View Poll Results: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 26.58%
  • No

    54 68.35%
  • Other

    4 5.06%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 144

Thread: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

  1. #131
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    You wouldn't consider it bad in any way?
    Having to kill your best friend or sibling?
    I would consider it bad that I was betrayed and that one of the people I trust attempted to take my life.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #132
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I would consider it bad that I was betrayed and that one of the people I trust attempted to take my life.
    Thus: Bad, but necessary.

    Some persons consider ANY killing of another human to be bad. Thus, ANY killing of another human is bad, but in some cases it is necessary.

    The results of killing another human may even, in some cases, be positive for a great many people.

    In those cases, there is, indeed, some good in the incident.

    But, I still consider it bad, overall.

    But still necessary.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #133
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Thus: Bad, but necessary.

    Some persons consider ANY killing of another human to be bad. Thus, ANY killing of another human is bad, but in some cases it is necessary.

    The results of killing another human may even, in some cases, be positive for a great many people.

    In those cases, there is, indeed, some good in the incident.

    But, I still consider it bad, overall.

    But still necessary.
    It'd bad because we failed them (and that is utopian I know.)
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  4. #134
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    It'd bad because we failed them (and that is utopian I know.)
    Explain and expand, please.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #135
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Explain and expand, please.
    It's because I believe that our basic nature, who we are in our truest level is wholesome and that when we act in a way which is not it is because we have in some way been harmed. Ideally instead of harming someone who was difficult or even dangerous we would heal them.

    I believe that healing anyone is possible because a psychiatrist managed to heal 6 of the coldest psychopaths in our jails so that they were able to feel the very thing the psychopath cannot feel - empathy

    but I am also aware he was particularly skilled and if we were to be able to heal more people we would need to heal the would be healers first.

    Eventually when we are all healed we will be very alive and creative.

    It is utopian and it is no where near where we are now and we may decide to kill each other instead but it is definitely one of the possible ways we could go.

    (must go to bed)
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  6. #136
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Thus: Bad, but necessary.

    Some persons consider ANY killing of another human to be bad. Thus, ANY killing of another human is bad, but in some cases it is necessary.

    The results of killing another human may even, in some cases, be positive for a great many people.

    In those cases, there is, indeed, some good in the incident.

    But, I still consider it bad, overall.

    But still necessary.
    Exactly. I think there are times when you can justify the killing of others. However, the act of killing another human is universally a bad action.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #137
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    You wouldn't consider it bad in any way?
    Having to kill your best friend or sibling?
    If I consider my life, or the life of my family 'good', therefore a threat to it must certainly be 'bad'. And eliminating that threat to ensure the ongoing lives of me and my family (good) must also be a 'good' thing.

    I don't for a second believe that any life is 'sacred'. I very much believe that killing some people is a very, VERY good thing for either myself, my family, my nation, or countless other people.

    How could it be 'bad' to kill a direct threat to my life if I consider my life to be 'good'? Whether that threat is a virus, a bear, a mountain lion, a dog, or a human? What lifeform the threat is, is fairly irrelevant.

  8. #138
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Come to think of it, I would actually feel worse for having to put down a wild animal attacking me than I would a person. In the case of the wild animal, it's acting primarily on instinct, or fear. Not understanding that I'm not a threat to it. But it only sees *threat to its life* and therefore I must be eliminated. Or threat to it's child's life, whatever.

    But in the case of a person? They know exactly what they are doing. That, to me, is less sad. I don't feel nearly as bad about putting someone down who knows precisely what they are doing and chooses to do it anyway, knowing full well the risks and possible outcomes.

    I'd feel much worse about putting down a momma bear just trying to protect her cubs.

  9. #139
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    If I consider my life, or the life of my family 'good', therefore a threat to it must certainly be 'bad'. And eliminating that threat to ensure the ongoing lives of me and my family (good) must also be a 'good' thing.
    Those are some of the positive aspects of defending yourself and your family by killing a person who is threatening those things.
    The negative aspects, IMO, are that you had to kill someone to do it.

    I would consider such an action to be a necessary but negative one.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't for a second believe that any life is 'sacred'. I very much believe that killing some people is a very, VERY good thing for either myself, my family, my nation, or countless other people.
    Absolutely true.
    Didn't I just say that?
    However, I would still consider it a necessary but negative occurrence.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    How could it be 'bad' to kill a direct threat to my life if I consider my life to be 'good'? Whether that threat is a virus, a bear, a mountain lion, a dog, or a human? What life form the threat is, is fairly irrelevant.
    I, and this thread, are specifically referring to another human as the threat.

    I consider it, overall, a negative occurrence to be forced into killing another human.

    I never said there were no positive aspects of such.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #140
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: Is killing a human always a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Exactly. I think there are times when you can justify the killing of others. However, the act of killing another human is universally a bad action.
    I disagree.. I would say the more accurate comment is a situation that requires you to kill someone else is universally a bad thing. However, the killing is not the evil. The evil is what has caused you to have to kill-in most cases, the harm the other person has done or is attempting to do



Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •