View Poll Results: Who'll Be Watching the House Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 55.56%
  • No

    16 44.44%
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 253

Thread: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

  1. #41
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    National security is different from healthcare and economic policy. The majority of Americans supported the war on terror, we can't just pull out because many decided to pull their support for it. Regardless, if you are saying it was wrong for Bush not to pull out because the majority no longer supported it is it also wrong for Obama to push this when the majority doesn't want it?
    We are getting off topic, but I mentioned the war in Iraq, which had exactly jack and **** to do with national security. My point was that it was not wrong for Bush to ignore those protesters, nor is it wrong for Obama to ignore these. It's reaching for something to bitch about to call Obama arrogant for ignoring them while they carry out the business of the day.

    I agree that the economy will be a big issue, but healthcare will be an important one too. If the Republicans run on the fact that the Democrats and the Obama administration have pushed the debt through the roof and how they ignored the people and passed this healthcare legislation, I think they Republicans have a strong chance of winning many seats. Things do change quickly in politics, but when people will remember what is going on now and they will certainly remember when their insurance premiums go up or have to buy a more expensive policy because the government told them to. Obama won because people remembered Bush's bad decisions and listened to Obama's hollow rhetoric. People will also remember Obama's debt rising policies and this bill that is trying to be passed against the will of the American people.
    Democrats have been in a bad situation with this. Pass it and piss of the right, or not pass it and piss off their base.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #42
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Well, the legal argument right now is that they say it is unconstitutional for the government to force people to buy health insurance and to fine people for not having it. The states also are going to file law suits because it forces them to add more to their budgets in a time where no one can afford to do so. I think there is a strong case for the legal battle, so long as their isn't court corruption. It is unconstitutional to force everyone to buy a private service or fine them for not buying it. I can't wait for November, although I would imagine some of these Dems know they are done and have been promised sweet deals by Obama.
    I disagree about the strength of the state challenges, precisely because it's not structured as a fine but rather a tax.

    Balkinization
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Watching them spend a minute arguing about whether some one had used 5 seconds of their time was surreal.

    Since it looks like this is going to pass, where is theprof to declare health care reform dead again?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We are getting off topic, but I mentioned the war in Iraq, which had exactly jack and **** to do with national security. My point was that it was not wrong for Bush to ignore those protesters, nor is it wrong for Obama to ignore these. It's reaching for something to bitch about to call Obama arrogant for ignoring them while they carry out the business of the day.



    Democrats have been in a bad situation with this. Pass it and piss of the right, or not pass it and piss off their base.
    They have already pissed off their base by removing the public option. The hard left don't support this and they see it as craving into the special interests of insurance companies.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I disagree about the strength of the state challenges, precisely because it's not structured as a fine but rather a tax.

    Balkinization
    I agree that the states don't have as strong as an argument, but the fact that it isn't constitutional to force people to buy a private service has a very strong argument behind it. Although it depends on if the courts recognize this or not.

  5. #45
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    I have been watching it all afternoon. Better than watching the Houston Astros, who really, really suck this year. LOL.

    Almost time for the vote.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #46
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It is unconstitutional to force everyone to buy a private service or fine them for not buying it.
    Now I am not a legal scholar here, but how is it that mandated auto insurance would not have been shot down by the same lack of constitutionality then?
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have been watching it all afternoon. Better than watching the Houston Astros, who really, really suck this year. LOL.

    Almost time for the vote.
    I agree it is like watching baseball...

  8. #48
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Jerrold Nadler NY: “This health insurance package, despite real inadequacies, solves real problems. A yes vote will save 45,000 lives per year. Bankruptcies will be athing of the past, capping out of pocket expenses, nobody will go broke because they get sick.”
    Liveblog ? House Floor Debate On Health Care Bill (Two) | FDL Action

    What the **** is he talking about? Is there some bizarro bill that I've never heard of that would eliminate medical bankruptcies?

    Such a douchebag.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #49
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Now I am not a legal scholar here, but how is it that mandated auto insurance would not have been shot down by the same lack of constitutionality then?
    Auto insurance mandates come from the states.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who'll Be Watching the Health Care Reform Debate on Sunday?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    They have already pissed off their base by removing the public option. The hard left don't support this and they see it as craving into the special interests of insurance companies.
    Nah, most of us realize the need for reform, the futility of expecting republicans to do anything about it, and the reality that a perfect bill will not happen. I got real problems with this bill, but at this point, after 30 years of trying for real health care reform going back to Nixon, I think at least something is being done, and maybe we can improve it in the years to come.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •