View Poll Results: Which would you support its use for

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • To ban gay marriage

    3 10.71%
  • To change domestic drilling and refining rules, including ANWR

    4 14.29%
  • To create a fence across the southern border and start a massive deportation effort

    3 10.71%
  • To remove Welfare

    6 21.43%
  • To remove this Health Care Reform if it passes

    10 35.71%
  • To create a school voucher system

    4 14.29%
  • None of the Above

    19 67.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I know and its unfortunate. It is because of the lack of compromise on both sides that I have come to this conclusion. Trust me, I would prefer it if liberals could work with conservatives and vice versa, but that is no longer the case. The country is in a lot of hot water right now and something must be done to solve it. Twiddling our thumbs because we cannot agree is worse than a policy that some will not agree with.

    You are right it is bad for the long term, but if we don't solve our problems soon, that might be irrelevant. I hate it, but it seems to be a necessary evil.
    It might be unrealistic but if we are going to be governed this way, I would hope that the majority took the concerns of the minority into consideration. Perhaps if one party looked reasonable the other party would have to recipricate.

    If Obama was able to really get Washington to work together, I thought the Democrats would be in power for a generation. Maybe that is why the republicans are acting the way they are. There should have been a way to either shame them into working on solutions, or having the public be angry with them. For whatever reason Obama was not able to be as convincing as he was as a candidate.

  2. #32
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    It might be unrealistic but if we are going to be governed this way, I would hope that the majority took the concerns of the minority into consideration. Perhaps if one party looked reasonable the other party would have to recipricate.

    If Obama was able to really get Washington to work together, I thought the Democrats would be in power for a generation. Maybe that is why the republicans are acting the way they are. There should have been a way to either shame them into working on solutions, or having the public be angry with them. For whatever reason Obama was not able to be as convincing as he was as a candidate.
    The two parties can't cooperate because they are competing for seats in Congress, which comes with perks, money, and stature; power in general. There is only a limited market share and the Democrats and Republicans aren't about to split it up evenly. Ideology is important, especially to certain individual politicians, but as a collective each party focuses on marketing and advertising. If ideology is upheld, it is often because it is forced to coincide with electoral strategies.

    The premise for each party's existence resides in being the moral and practical superior of the other one. Practical superiority is bad enough (basically the relationship between employees and the boss), but a holier-than-thou attitude does not make for an effective working relationship.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 03-16-10 at 07:23 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The two parties can't cooperate because they are competing for seats in Congress, which comes with perks, money, and stature; power in general. There is only a limited market share and the Democrats and Republicans aren't about to split it up evenly. Ideology is important, especially to certain individual politicians, but as a collective each party focuses on marketing and advertising. If ideology is upheld, it is often because it is forced to coincide with electoral strategies.

    The premise for each party's existence resides in being the moral and practical superior of the other one. Practical superiority is bad enough (basically the relationship between employees and the boss), but a holier-than-thou attitude does not make for an effective working relationship.
    Sounds like religions!

  4. #34
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Sounds like religions!
    I was thinking more like businesses: Democrats and Republicans working together to provide good governance to the American people is something like the Big Three (plus Toyota) working together to provide affordable, safe vehicles to the American people, or Wall-Street firms working together to make a secure credit industry. Sometimes it almost seems to happen, but most of the time they are too busy casting themselves as the only road to success to realize unsafe practices across the board are leading the whole industry to ruin. You can't shame political parties into cooperating because the inflated sense of legitimacy they have created for themselves deadens their consciences.

    People seem to treat their political affiliation like a religious commitment though.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 03-16-10 at 07:37 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    I was thinking more like businesses: Democrats and Republicans working together to provide good governance to the American people is something like the Big Three (plus Toyota) working together to provide affordable, safe vehicles to the American people, or Wall-Street firms working together to make a secure credit industry. Sometimes it almost seems to happen, but most of the time they are too busy casting themselves as the only road to success to realize unsafe practices across the board are leading the whole industry to ruin. You can't shame political parties into cooperating because the inflated sense of legitimacy they have created for themselves deadens their consciences.

    People seem to treat their political affiliation like a religious commitment though.
    I see the similarity. However people like to think that when someone chooses politics or the clergy as a profession it is for the greater good. Most people think that business people, want to turn out good products as it is good business. But people know corporation X builds a better widget so they can be more sucessful.

  6. #36
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I see the similarity. However people like to think that when someone chooses politics or the clergy as a profession it is for the greater good. Most people think that business people, want to turn out good products as it is good business. But people know corporation X builds a better widget so they can be more sucessful.
    The voters tend to think that their chosen party is for the greater good. It is the party insiders that are more cynical.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The voters tend to think that their chosen party is for the greater good. It is the party insiders that are more cynical.
    Then things can only be fixed when the yolk of the party leaderships are tossed aside.

  8. #38
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Then things can only be fixed when the yolk of the party leaderships are tossed aside.
    The conservatives seem to have come to that conclusion. I think the Democrats are going to need their own Bush before that happens on their side.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The conservatives seem to have come to that conclusion. I think the Democrats are going to need their own Bush before that happens on their side.
    Interesting point. I thought Bush would destroy the republican brand for a generation. It looks like they figured that out and are repackageing themselves through the tea party.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Would you be fine with reconciliation used for...

    Interesting point. I thought Bush would destroy the republican brand for a generation. It looks like they figured that out and are repackageing themselves through the tea party.
    Hatred for liberalism is sufficient to make conservatives unite under anything. They don't need another reason.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 03-16-10 at 08:01 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •