View Poll Results: Is it possible?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    85 70.83%
  • No

    30 25.00%
  • Other

    5 4.17%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 191

Thread: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

  1. #11
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    It all depends on how compliant the military and law enforcement would be with taking down their fellow citizens. I'm sure the government has already figured out what it would do in such an event.
    Absolutely true.

    I agree that insurgency would cause problems but I highly doubt that the majority of Americans have that kind of revolutionary spirit. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but your population is fat, lazy, and unhealthy. Most people would just sit back and be afraid.
    As things stand right now I would say your point is a strong one. I will add a caviotte though, while people are fat, lazy, and compliant it is because things aren't bad enough to warrant effort by most people's standards, if things got to a tipping point, you would see those things change in a hurry.

    The skills involved for watching your government and deciding when is the right time to act is something that needs to be cultivated. I don't think most people do that. How many people even go out and protest? I say that protestors are the minority, which is why very little ever changes.
    I somewhat agree, while those skills are important, I think eventually human nature would kick in and eventually enough people would engage if a government became abusive enough, I concede that it's speculation and I don't know where that tipping point would be.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    yeah, one thing about Delta Force is that they don't mess around.
    Neither do 30 million armed insurgents. I'm not sure what you think an SF group of less than a 1,000 dudes is going to do against that.

    Unlike the American public who says lots of things but don't do anything to back it up. There wouldn't even be a revolution, and yeah ten percent of the population wouldn't be a hard thing to defeat for the military and Delta Force would wipe out the leaders of the rebellion really fast.
    Of course, which is why our military is having such a difficult time defeating a smaller and lesser trained insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan...

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    This is going basely on memory of mine, but back when Iraq was experiencing like over 100 bombs going off per month, the US military implemented something top-secret and the month after there were fewer than 10bombs going off in the whole of Iraq. The US military holds top secret weapons that are good enough to deal with any guerrilla warfare, like there is this radar that the military can use and it can spot targets on the group regardless if they are using the trees for cover, the radar can still see you. So that would help make guerilla warefare hard. And then again, Delta Force is a really good unit.
    You sound like you read this stuff off the back of a cereal box. Get a clue, junior...
    Last edited by Ethereal; 03-13-10 at 08:02 PM.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Neither do 30 million armed insurgents. I'm not sure what you think an SF group of less than a 1,000 dudes is going to do against that.
    It's not like the 30 million are all going to be in one giant army. They would be divided among different factions. So it would be easier than you believe.


    Of course, which is why our military is having such a difficult time defeating a smaller and lesser trained insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan...
    Our military isn't having a difficult time in either of those places. I don't know why people believe we are when Iraq has been defeated and become a boring place for our soldiers and in Afghanistan the vast majority of fighters come from Pakistan and we are already tightening the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. So really we are not having a difficult time

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Cool Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    One of the justifications for a broad interpretation of the second amendment is that it allows citizens the option of overthrowing the government if things get too bad.

    In short, since our military has a tanks, missiles, etc, is it even possible?
    The answer is yes,... it's 'possible.'

    The question is what we would have left to put in its place?

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    You sound like you read this stuff off the back of a cereal box. Get a clue, junior...
    Um, really? If I am a junior then you are a freshmen.

  7. #17
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    It's not like the 30 million are all going to be in one giant army. They would be divided among different factions. So it would be easier than you believe.
    You're kidding right? Ever hear of the term "sleeper cell". The military could obliterate a large standing presence, that is what they are equipped for, however, a large number of people well trained and attacking multiple targets, with full mobility and relative anonymity would be a nightmare scenario.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Its old technology so by now our military must have something better:
    Stealth Radar System Sees Through Trees And Walls Undetected
    Defense Technology News — By Editor on June 27, 2006 at 3:44 am
    (No Ratings Yet)
    Loading ...

    OSU.edu,

    Columbus OH: Ohio State engineers have invented a radar system that is virtually undetectable because its signal resembles random noise. The radar could have applications in law enforcement, the military and disaster rescue.

    Eric Walton, senior research scientist in Ohio State's ElectroScience Laboratory, said that with further development the technology could even be used for medical imaging. He explained why using random noise makes the radar system invisible.

    "Almost all radio receivers in the world are designed to eliminate random noise so that they can clearly receive the signal they're looking for," Walton said. "Radio receivers could search for this radar signal and they wouldn't find it. It also won't interfere with TV, radio or other communication signals."

    The radar scatters a very low-intensity signal across a wide range of frequencies, so a TV or radio tuned to any one frequency would interpret the radar signal as a very weak form of static.

    "It doesn't interfere because it has a bandwidth that is thousands of times broader than the signals it might otherwise interfere with," Walton said.

    Like traditional radar, the "noise" radar detects objects by bouncing a radio signal off them and detecting the rebound. The hardware isn't expensive, either; altogether, the components cost less than $100.

    The difference is that the noise radar generates a signal that resembles random noise, and a computer calculates very small differences in the return signal. The calculations happen billions of times every second and the pattern of the signal changes constantly. A receiver couldn't detect the signal unless it knew exactly what random pattern was being used.

    The radar can be tuned to penetrate solid walls - just like the waves that transmit radio and TV signals - so the military could spot enemy soldiers inside a building without the radar signal being detected, Walton said. Traffic police could measure vehicle speed without setting off drivers' radar detectors. Autonomous vehicles could tell whether a bush conceals a more dangerous obstacle, like a tree stump or a gulley.

    The radar is inherently able to distinguish between many types of targets because of its ultra-wide-band characteristics. "Unfortunately, there are thousands of everyday objects that look like humans on radar - even chairs and filing cabinets," he said. So the shape of a radar image alone can't be used to identify a human. "What tends to give a human away is that he moves. He breathes, his heart beats, his body makes unintended motions."

    These tiny motions could be used to locate disaster survivors who were pinned under rubble. Other radar systems can't do that because they are too far-sighted - they can't see people who are buried only a few yards away. Walton said that the noise radar is inherently able to see objects that are nearby.

    "It can see things that are only a couple of inches away with as much clarity as it can see things on the surface of Mars," he added.

    That means that with further development, the radar might image tumors, blood clots and foreign objects in the body. It could even measure bone density. As with all forms of medical imaging, studies would first have to determine the radar's effect on the body. The university is expected to license the patented radar system.
    http://www.defencetalk.com/stealth-r...detected-6951/
    Last edited by Gray_Fox_86; 03-13-10 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    You're kidding right? Ever hear of the term "sleeper cell". The military could obliterate a large standing presence, that is what they are equipped for, however, a large number of people well trained and attacking multiple targets, with full mobility and relative anonymity would be a nightmare scenario.
    But as we have been seeing with the insurgency in Iraq/Afghanistan these people are not so well trained. And I have my serious doubts an insurgency here would be any better in training.

  10. #20
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is it possible to overthrow the US government

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    But as we have been seeing with the insurgency in Iraq/Afghanistan these people are not so well trained. And I have my serious doubts an insurgency here would be any better in training.
    Right, but this isn't Afghanistan or Iraq we are talking about. Many of our citizens are retired military still in young and relatively fit shape, others are well versed in martial tactics, as well, if things came to a revolt you'd have a desertion ratio among LEO's and Military if those sectors sided with the government, all would be qualified to train militants within a desired timeframe.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •