View Poll Results: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 36.36%
  • No

    33 42.86%
  • Maybe

    1 1.30%
  • Other

    15 19.48%
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 358

Thread: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

  1. #141
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,529

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    No. I am saying our children are different then theirs and drug use will increase among American children if drugs are legalized just as it is with alcohol.
    Are you seriously trying to argue that American youth don't have access to drugs now?

    Wouldn't it be just a little bit better if pot were being sold by someone with an incentive to check ID?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #142
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Portugal has about the per capita income of Puerto Rico. It is a dirt poor country. It is nothing like the US. Their culture is totally different and our children do have disposable income.. If you don't know the difference between American kids and children of Portugal I can't help you.
    Comparing The US to Portugal is beyond ridiculous.
    And this all effects the change in the rate of drug use post decriminalization how?

    I have already provided the Wickersham report which refutes your claim on alcohol usage, yet you still hold to it, and then use it as a foundation to expand upon.

    How about Great Britain, are they still to foreign for your ethnocentric tastes?

    British Crime Survey statistics showed that the proportion of 16- to 24-year-olds using cannabis slumped from 28% a decade ago to 21% now, with its declining popularity accelerating after the decision to downgrade the drug to class C was announced in January 2004.
    Cannabis use down since legal change | Society | The Guardian

    or here all US:

    "In sum, there is little evidence that decriminalization of marijuana use necessarily leads to a substantial increase in marijuana use."
    - National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine (IOM). 1999

    Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base

    "There is no strong evidence that decriminalization affects either the choice or frequency of use of drugs, either legal (alcohol) or illegal (marijuana and cocaine)."
    - C. Thies and C. Register. 1993

    "The available evidence indicates that the decriminalization of marijuana possession had little or no impact on rates of use.
    - E. Single. 1989. The Impact of Marijuana Decriminalization: An Update. Journal of Public Health 10: 456-466

    "Overall, the preponderance of the evidence which we have gathered and examined points to the conclusion that decriminalization has had virtually no effect either on the marijuana use or on related attitudes and beliefs about marijuana use among American young people.
    -- L. Johnson et al. 1981. Marijuana Decriminalization: The Impact on Youth 1975-1980. Monitoring the Future, Occasional Paper Series, paper 13, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan: Ann Arbor.

    I could go on, but I think that is more than enough evidence to counter your unsubstantiated bull**** claims.
    Last edited by marduc; 03-29-10 at 12:43 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  3. #143
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Evidence to support you claim? You have none. Mere speculation. Whereas we have studies that show there is no appreciable increase in usage when decriminalizing or legalizing.
    Evidence to support your claim? Portugal?
    Compare it to alcohol not other countries.
    When US corporate farms start producing pot in bulk it will become as popular as Mountain Dew.


    From the article:

    Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group)

    Read more: Drugs in Portugal: Did Decriminalization Work? - TIME

    There is the proof that pot use increased after legalization.
    Last edited by USA_1; 03-29-10 at 01:13 PM.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  4. #144
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Evidence to support your claim? Portugal?
    Compare it to alcohol not other countries.
    When US corporate farms start producing pot in bulk it will become as popular as Mountain Dew.
    Good, more jackasses need to be stoned so they're not as much of a jackass.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Evidence to support your claim? Portugal?
    Compare it to alcohol not other countries.
    When US corporate farms start producing pot in bulk it will become as popular as Mountain Dew.


    From the article:

    Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group)

    Read more: Drugs in Portugal: Did Decriminalization Work? - TIME

    There is the proof that pot use increased after legalization.
    Slight increase. Big ****ing deal.

  6. #146
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Slight increase. Big ****ing deal.
    It increased. That is all the matters. It did not drop like you falsely claimed. You asked for proof that drug use would rise for young people. I gave it to you, now you say "big deal". Pathetic.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    It increased. That is all the matters. It did not drop like you falsely claimed. You asked for proof that drug use would rise for young people. I gave it to you, now you say "big deal". Pathetic.
    I said hard drug use decreased. I said there was no appreciable increase in use of marijuana.

    You are rude. ignored.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 03-29-10 at 02:27 PM.

  8. #148
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Are you seriously trying to argue that American youth don't have access to drugs now?

    Wouldn't it be just a little bit better if pot were being sold by someone with an incentive to check ID?
    Not to mention an incentive to make sure it isn't laced with something dangerous.

  9. #149
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    From the article:

    Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group)

    Read more: Drugs in Portugal: Did Decriminalization Work? - TIME

    There is the proof that pot use increased after legalization.
    Oh yeah, that increase must have been due to decriminalization. I mean, there couldn't possibly be any other explanation, especially considering the other facts surrounding that snippet:

    Following decriminalization, Portugal had the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the E.U.: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%. Proportionally, more Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used marijuana.

    The Cato paper reports that between 2001 and 2006 in Portugal, rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined. Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group).

    New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003, and deaths related to heroin and similar drugs were cut by more than half. In addition, the number of people on methadone and buprenorphine treatment for drug addiction rose to 14,877 from 6,040, after decriminalization, and money saved on enforcement allowed for increased funding of drug-free treatment as well.

    So following drug decriminalization in Portugal:

    - Lowest EU rate of lifetime MJ use in people over 15.
    - More Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used MJ.
    - Lifetime use of heroin decreased decreased by almost 1%.
    - Lifetime use of all drugs among 7-9th grade decreased by almost 4%.
    - Deaths related to hard drugs decreased by more than 50%.

    But a slight increase in MJ use among 16-18 y/o? OMG that must be due to decriminalization. Forget these other facts, decriminalization must be responsible for the increase in MJ use among 16-18 y/o. There's just no other explanation!

    Cherry pick much?

  10. #150
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Should the U.S. legalize drugs for Mexico's benefit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Are you seriously trying to argue that American youth don't have access to drugs now?

    Wouldn't it be just a little bit better if pot were being sold by someone with an incentive to check ID?
    Of Course they do. But if pot were sold legally like beer, it would be infinitely easier for them to get and they would be smokin pot like they're drinkin beer now. Plus it's a lot easier to hide a joint then a twelve pack.

    Capitalism would take over the pot industry. Corporate farms and their labs would produce the most potent sh*t ever. It would be high quality and plentiful. It is easier to manufacture than liquor or beer and economies of scale would force prices to drop like a rock. It would be marketed like Coca Cola or Marlboros. It would be a growth industry kind of like a combination of the alcohol and tobacco industry.

    If they do legalize pot I will grow it in my garden and try to make a few bucks.
    Last edited by USA_1; 03-29-10 at 03:37 PM.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •