View Poll Results: with the DADT policy, one can claim gayness to get out of it

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • i agree

    9 64.29%
  • i disagree, tell why if you want to

    5 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

  1. #21
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Sounds like fascism to me.
    "Main Entry: fas·cism

    Pronunciation: \ˈfa-ˌshi-zəm also ˈfa-ˌsi-\

    Function: noun
    Etymology: Italian fascismo, from fascio bundle, fasces, group, from Latin fascis bundle & fasces fasces

    Date: 1921
    1 often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

    2 : a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control
    " - Fascism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    Not even close.

    Then you need to listen to the correct sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #22
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    09-13-15 @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    265

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    ??? at blackdog

    now i'm just confused

  3. #23
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora151989 View Post
    ??? at blackdog

    now i'm just confused
    A draft in itself is not fascism, although it could be one aspect of a fascist movement or government. It would be like saying "selling potato's is democracy!"

    People throw around words like this to add weight or imply someone or something is so wrong it is like being a Nazi or fascist. It is to the point of stupid.

    So I am pointing it out.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-18-10 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #24
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    09-13-15 @ 09:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    265

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    ahhh ok thanks blackdog

    i thought maybe pal was referring to the "at gunpoint" part when he said fascism.

    "I think it would not be to bad. I think allot of young people with nothing to do would get something out of it.

    Serve your country, at gun point if necessary."

  5. #25
    Student Pal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    06-28-10 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    211

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    A draft in itself is not fascism, although it could be one aspect of a fascist movement or government. It would be like saying "selling potato's is democracy!"

    People throw around words like this to add weight or imply someone or something is so wrong it likes being a Nazi or fascist. It is to the point of stupid.

    So I am pointing it out.
    It was the second part of your post that brought me to my conclusion. I don't think the US government should be in the business of pointing guns at citizens as a method of persuading them to do something. I wouldn't call a draft fascist per se, but I would call what you said fascist for sure.

  6. #26
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    It was the second part of your post that brought me to my conclusion. I don't think the US government should be in the business of pointing guns at citizens as a method of persuading them to do something. I wouldn't call a draft fascist per se, but I would call what you said fascist for sure.
    A draft is serving at gun point so to speak. If you are called up and you don't go, real consequences exist including prison in some cases.

    Again this is not fascist, or even a fascist ideal. Israel does it, the US has done it, and many other non-fascist country's.

    All you have to do is say serving because of a draft is wrong. Nothing more, we get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #27
    Student Pal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    06-28-10 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    211

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    A draft is serving at gun point so to speak. If you are called up and you don't go, real consequences exist including prison in some cases.

    Again this is not fascist, or even a fascist ideal. Israel does it, the US has done it, and many other non-fascist country's.

    All you have to do is say serving because of a draft is wrong. Nothing more, we get the idea.
    I thought it was clear I find the draft in general distasteful, sorry if it wasn't. I do. But I wouldn't call the drafts that the US government has instituted in the past fascist. The government was never about to shoot someone who refused to comply.

    If it got to the point where we had soldiers pointing guns at young people who didn't want to serve these mandatory years (in peacetime, no less) then I would consider that fascist. How is that not exalting the nation over the individual? How could you not classify a government that did that as "centralized" and "autocratic"? (Borrowing a few words from your definition)
    Last edited by Pal; 03-18-10 at 01:01 AM.

  8. #28
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    I thought it was clear I find the draft in general distasteful, sorry if it wasn't. I do. But I wouldn't call the drafts that the US government has instituted in the past fascist. The government was never about to shoot someone who refused to comply.
    I was speaking figuratively. The gun represents repercussions of not submitting to the draft.

    "In the United States during World War I, conscientious objectors were permitted to serve in noncombatant military roles. About 2000 absolute conscientious objectors refused to cooperate in any way with the military. These men were imprisoned in military facilities such as Fort Lewis (Washington), Alcatraz Island (California) and Fort Leavenworth (Kansas). Some were subjected to treatment such as short rations, solitary confinement and physical abuse severe enough as to cause the deaths of two Hutterite draftees." - [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscientious_objector]Conscientious objector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]


    "We were cursed, beaten, kicked, and compelled to go through exercises to the extent that a few were unconscious for some minutes. They kept it up for the greater part of the afternoon, and then those who could possibly stand on their feet were compelled to take cold shower baths. One of the boys was scrubbed with a scrubbing brush using lye on him. They drew blood in several places.” - Mennonite from Camp Lee, Virginia, United States, 16 July 1918

    "During the Vietnam War, an active movement of draft resistance also occurred... These draft resisters hoped that their public civil disobedience would help to bring the war and the draft to an end. Many young men went to federal prison as part of this movement."

    We are no angles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    If it got to the point where we had soldiers pointing guns at young people who didn't want to serve these mandatory years (in peacetime, no less) then I would consider that fascist. How is that not exalting the nation over the individual? How could you not classify a government that did that as "centralized" and "autocratic"? (Borrowing a few words from your definition)
    I was speaking figuratively. You honestly thought I meant shooting people in the head? I suppose anytime someone says "paying taxes at gun point" you immediately think this is what they mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #29
    Student Pal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    06-28-10 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    211

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I was speaking figuratively. You honestly thought I meant shooting people in the head? I suppose anytime someone says "paying taxes at gun point" you immediately think this is what they mean?
    If you truly were speaking figuratively then I apologize for misinterpreting you. If that's the case, then I only disagree with what you originally said on principle, but would not call it fascist as you're right our government has done that before.

    However, if I was so obviously misconstrueing what you meant you could've pointed it out a little sooner...

  10. #30
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: a draft wouldn't work too well these days because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    If you truly were speaking figuratively then I apologize for misinterpreting you. If that's the case, then I only disagree with what you originally said on principle, but would not call it fascist as you're right our government has done that before.

    However, if I was so obviously misconstrueing what you meant you could've pointed it out a little sooner...
    I did in post #26: "A draft is serving at gun point so to speak. If you are called up and you don't go, real consequences exist including prison in some cases." - Blackdog

    No biggie, and good night.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-18-10 at 01:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •