View Poll Results: with the DADT policy, one can claim gayness to get out of it

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • i agree

    9 64.29%
  • i disagree, tell why if you want to

    5 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

  1. #1
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    09-13-15 @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    265

    a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    been reading threads about this don't ask don't tell policy and thought I'd post a poll
    Last edited by Aurora151989; 03-17-10 at 05:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    If it became haute couture to claim fruity, the Armed Forces would pick up on it and eventually investigate. You should interview for a civilian job on a military site someday. They don't just look at your resume. They go through your life and past with a fine-toothed comb. If you threw up on stage while playing the Scarecrow in your sixth grade recital of The Wizard of Oz, they know about it. One or two phone calls to a relative or friend will quickly dispel the myth that you're unable to serve because you enjoy the taste of pillow.

    Don't mess with Uncle Sam, especially the part of him that carries a rifle.

  3. #3
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If it became haute couture to claim fruity, the Armed Forces would pick up on it and eventually investigate. You should interview for a civilian job on a military site someday. They don't just look at your resume. They go through your life and past with a fine-toothed comb. If you threw up on stage while playing the Scarecrow in your sixth grade recital of The Wizard of Oz, they know about it. One or two phone calls to a relative or friend will quickly dispel the myth that you're unable to serve because you enjoy the taste of pillow.

    Don't mess with Uncle Sam, especially the part of him that carries a rifle.
    This would require completely rewriting the DADT policy. I did not know this until a few days ago, but even when a soldier is outed by some one else, and denies the accuracy, the military by it's regulations cannot investigate whether the soldier is gay, only if the outing report is accurate. I can go into some more detail if you are interested, but it is the truth. The military cannot, under any circumstances, investigate a soldiers sexual orientation. The military can ask "did you say you where gay?", but not "are you gay?", even while investigating the person for discharge under DADT.

    Also, it is fairly common now for those wanting a quick easy discharge to tell some one in their command "I am gay". Instant, easy honorable discharge with no penalties.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #4
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    09-13-15 @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    265

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    hmmm quite interesting, from both posts

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Well, if that's so, I don't see any problem with them rewriting the law that allows them to delve a little further, especially if it's to uncover the truth. DADT is a semi-hot button issue right now, so it could easily cross a Congressional desk and not even raise an ire.

    This is also on my assumption that the "fake self-outing" is pretty rare, and that in the OPs scenario it becomes quite common.

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well, if that's so, I don't see any problem with them rewriting the law that allows them to delve a little further, especially if it's to uncover the truth. DADT is a semi-hot button issue right now, so it could easily cross a Congressional desk and not even raise an ire.

    This is also on my assumption that the "fake self-outing" is pretty rare, and that in the OPs scenario it becomes quite common.
    The DADT issue is going the other way right now though, towards allowing gays to serve openly, not towards looking for gay people.

    It is fairly common in the military right now. We have a poster here on these boards who used it to get out.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    People in general(their initial emotion) find homosexuality to be disgusting and repulsive - the very idea - ugh. And today, this is so damned overplayed.
    Lets just keep DADT and force everyone to heed this...


    Then they relax, look around and see that things are not so bad as imagined, that these people are 99.999% identical to us..Children in particular handle this well.
    Ignorance and fear do not.

    And, in a way, other than being where we should not be, and other than having obsolete laws on the books, we are at peace (at least some of us are).

    There will never be peace for those who do not want it.

    So, no need for a draft.
    Also, why is it that only men must register for "selective services - something like that"..
    But not women???
    Strange, with all this equal-rights..

  8. #8
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,492

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    I think it would not be to bad. I think allot of young people with nothing to do would get something out of it.

    Serve your country, at gun point if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    The military has effectively labeled homosexuality a disability which makes people unfit to serve. If it pushed for a draft tomorrow and people claimed homosexuality to get off the hook, the military would only have itself to blame.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I think it would not be to bad. I think allot of young people with nothing to do would get something out of it.

    Serve your country, at gun point if necessary.
    To an extent I kinda agree with this. I have long supported the concept of a mandatory national service for 2 years at age 18. The military would only be one option for such service, but I do think it would do a lot of good for our young people. The downside is that such a proposal is right now unfeasible, but I do like the concept.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •