View Poll Results: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - Not under any circumstances ever

    5 10.87%
  • No - Not under the circumstances given (please explain)

    4 8.70%
  • Yes - If the law required the rape to be reported immediately

    11 23.91%
  • Yes - As long as the rape is reported in a timely manner

    14 30.43%
  • Other

    12 26.09%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 182

Thread: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Cool Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying.

    What you said here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    That said,... do you not agree that the longer the woman waits to report the rape (talking weeks not minutes here),... the more she 'consents' to the conditions of her pregnancy?
    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Implies that you believe she would somehow be aware she was pregnant immediately following the rape.
    That's not what I'm saying at all.

    I am only trying to stress the importance of reporting a rape as soon as possible (as in many cases the pregnancy can be prevented). And I am also trying to remain to the legal precidents that say the longer someone waits to report a crime,.. the more they own the consequences.

    It's the same for if your home is burgularized and you wait a month to report it,... You may still get a police report,... but it wouldn't be the same as if you reported it immediately and gave the cops a chance to find the burgular still in the area.

  2. #52
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    That's not what I'm saying at all.

    I am only trying to stress the importance of reporting a rape as soon as possible (as in many cases the pregnancy can be prevented). And I am also trying to remain to the legal precidents that say the longer someone waits to report a crime,.. the more they own the consequences.

    It's the same for if your home is burgularized and you wait a month to report it,... You may still get a police report,... but it wouldn't be the same as if you reported it immediately and gave the cops a chance to find the burgular still in the area.
    Most women never report their rape, for very good reasons. In your little hypothetical, the only reason such a woman would even consider reporting their rape would be in the case of a pregnancy, which she is not going to be aware of for a month or more.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    fyi Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The child did not rape the woman and going through the pregnancy is not going to end the mother's life.
    I agree.

    The child is not (sexually) raping the woman in this example. But it is using her body against her will,... placing her life, health and well being in danger,... and it's doing so as a result of no fault of either the woman's nor the child's actions.

    That's not the case in an act of consentual sex that results in a pregnancy.

    As far as the expectation that the pregnancy is not going to "end the mother's life?"

    Her right to defend herself is not predicated on the fact or certainty of death. She has a right to protect herself from being "seized" by another in any way,.... UNLESS she consented.

    Once she consents,.. she waves her rights to expel them (within reason) and unless they violate her rights in another way,... She has to live with the consequence of the choice she made.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Unhappy Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Most women never report their rape, for very good reasons. In your little hypothetical, the only reason such a woman would even consider reporting their rape would be in the case of a pregnancy, which she is not going to be aware of for a month or more.
    Logistics like these need to be worked through with education, support systems, encouragments, higher penalties for attackers, etc.

    However,.. a need to address these situations does not change the basis or principles for the position.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So none of that stuff is a problem if she enjoyed the sex?
    Are you being serious?

    Do you really equate "consent" with "enjoyment?"

  6. #56
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Logistics like these need to be worked through with education, support systems, encouragments, higher penalties for attackers, etc.
    None of those things would address the reasons why we don't report rapes.

    However,.. a need to address these situations does not change the basis or principles for the position.
    Actually, it does. Since you're saying that they're somehow consenting to a pregnancy they're unaware of just by way of not subjecting themselves to further humiliation by reporting their rape.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Arrow Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    None of those things would address the reasons why we don't report rapes.
    I know there are many reasons, Rivrrat. I have more than one family member who has been raped. One of them brutally.

    Whatever your reasons are,... they are secondary to the issue I'm asking about in this poll.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Post Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    However,.. a need to address these situations does not change the basis or principles for the position.
    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Actually, it does. Since you're saying that they're somehow consenting to a pregnancy they're unaware of just by way of not subjecting themselves to further humiliation by reporting their rape.
    OK,.. I see what you are getting at,... and I didn't mean to imply this at all.

    To your point,.. if a woman is raped and for whatever reason does not want to report it. I wish she would report it,... but that's her right not to.

    We ok so far?

    Going forward,... when she DOES realize she's pregnant,... and especially if she doesn't think she can carry her attackers child to term,... she needs to report it sooner rather than later.

    Does that help clarify?

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    OK,.. I see what you are getting at,... and I didn't mean to imply this at all.

    To your point,.. if a woman is raped and for whatever reason does not want to report it. I wish she would report it,... but that's her right not to.

    We ok so far?

    Going forward,... when she DOES realize she's pregnant,... and especially if she doesn't think she can carry her attackers child to term,... she needs to report it sooner rather than later.

    Does that help clarify?
    Chuz, I do not think you are completely grasping the complexity of the psychological aspects of rape. Even IF the woman realizes she is pregnant and wants to abort, this has nothing to do with the trauma of reporting the rape. Your phrase, "needs to report it, sooner rather than later" is not dependent on YOUR opinion, but on her psychological state. She "needs" to report it if and when she is ready to report it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    fyi Re: Would you support a 'rape exception' to a government ban on elective abortions?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Chuz, I do not think you are completely grasping the complexity of the psychological aspects of rape. Even IF the woman realizes she is pregnant and wants to abort, this has nothing to do with the trauma of reporting the rape. Your phrase, "needs to report it, sooner rather than later" is not dependent on YOUR opinion, but on her psychological state. She "needs" to report it if and when she is ready to report it.
    This is what I am talking about;

    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_consent"]Implied Consent;[/ame] "Implied consent is a form of consent which is not expressly granted by a person, but rather inferred from a person's actions and the facts and circumstances of a particular situation (or in some cases, by a person's silence or inaction). "

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •