View Poll Results: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 26.58%
  • No

    54 68.35%
  • Other

    4 5.06%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 144

Thread: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No, it's not always bad. I can think of many reasons it wouldn't be bad, such as:

    Abortion
    Euthanasia
    Self-defense
    Putting to death someone who committed atrocities
    Those are (for the most part) justified killing by legal means. The act of killing another human is still bad. Even if you have to defend yourself, and maybe you do, it's still a bad act to take the life of another.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #62
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Abortion is killing, you've taken human life. This is the exact same thing some on the other side try to do with war. Try to make believe that what you're doing isn't killing another human so you don't have to feel bad about it. But it is killing and you should feel bad about it.
    abortion is what it is aborting a fetus. it is no more than an unwanted cancer that is life as well. try to delude yourself into thinking that, that fetus is a life. maybe you can take one to the theater and fed it popcorn. you can't it has no person-hood. people would rather save the fetus and kill them i a war. is that what the pro life movement is about save the fetus and kill it in a military action. they save a fetus to protect the war efforts. they can pat themselves on the back but stand pro death in reality. a fetus is not a person. it has that potential.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  3. #63
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    In another thread(Human shields), a poster has argued that whenever you kill a person, no matter the situation, the result, or the person's deeds, it is always a bad thing.

    Is it so?

    Just to clarify, the question is not if killing a human can be a good thing, but if it is always a bad thing.
    Sometimes it is not only justified but necessary.


  4. #64
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    abortion is what it is aborting a fetus. it is no more than an unwanted cancer that is life as well. try to delude yourself into thinking that, that fetus is a life. maybe you can take one to the theater and fed it popcorn. you can't it has no person-hood. people would rather save the fetus and kill them i a war. is that what the pro life movement is about save the fetus and kill it in a military action. they save a fetus to protect the war efforts. they can pat themselves on the back but stand pro death in reality. a fetus is not a person. it has that potential.
    Fetus is a human. You're doing the same thing Blackdog does with war. You're trying to dehumanize your victim so that you don't feel bad about killing. But you should understand your actions and consequences and accept them in full. If you're woman enough to make a choice, you should be woman enough to abide by the consequences. Abortion decreases human life by 1, that's the facts.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #65
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Those are (for the most part) justified killing by legal means. The act of killing another human is still bad. Even if you have to defend yourself, and maybe you do, it's still a bad act to take the life of another.
    And I disagree. I do not for a second hold the value that 'life is sacred'. It's not. Good and bad are subjective to the individual.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Sometimes it is not only justified but necessary.
    Aye, sometimes is is legally justified, and sometimes to continue your own existence it is necessary. But does that make killing good? I would still say the act is bad, that killing is inherently a bad act.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And I disagree. I do not for a second hold the value that 'life is sacred'. It's not. Good and bad are subjective to the individual.
    There is a lot of subjective dynamics which goes along with morals, but there are also underlying universal ones. Right to Life is one of them. Thus that makes killing humans innately bad as you take something which cannot be remedied ever again and which infringes upon the most basic of all rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #68
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Aye, sometimes is is legally justified, and sometimes to continue your own existence it is necessary. But does that make killing good? I would still say the act is bad, that killing is inherently a bad act.
    I would say death is natural and inevitable and the word 'bad' is a highly subjective term.

    If a dictator or mass murderer gets killed, I see it as a good thing.


  9. #69
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I would say death is natural and inevitable and the word 'bad' is a highly subjective term.
    Rather Raven Queen-ish right there. Death is natural, but when you end one's life via non-natural means perhaps we're then in a realm of unnatural death and acts which become bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If a dictator or mass murderer gets killed, I see it as a good thing.
    I see their removal from power as a good thing. If it comes at the cost of their life, it is unfortunate. Again, can be justifiable, and in the case of a mass murdering dictator you're going to be hard pressed to do so in an unjustifiable manner. But it's still unfortunate that a person is killed.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #70
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There is a lot of subjective dynamics which goes along with morals, but there are also underlying universal ones. Right to Life is one of them. Thus that makes killing humans innately bad as you take something which cannot be remedied ever again and which infringes upon the most basic of all rights.
    And I disagree. Rights are social constructs, and there are no universal moral codes. I have no right to life outside of a society that grants and protects that right. My only 'right' to life outside of said society is based in my own ability to remain alive. No creature has any inherent 'right to life'.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •