View Poll Results: Should Medical Marijuana Be Legal?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 73.24%
  • No

    12 16.90%
  • Other

    7 9.86%
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 325

Thread: Miracle Marijuana

  1. #261
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Someone doesn't apparently know the difference between anecdote and science.

    It is scientifically been shown that vomitting is in part the bodies way to expel excess alcohol for some people

    It is also scientifically shown that Marijuana helps to decrease the likelihood of vomiting, which is in part the basis of its use as a medicinal product for some people.

    Thus its perfectly logical, not from an anecdotal position but from a scientific one, to state that it could be dangerous to drink excessively and then mix it with alcohol as those two affects can coincide with each other potentially leading to bad situations.

    This is far different than going "dude, I got **** faced last night and then smoked up and like thirty minutes later I was sober. Pot makes you sober man".

    That is anecdotal. What CC said wasn't.
    Someone doesn't apparently know the difference between anecdote and science.
    Or more specifically, hypothesis and scientific theory/fact

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Oh I'm sorry, you must be right. Could you please post the link to the study that explains how the body cannot vomit while under the influence of marijuana.
    Meaning that patented prescriptions, that cost a thousand times more money than pot are easily available to the rich.

  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Commoncents View Post
    I think it should be legalized. We allow alcohol to be sold,alcohol is far more dangerous. Seems highly hypocritical to allow booze and still eye weed as an evil cousin to the real drugs that ruin societies. Despite a post to the contrary marjijauna is addictive,no question. However having been a user for years and years Ive quit cold turkey now and then for a variety of reasons. You do not end up on the floor in a fetal position,sweating and shaking uncontrollably from the DTs like an alcoholic.You get irritable and edgy for w few days,you wish you had more weed and then after a week or so....you dont care so much about it.In this country folks should be able to do what they like when they are not harming society outwardly or endangering their life immediately.If folks choose to damage themselves thru years of usage,its their body. The effects of these things are common knowledge.

    I do get a kick out of some of the excuses people bring to the table in the defense of weed....such as reducing violence....helping folks to get off alcohol....even some of the so called medical reasoning is tenuous.Weed is not the reason folks in Mexico are beheading people or why gangs in LA or Chicago engage in drivebys.You might take away a limited amount of domestic gang revenue and violence,that will be replaced with something else if weed isnt in demand.I fail to see the benefit of weed as a substitute to alcohol in terms of weening someone of an addiction to booze and smoking weed while drinking most certainly doesnt sober you up..it exacerbates the effects of alcohol actually.Now curing a hangover is a different story. Another thing I find a bit laughable is this concept that if it legalized there wont be more users....cmon now. Common sense dictates a different story.But as Ive maintained its their life,they should have the choice.

    Legalizing does have a variety of hurdles to overcome,logitically speaking. Who will sell it? Who will grow it? IMO the govt needs to stay out of the production/distribution business. The issue with regulation is if you overregulate,youll leave a black market in tact. If you dont regulate at all you wont be able to tax it and establish a tax revenue stream,which I think is fair.A middle ground must be found where Americans can profit but where folks cant just begin to grow acres of plants in the backyards. Weed is pretty much a weed. I rememeber a few years ago I was just throwing seeds out the window of my bedroom and before I knew what happened I had nice little crop sprouting up. There are many variables that make this issue more complex than some folks let on.

    In summary,I do advocate legalization of marijuana and decriminalization of the usage many others but sometimes I feel that prolegal advocates dont think of the cons,only the pros and often misrepresent even the pro sometimes.Until a clearly defined,comprehensive plan is thought out to deal with the many pitfalls that exist in making weed available publically all we can do is debate about it but lets all be honest while debating.
    In summary, people believe all kinds of things that have no basis in fact. Opponents of legalization rely on propaganda, weak or non-existent personal experience, anecdotal "evidence" and flat out lies.

    What little, actual, scientific knowledge we have seems to disprove the propaganda.

    Thousands of years of use tends to disprove the propaganda.

    Miracle Marijuana-comparecht-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Miracle Marijuana-comparecht-jpg 

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    In summary, people believe all kinds of things that have no basis in fact. Opponents of legalization rely on propaganda, weak or non-existent personal experience, anecdotal "evidence" and flat out lies.

    What little, actual, scientific knowledge we have seems to disprove the propaganda.

    Thousands of years of use tends to disprove the propaganda.

    Miracle Marijuana-comparecht-jpg
    NICE! There is my Addiction Index I was looking for.

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    In summary, people believe all kinds of things that have no basis in fact. Opponents of legalization rely on propaganda, weak or non-existent personal experience, anecdotal "evidence" and flat out lies.

    What little, actual, scientific knowledge we have seems to disprove the propaganda.

    Thousands of years of use tends to disprove the propaganda.

    Miracle Marijuana-comparecht-jpg
    Hey! Stop bad mouthing my coffee!

  6. #266
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Oh I'm sorry, you must be right. Could you please post the link to the study that explains how the body cannot vomit while under the influence of marijuana.
    When you can quote where I said that the body CANNOT vomit while under the influence of marijuana, I'll be happy to. But since I didn't and your comment is nothing more than your ridiculous strawman, there is no need.

    Further, the information I posted is scientific fact. The body release toxins formed by alcohol poisoning through vomiting; marijuana suppresses the vomiting center of the brain. You do the math. I understand that accepting that seriously affects your position, and that must be sad for you, but it doesn't change the fact that it is accurate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #267
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Marijuana affects the mind. It CAN affect the mind of people to a level that will cause poor reaction skills in crisis situations when driving. Just because it can do this doesn't mean that it will happen every time, to every person, everytime they go in a car. However, that doesn't mean its not good advise to tell people "Don't drive when you're high, its dangerous" because its unquestionably more dangerous driving while high then driving while completely sober without any distractions.

    Likewise, while not everyone will have issues puking if its needed because of excess alcohol because they're high, it still has the potential for that and as such increases ones risk more so than may be necessary. Thus, similarly, suggesting to people not to get hammered and completely stoned is a reasonable suggestion to make because the potential for harm is increased more so than if you just drank or just got stoned.

    No where has anyone said "If you smoke pot and drive you WILL get in a wreck" nor has anyone said "If you smoke pot and drink alcohol you will NOT be able to throw up". They've stated these kind of things have the potential to happen based on the evidence found concerning the situations and as such people suggest not to put yourself into higher risk situations for no particularly good reason.

  8. #268
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    My 2 cents worth, I thoroughly enjoyed smoking hash for some time once I discovered which type I enjoyed and which I did not.

    I am not aware of it being physically addictive but yes, psychologically addictive.

    I would enjoy some now to help with pain but no longer have the right sources and while the UK gov is thinking of making medicinal marijuana available I think it is intending on taking out the high which I think is not fair!!

    There is of course a strong argument for legalising all drugs so that care can be taken to make sure they are not impure and as important to get rid of all the crime associated with them.

    We went half way with marijuana. We made it a class C drug which meant people caught with it might get a caution but no more.

    However we then got a lot of psychiatrists complaining that people were suffering from increased paranoia and that with it being more or less legal people felt it was safe to take.

    I think we are moving back to making it Class B again.

    It is a difficult one to decide on.

    Like it or not people do believe if something is legal it is safe. We lost 2 teenagers taking a supposed 'legal high' last weekend and marijuana does lead to paranoia and how can I put it, laziness in some people.

    But for us oldies, for medical reasons - bring it on
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  9. #269
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Marijuana affects the mind. It CAN affect the mind of people to a level that will cause poor reaction skills in crisis situations when driving. Just because it can do this doesn't mean that it will happen every time, to every person, everytime they go in a car. However, that doesn't mean its not good advise to tell people "Don't drive when you're high, its dangerous" because its unquestionably more dangerous driving while high then driving while completely sober without any distractions.

    Likewise, while not everyone will have issues puking if its needed because of excess alcohol because they're high, it still has the potential for that and as such increases ones risk more so than may be necessary. Thus, similarly, suggesting to people not to get hammered and completely stoned is a reasonable suggestion to make because the potential for harm is increased more so than if you just drank or just got stoned.

    No where has anyone said "If you smoke pot and drive you WILL get in a wreck" nor has anyone said "If you smoke pot and drink alcohol you will NOT be able to throw up". They've stated these kind of things have the potential to happen based on the evidence found concerning the situations and as such people suggest not to put yourself into higher risk situations for no particularly good reason.
    The key here is to not get caught up in absolutes, and to remember that based on what marijuana does, biologically and chemically, it is completely appropriate to warn of it's dangers, but not to demonize it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The key here is to not get caught up in absolutes, and to remember that based on what marijuana does, biologically and chemically, it is completely appropriate to warn of it's dangers, but not to demonize it.
    Tell that to the federal government for the last 70 years.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •