View Poll Results: Should B&B owners be allowed to refuse gay couples?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should be allowed to refuse anyone for any reason

    65 59.63%
  • The should be allowed to refuse if it violates their religious beliefs

    3 2.75%
  • They should be fined for discriminating against gays

    16 14.68%
  • They should lose their B&B license for discriminating against gays

    19 17.43%
  • Other, please explain

    6 5.50%
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 403

Thread: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous grounds

  1. #171
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Strawman? Hardly. I have provided plenty of reasons why private property rights should be upheld, you have not provided any solid logic to support your position. Logically people who don't pay for a business, rather confiscate every dime it can get from that business should not be dictating policy unless it is to protect against immediate danger.
    Businesses are not free to reap the benefits of operating in our society without complying with the laws that our society imposes. We as a society have a right to say that we do not support discrimination. If the business doesn't want to comply, they can move to a country where discrimination is permitted.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #172
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,073

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Strawman? Hardly.
    Entirely. Show me where I said any of these things:

    "because we can't accept........."
    "it's the right thing to do"
    Or were you quoting somebody else and projecting those quotes on to me? Thus making it a strawman?

    I have provided plenty of reasons why private property rights should be upheld, you have not provided any solid logic to support your position. Logically people who don't pay for a business, rather confiscate every dime it can get from that business should not be dictating policy unless it is to protect against immediate danger.
    Translation: LMR has nothing to else to provide to the thread so he complains about people being stupid in true Libertarian fashion.

    I laid out my argument. If somebody runs a business and this business is taxed by the government, the government endorses the policies of the business by legitimization through taxation. It is the reason illegal drugs are not taxed while legally sold drugs are.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Thank you for the link....
    So, sexual orientation trumps religious belief.....
    I think have a problem with that.....
    But the point is moot as the law now stands....

  4. #174
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I'm not talking about a specific law, I am speaking to why the law should not exist, of course, it's the UK so it is their business. "Bad things could happen" because of someone else's reaction is insufficient, the person throwing the brick is responsible for that action, not the business owner.......whether or not he deserved it.
    But if the business owner acted within the realm of the law, **** like that is far less likely to happen.

    Similarly: If the business owner did not act like a bigoted fool, **** like that is far less likely to happen.

    This reminds me of the sister of the girl i am dating. She went to the Parisian red light district with three of her GF's and some drunk guy punched her and another girl in the face. When she called her father complaining and crying, he yelled, "what the **** are you doing in the Paris red light @ 2:30 in the morning." She screamed back violently, "i am a grown woman and should be able to walk anywhere i want without worrying about getting punched in the face." Her father then replied, "of course you should be able to. But now you are on the phone crying to me because you made a stupid decision."

    It works both ways. Life is not always fair. The law in question most likely was also intended to prevent further outlash from such incidents. Not only to appease the good citizens who are homosexual, but to keep the extreme sides from killing each other and innocent people in the process.

    You at the very least have to admit: if they just let them stay there, or maybe even gave them ****ty service (in an attempt to disguise their bigotry), we would not even be arguing about this very subject at this very moment
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #175
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Translation: LMR has nothing to else to provide to the thread so he complains about people being stupid in true Libertarian fashion.
    Watch it slick

    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #176
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Businesses are not free to reap the benefits of operating in our society without complying with the laws that our society imposes.
    Key word imposes. But then again you are another appeal to government type, have always been on this forum so I'm not surprised ou aren't grasping the concept.
    We as a society have a right to say that we do not support discrimination. If the business doesn't want to comply, they can move to a country where discrimination is permitted.
    Actually, no, society does not have a right to mandate use of private property, though it does so anyway, then again......I'm not surprised. What is the necessary, the proper, and the compelling interest? Hint, they are three items necessary for constitutional addition of law.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #177
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Entirely. Show me where I said any of these things:





    Or were you quoting somebody else and projecting those quotes on to me? Thus making it a strawman?



    Translation: LMR has nothing to else to provide to the thread so he complains about people being stupid in true Libertarian fashion.

    I laid out my argument. If somebody runs a business and this business is taxed by the government, the government endorses the policies of the business by legitimization through taxation. It is the reason illegal drugs are not taxed while legally sold drugs are.
    Translation, Hatuey is backed into a corner and can't support his arguments.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #178
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    Thank you for the link....
    So, sexual orientation trumps religious belief.....
    I think have a problem with that.....
    But the point is moot as the law now stands....
    nope, the religious couple are allowed in a gay bar by law, so why can't the gay couple stay at a B&B?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  9. #179
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    nope, the religious couple are allowed in a gay bar by law, so why can't the gay couple stay at a B&B?
    I think using the law is the wrong way to go. Again, the market decides who wins and the market sides against bigotry. In both examples the law is wrong, the market would win anyway.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #180
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I think using the law is the wrong way to go. Again, the market decides who wins and the market sides against bigotry. In both examples the law is wrong, the market would win anyway.
    The question is when?

    Do you find it simple to ignore negative externalities?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •