels. Mexico is one giant cartel > The Mexican Cartel. < Fact.
    So you are saying we won't be able to curtail their primary source of income because they already have so much money? That they would systematically bribe/extort/kill everyone who threatens their income, from head shops that start selling weed, to agro-businesses that grow it, to politicians writing laws about it?

  10. #210
    Advisor PonyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    06-24-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    587

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    So you are saying we won't be able to curtail their primary source of income because they already have so much money? That they would systematically bribe/extort/kill everyone who threatens their income, from head shops that start selling weed, to agro-businesses that grow it, to politicians writing laws about it?
    Exactly! Mexico is corrupt to the core. You gotta take into account that Mexico is not America. Do you have any idea how dependent the Latin/Central America is on drug money? Mexico doesn't even supply America with it's cocaine it's FARC/Colombia, and they produce 90% of it. The Cartels are the middle men, and they will do whatever it takes to protect their income. Look at what the Cartels are doing now, and just imagine how they would react to government run drug manufactures.

    Legalizing drugs would only fuel a full scale war. The Mexican government against every narco terrorist from Tijuana to Colombia.

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •