View Poll Results: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation of Arms?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 59.46%
  • No

    15 20.27%
  • Other

    15 20.27%
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 259

Thread: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

  1. #41
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think those tactics are common in any political fight. It's sad, but there it is. Further, I disagree that the other amendments in the bill of rights are not under some attack at the very least.

    I also think where you vehement second amendment people go wrong is that stats are irrelevant. The second amendment is there, end argument.
    If only anti-2nd amendment states like New York, California, Illinious and other liberal states saw it that way.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #42
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Would I resist violently? No, I wouldn't.

    Would I resist passively? Yes, absolutely.

    There's a lot of factors at play here. For example, how did the federal ban come about? Was it through our lawmakers? Or was it through popular initiative? Are they banning all firearms? Or only particular types? Those are very important questions to ask in such a scenario, as I favor bans on assault rifles.

    However it goes, I would not act violently against whoever does the actual confiscating of weapons. Most likely, it will be some kind of law enforcement group. Those law officers would just be doing their jobs. Why would I act out violently at those who are just doing their jobs according to the law when it is the lawmakers who are responsible?

    Instead, I'd try to hide my weapons, if I felt I really needed them. I don't go hunting and I don't shoot guns, but I do have them available to me. I live in a rural area, and I'd rather keep them available to me, just in case. I would try to keep them hidden and hope that law enforcement doesn't find them. If they do, however, I wouldn't shoot at them. I would just let them take the weapons and try to find some more to replace them.
    LEO's who comply with such a law or confiscation order are just as culpable as the people who made said law or confiscation order.

    If it were in a court of law, they would be called accomplices.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #43
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Here's the issue with comparing the First Amendment with the Second Amendment.

    Many gun rights advocates claim that the Second Amendment is an absolute right to gun ownership. That is that gun ownership cannot be regulated or prevented in any way. Many claim such activists claim that Americans should be able to own any kind of firearm they want, including military firearms.

    However, many 2A activists are conservatives, and conservatives, especially the Religious Right, like to restrict Free Speech guaranteed by the Constitution. They do this mostly through obscenity laws.

    So if gun rights are an absolute right, then free speech should be an absolute right. If assault rifles can be purchased without regulation, then so can pornography.

    That's the slippery slope gun rights' activists get into.

    However, if we can have local obscenity laws prohibiting certain kinds of speech, then we can have local gun laws that prohibit certain kinds of firearms. One instance of this is the Chicago and D.C. handgun bans. (I'm not getting into an argument over whether or not a handgun ban in those cities are effective, as that's not the point; I'm arguing over whether or not local governments have the power to prohibit certain kinds of firearms).

    So, to put the issue another way, my question is if those who believe that firearm ownership is an absolute right that extends to military weapons and assault rifles also resist things such as the FCC charging punitive fees against radio and television stations that air the Seven Dirty Words where children can hear just as ardently?
    I view the entire Bill of Rights as non negotiable and absolute.

    The current restrictions on speech are unacceptable to me.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #44
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    You should probably change your 'lean' to 'Liberal'.....
    More like barking loon bat



  5. #45
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Here's an interesting twist for those of you who said yes. Let's say hypothetically that the constitution was amended to remove the second amendment and take away people's right to bear arms. Would you still violently resist then?
    Bearing arms is the closest thing to a human right I believe in. I am opposed to the disarmament of people regardless of whether or not they are covered by so-called "Constitutional rights".

  6. #46
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think those tactics are common in any political fight. It's sad, but there it is. Further, I disagree that the other amendments in the bill of rights are not under some attack at the very least.
    I agree fully with that

    I also think where you vehement second amendment people go wrong is that stats are irrelevant. The second amendment is there, end argument.
    It's a "one battle at a time" situation, when dealing with any political situation you have to adress things as they come, with statistical and data abuse one must bring into question the relevance of such because of the nature of the beast. I agree with the fact that the amendment, and further the right is there so the argument should end at that, most people I feel agree with exactly that, the problem comes in when politicians and gun control activists ignore that.

    * Edit- as well, I understand that all rights are under attack, this does not sit well with me personally, but if the second falls, there is no way to protect any other right fully. Of course, that is my opinion.
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 03-14-10 at 07:41 PM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Also consider though, it takes 2/3 of both houses of congress to even suggest an amendment to the constitution, and 3/4 of the state legislatures to actually ratify it. If the constitution were amended to remove the 2nd amendment, it would mean that popular support was incredibly high for doing so. Would you still consider it right to resist something that so much of the country wanted to happen?
    Yes, just as I would resist the removal of freedom of religion, no matter how large a majority was allegedly in favor of same.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #48
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    So, to put the issue another way, my question is if those who believe that firearm ownership is an absolute right that extends to military weapons and assault rifles also resist things such as the FCC charging punitive fees against radio and television stations that air the Seven Dirty Words where children can hear just as ardently?
    There should be no FCC. The biggest scam the government ever pulled off was nationalizing the airwaves.

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?Stop the baiting and personal attacks, people.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #50
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Would You Resist Federal Confiscation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    If the Federal government started confiscating weapons en masse, would you violently resist them?

    I say absolutely. I would rather die than let that happen.
    I would do my best to circumvent the law and hide my gun, but if it came down to me handing over my gun(s) or be prosecuted, I would certainly have to realistically consider the use of lethal force against those who come to confiscate them. I would have to weigh whether and how it would affect my immediate family.

    If the Second Amendment were repealed, I would simply ignore it and continue doing what I do. The Constitution is practically all dead letter anyway, so what's the difference?

    Incidentally, once the guns are removed from the citizens of a country it is typically the minorities who are first in line for whatever nefarious plans the government has. Something for you folks to think about ...

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •