View Poll Results: How would you categorize education?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is a basic American right.

    17 38.64%
  • It is a privilege.

    19 43.18%
  • Other

    8 18.18%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Education Is A Right?

  1. #51
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    In essense....no person should be legally barred from learning, from reading a book, from trying to go to a school, from listening to a lecture, etc. People have a right to seek out knowledge. However the government is not required to pay for your education, for your book, for your lecture. The fact they do, and make it easy for you, is a privledge.
    Philosophically whether or not a public education is a "right" is very debatable. However, for all intents and purposes, it is a right in the United States that any legal resident or citizen has access to a public education from 1st through 12th grade. The government is legally compelled to provide for that right. To make it simply a privilege, the law would have to be changed.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #52
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    What do you think?
    Is an education (in general, public schooling, grade school, college, etc.) a basic right for Americans or is it a privilege for Americans?
    It is something you have because the state gives it to you -- thus a privilege.

  3. #53
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,068

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's not a right. But it is a necessity to the health and longevity of the Republic.
    I agree. Its not a right of the individual, but an obligation of a free-society that wishes to perpetuate itself. There is no bigger threat to our nation than an uneducated electorate. We are already seeing some evidence of that threat now.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    It is something you have because the state gives it to you -- thus a privilege.
    Isn't it a law that children under a certain age (maybe 16?) must attend school in some form or another?

  5. #55
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Isn't it a law that children under a certain age (maybe 16?) must attend school in some form or another?
    Depends on the state.

    And, that's just further evidence that education is not a right -- if you have the right to something, you can choose to NOT exercise that right to that something.

    Unless, of course, you agree that the government can compell you to vote or own a gun or go to a church (of your choice).

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Depends on the state.

    And, that's just further evidence that education is not a right -- if you have the right to something, you can choose to NOT exercise that right to that something.

    Unless, of course, you agree that the government can compell you to vote or own a gun or go to a church (of your choice).
    So it is neither really a right nor a privilege but rather a requirement.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    When we talk about education we are generally talking about being able to walk into a school building(which costs money to build), be taught by a teacher(who commands a salary and benefits), using books, lab equipment, computers and other resources to teach subject material.

    This is once again a confusion on the part of people assuming a right, when discussing a resource. Education is a resource, that costs time and money to provide. Rights don't cost money to provide. It does not cost the tax payer one penny for people to have the right to free speech, practice of religion, or bear arms. It does cost tax payers to provide education/healthcare/etc...

    Now, is it in the best interest of a government to provide access to education? Yes, I believe so. Having an educated populace is more beneficial than an uneducated, or sparsely educated population. However, I believe that education should remain a state issue, rather than a federal issue.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  8. #58
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So it is neither really a right nor a privilege but rather a requirement.
    Free access to education, in terms of equal protection is a right, but, like marriage, the issue there is the right to equal protection, not the education itself. People cannot be denied the education offered by a state based on their gender, race, religion, etc.

    State-supplied/sponsored education, like K-12 thru state schools, is a privilege, in that the state provides it to you. It need not do so; that you have it only because the state gives it to you means it is a privilege.

    State-sponsnored secondary education, like 2/4 year colleges, is a privilege as well.

    The state requires you to have an education consistent with its curriculum; it does not require you to obtain that education from any specific source.

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    I disagree SD. Education, in the U.S. at this point, in regards to schools is a privledge that the government chooses to provide and theoritically could, at any time, stop providing it if it so wished. So long as it does provide it though, due to other laws, it must administer it universally.

    However, even if laws changed and public education ceased to be offered by the government, the right to education would still be present because people could still strive to individually learn new information.

    Public Education in the United States is a federally mandated/funded privledge, not a right.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    So we have the right to bear arms in formation of a militia (which I am not against), but not to arm ourselves with education?
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    I could not resist such a large opening for this adage.
    Yes, I agree that education is a right in our advanced society; for those still in the stone age, there are no rights, except to have a stone..

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •