View Poll Results: Should B&B owners be allowed to refuse gay couples?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should be allowed to refuse anyone for any reason

    65 59.63%
  • The should be allowed to refuse if it violates their religious beliefs

    3 2.75%
  • They should be fined for discriminating against gays

    16 14.68%
  • They should lose their B&B license for discriminating against gays

    19 17.43%
  • Other, please explain

    6 5.50%
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 403

Thread: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous grounds

  1. #371
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Has nothing to do with race.
    With you, I agree. However, there certainly are plenty of racists who want to discriminate on the basis of their bigotry and not from any desire for a smaller government.

    The problem is that your definition of "private property" is so broad that it would include a private bus company, a private airline, and every single business that is privately owned. The law, however, holds that once you open your property to the public at large it is no longer "private."

    As pointed out earlier, if you want to open a business that is available only to those you invite in (like a club) you can discriminate. If you want the benefits of being a member of the United States of America (such as obtaining business from American citizens) then you have to go by the rules of THAT club instead.

  2. #372
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    If it's done on the premise of race, religion, sexual orientation, ect .... no, you cannot.

    So with that in mind, you comment is consistantly incorrect a quite likely to land you in court.



    WRONG.

    They CANNOT make rules which disallow membership based on race, color, religion, or sexual orientation. That is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1963.

    You are mistaken.
    Yes, they can. There are a number of single sex health clubs that exist quite legally. As well they should.

    Oh the horror of discrimination.

  3. #373
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post

    They CANNOT make rules which disallow membership based on race, color, religion, or sexual orientation. That is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1963.

    You are mistaken.
    No, I think they can. A Catholic organization, for instance, can keep out atheists and Jews if they want; an Irish-American group can make, as its requirement, that you be Irish-American.

    If these groups open a business, however, then they can't put up signs saying "No Jews may enter."

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    04-13-10 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    240

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    WTF? Have you been reading this thread or not? We've dealt with the whole private-public-commercial property issue. Always best to read a thread before one-lining something that's been dealt with already.
    I didn't have time to read through the entire thread, sorry. I gave my opinion and responded to Vader when he challenged that opinion. I don't see a substantive philosophical difference between commercial private property and residential private property; both are the net result of a sovereign individual's labor and life; on what basis would you deny a sovereign individual his or her right to manage their private property, whether it be commercial or residential?

  5. #375
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    No, I think they can. A Catholic organization, for instance, can keep out atheists and Jews if they want; an Irish-American group can make, as its requirement, that you be Irish-American.

    If these groups open a business, however, then they can't put up signs saying "No Jews may enter."
    I'm pretty sure that is the same in the UK. That is why I suggested a couple of time they started a Christian only B & B or found another job.

    Of course Christian gays would still be able to prosecute if they wanted.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  6. #376
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    If it's done on the premise of race, religion, sexual orientation, ect .... no, you cannot.

    So with that in mind, you comment is consistantly incorrect a quite likely to land you in court.
    My comment is based on profitability. Your lack of reading comprehension has sent you into a bit of a tail spin.



    WRONG.

    They CANNOT make rules which disallow membership based on race, color, religion, or sexual orientation. That is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1963.

    You are mistaken.
    Who are these people? Freemasonry - Home How do they legally function?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    04-13-10 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    240

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    With you, I agree. However, there certainly are plenty of racists who want to discriminate on the basis of their bigotry and not from any desire for a smaller government.

    The problem is that your definition of "private property" is so broad that it would include a private bus company, a private airline, and every single business that is privately owned. The law, however, holds that once you open your property to the public at large it is no longer "private."

    As pointed out earlier, if you want to open a business that is available only to those you invite in (like a club) you can discriminate. If you want the benefits of being a member of the United States of America (such as obtaining business from American citizens) then you have to go by the rules of THAT club instead.
    I don't understand your argument here. It seems like nothing more than an appeal to authority (it's the law, the government says so, the majority says so).

    What is the philosophical or moral basis for denying a sovereign individual his or her right to manage something they undoubtedly own?

  8. #378
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    I'm wondering I own acre put it up for sale to the public should I be allowed to refuse sale to certain people like gay people?

  9. #379
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I'm wondering I own acre put it up for sale to the public should I be allowed to refuse sale to certain people like gay people?

    Yes, you can sell to whoever you want - but if you put up a placard saying 'No Gay's you'd probably be in trouble.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    04-13-10 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    240

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I'm wondering I own acre put it up for sale to the public should I be allowed to refuse sale to certain people like gay people?
    I don't see why not. You own the property. Just because I find your terms distasteful doesn't mean I should impose my morality on you.

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •