View Poll Results: How would you categorize education?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is a basic American right.

    17 38.64%
  • It is a privilege.

    19 43.18%
  • Other

    8 18.18%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: Education Is A Right?

  1. #21
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Awesome. So then stop reading all of my posts since according to you my opinion doesn't matter. Even though the question was asked as to whether or not it's a right, which would be an opinionated question. And the fact that this is an internet political board meant to exchange ideas and arguments from various political ideologies. We should in fact disallow anyone on this board who does not self-identify as a Republican or Democrat since everyone else doesn't matter. Stifle dissent, stifle opposition, stifle different political ideology.
    Ok. I will ignore you expanding the statement of a simple fact into some sort of attack on differences of opinion. The point wasn't stifling dissent. The point is that connecting the idea of education being a right to some old philosophers and their followers is not necessary because society has progressed since that time.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 03-26-10 at 07:05 PM.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Ok. I will ignore you expanding the statement of a simple fact into some sort of attack on differences of opinion. The point wasn't stifling dissent, it was based on the observation that needing to be convinced wasn't necessary in the grand scheme of things.
    Your point was to completely dismiss the opinions of some 13% of the electorate.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Your point was to completely dismiss the opinions of some 13% of the electorate.
    And? Ignoring is not stifling.

  4. #24
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's for the physical enforcement of rights and liberty. As I said, you'd have to make a damned good argument for me to buy into education being a right.
    I can tell you, I'm not convinced either, which is why I asked you. So far the only thing you've said is that "its a necessary thing," which I agree with, but are you also saying that its a privilege?

    I'll give you my reasoning:

    Its human nature to learn, as well as to teach. If we make education a special privilege, then it teaches kids that you have to earn EVERYTHING in life. I agree that we should earn most things, but some things we should be born with, like the right to education in a structured society. If we lived in a third world country, I would agree with you more.
    Last edited by Cilogy; 03-26-10 at 07:31 PM.


  5. #25
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    It's not a right, it's a responsibility of the parents of any child in our society.
    No it isn't, because not all parents are good teachers.

    I think it's a responsibility of the state to provide education and basic socialization to children. I think it's the responsibility of the state to provide elementary, high school, a vocational skill, and an academic education. People should be forced to learn an elementary and high school education but not a vocational skill nor an academic education. So every person should have the opportunity to learn a vocational skill or academic education so they can have the skills necessary to earn their own living and be less of a burden on the welfare system.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    I can tell you, I'm not convinced either, which is why I asked you. So far the only thing you've said is that "its a necessary thing," which I agree with, but are you also saying that its a privilege?

    I'll give you my reasoning:

    Its human nature to learn, as well as to teach. If we make education a special privilege, then it teaches kids that you have to earn EVERYTHING in life. I agree that we should earn most things, but some things we should be born with, like the right to education in a structured society. If we lived in a third world country, I would agree with you more.
    I think it's easier to argue a social contract opinion on it. But my whole point on making a good argument about it being a right is that I'm not steadfast on my opinion on this. I think a good argument could very well convince me that it can be considered a right.

    In our society, even if you forgo the necessity of education to Republic, education is necessary. We're not an industrial country anymore, meaning we don't produce products or manufacture as much. We're well more a high tech economy and in order to participate then in the market, you're going to need the education required to do that. Rights are things which are universal, so I'm not 100% sold on the right. However, social contract seems to fit much better. In that we've constructed a government and an economy which relies heavily on an educated populace. As such, we can reasonably argue that we need to provide at least some base level of education which is open to everyone so that they can participate and thrive in our society. Social contracts are not universal, and thus can be different from culture to culture.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,751

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    It's not a right, it's a privilege. It is, at least for primary education, a requirement and is provided, relatively free of charge, for all children of the appropriate age. Once you get to college age though, you're on your own.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #28
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think it's easier to argue a social contract opinion on it. But my whole point on making a good argument about it being a right is that I'm not steadfast on my opinion on this. I think a good argument could very well convince me that it can be considered a right.

    In our society, even if you forgo the necessity of education to Republic, education is necessary. We're not an industrial country anymore, meaning we don't produce products or manufacture as much. We're well more a high tech economy and in order to participate then in the market, you're going to need the education required to do that. Rights are things which are universal, so I'm not 100% sold on the right. However, social contract seems to fit much better. In that we've constructed a government and an economy which relies heavily on an educated populace. As such, we can reasonably argue that we need to provide at least some base level of education which is open to everyone so that they can participate and thrive in our society. Social contracts are not universal, and thus can be different from culture to culture.
    If we use the Social Contract argument too much, then "basic rights" really kind of lose their meaning. The SC put basic human rights on a pedestal, when they should technically be just general knowledge, or implied inalienable rights. Does that make sense? I'm having trouble trying to explain this.

    So from your standpoint, from birth, not everyone should have the right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's not a right, it's a privilege. It is, at least for primary education, a requirement and is provided, relatively free of charge, for all children of the appropriate age. Once you get to college age though, you're on your own.
    What does the student need, besides the willingness to learn and the basic capability to learn, in order to earn it? From the parents' view, yes its more of a privilege, because they are responsible for their children.


    Mind you, I agree that college level education is a privilege, and should remain so. But primary?
    Last edited by Cilogy; 03-26-10 at 07:45 PM.


  9. #29
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    What do you think?

    Is an education (in general, public schooling, grade school, college, etc.) a basic right for Americans or is it a privilege for Americans?
    As arcana said: I think a basic education should remain compulsory. As in elementary school and junior high.

    This whole discussion about whether we should classify or make education a right is irrelevant. Its a nitpicking of an afterthought.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #30
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Education Is A Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    This whole discussion about whether we should classify or make education a right is irrelevant. Its a nitpicking of an afterthought.
    Its relevant, because it affects how students get access to education, who gets access, and whether they even get access to begin with.

    If we were to as a tuition to primary education, then it excludes families who cannot afford it.


Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •