View Poll Results: do away with the electoral college?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    29 46.77%
  • no

    29 46.77%
  • other

    4 6.45%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 116

Thread: the electoral college

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Sorry, you've got that backwards.

    If it wasn't for the electoral college, smaller states would be utterly ignored in the Prez elections, because their lack of voters would make them of little value.

    As it is, since most small states give all their electoral votes to the candidate who wins their majority of voters, small states do matter.

    We are not a democracy and were not intended to be a democracy. We're a Republic, with built-in measures intended to prevent a tyranny of the majority.
    If anyone takes a good close look at the popular vote parliaments of Europe, they'll see how nutters those guys can be.

    No way in the world would I want an only popular vote government.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If anyone takes a good close look at the popular vote parliaments of Europe, they'll see how nutters those guys can be.

    No way in the world would I want an only popular vote government.
    And how does the electoral college guarantee the best guy wins? There really are only two choices. Popular vote is the only fair and sensible way to elect someone. Everyones vote matters.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  3. #33
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    And how does the electoral college guarantee the best guy wins? There really are only two choices. Popular vote is the only fair and sensible way to elect someone. Everyones vote matters.
    It doesn't and neither does the popular vote.

    The only fair way to do it, would be letting only those who contribute vote but that's another matter.

    The House is similar to a parliament, have you seen some of the garbage that gets some support in there.
    They have had quite a few bills come up trying to nationalize our private retirement accounts.

    Nut jobs.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #34
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    09-13-15 @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    265

    Re: the electoral college

    very interesting discussion here indeed

  5. #35
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: the electoral college

    Popular vote to me is chaos.
    A crazy attempt at an egalitarian utopia.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #36
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Popular vote to me is chaos.
    A crazy attempt at an egalitarian utopia.
    This makes no sense to me. One of the libertarian ideals is that all men are created equal. If that is true, why would the popular vote be a bad thing?

  7. #37
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    This makes no sense to me. One of the libertarian ideals is that all men are created equal. If that is true, why would the popular vote be a bad thing?
    I take my page on this from the Libertarian Socialists and the worker owned collectives.
    In a worker owned collective, you don't get a say unless you contribute(work) to the group.
    Essentially, you have to give before you can get.

    We want some amount of regulation on most parts of society, these regulations only exist because men operate the businesses, pollute the environment etc, which can all have effects on other people.

    Voting is one of those things that can have an effect on other people.

    Popular vote has proven to be chaotic and lets a lot of the crazies (Bachman and Pelosi) take office.
    Something that shouldn't happen.

    To keep men equal under the law, you have to restrain some of them.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #38
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I take my page on this from the Libertarian Socialists and the worker owned collectives.
    In a worker owned collective, you don't get a say unless you contribute(work) to the group.
    Essentially, you have to give before you can get.

    We want some amount of regulation on most parts of society, these regulations only exist because men operate the businesses, pollute the environment etc, which can all have effects on other people.

    Voting is one of those things that can have an effect on other people.

    Popular vote has proven to be chaotic and lets a lot of the crazies (Bachman and Pelosi) take office.
    Something that shouldn't happen.

    To keep men equal under the law, you have to restrain some of them.
    What would constitute earning the right to vote? Would it be military service? Paying taxes? Or something else?

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    What would constitute earning the right to vote? Would it be military service? Paying taxes? Or something else?
    Something, although I'm not so sure about military service.
    That would limit too many people and possibly create another Sparta situation.

    It would have to be something that most people would be able to do.
    I think community is very important but I think you should show it before getting the privileges.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: the electoral college

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Something, although I'm not so sure about military service.
    That would limit too many people and possibly create another Sparta situation.

    It would have to be something that most people would be able to do.
    I think community is very important but I think you should show it before getting the privileges.
    Personally, I can't think of particular task that would filter out crazy people such as Bachmann.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •