View Poll Results: Should Medical Marijuana Be Legal?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 73.24%
  • No

    12 16.90%
  • Other

    7 9.86%
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 325

Thread: Miracle Marijuana

  1. #251
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    It seems to never end.
    It will end when the laws are corrected.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

  3. #253
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Except YOU would be wrong about that. It is wholly possible to die from alcohol intoxication. Throwing up alleviates alcohol intoxication. I hope that logic clears it up for you.
    Someone doesn't apparently know the difference between anecdote and science.

    It is scientifically been shown that vomitting is in part the bodies way to expel excess alcohol for some people

    It is also scientifically shown that Marijuana helps to decrease the likelihood of vomiting, which is in part the basis of its use as a medicinal product for some people.

    Thus its perfectly logical, not from an anecdotal position but from a scientific one, to state that it could be dangerous to drink excessively and then mix it with alcohol as those two affects can coincide with each other potentially leading to bad situations.

    This is far different than going "dude, I got **** faced last night and then smoked up and like thirty minutes later I was sober. Pot makes you sober man".

    That is anecdotal. What CC said wasn't.

  4. #254
    Student Commoncents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Quincy MA
    Last Seen
    08-26-10 @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    185

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    I think it should be legalized. We allow alcohol to be sold,alcohol is far more dangerous. Seems highly hypocritical to allow booze and still eye weed as an evil cousin to the real drugs that ruin societies. Despite a post to the contrary marjijauna is addictive,no question. However having been a user for years and years Ive quit cold turkey now and then for a variety of reasons. You do not end up on the floor in a fetal position,sweating and shaking uncontrollably from the DTs like an alcoholic.You get irritable and edgy for w few days,you wish you had more weed and then after a week or so....you dont care so much about it.In this country folks should be able to do what they like when they are not harming society outwardly or endangering their life immediately.If folks choose to damage themselves thru years of usage,its their body. The effects of these things are common knowledge.

    I do get a kick out of some of the excuses people bring to the table in the defense of weed....such as reducing violence....helping folks to get off alcohol....even some of the so called medical reasoning is tenuous.Weed is not the reason folks in Mexico are beheading people or why gangs in LA or Chicago engage in drivebys.You might take away a limited amount of domestic gang revenue and violence,that will be replaced with something else if weed isnt in demand.I fail to see the benefit of weed as a substitute to alcohol in terms of weening someone of an addiction to booze and smoking weed while drinking most certainly doesnt sober you up..it exacerbates the effects of alcohol actually.Now curing a hangover is a different story. Another thing I find a bit laughable is this concept that if it legalized there wont be more users....cmon now. Common sense dictates a different story.But as Ive maintained its their life,they should have the choice.

    Legalizing does have a variety of hurdles to overcome,logitically speaking. Who will sell it? Who will grow it? IMO the govt needs to stay out of the production/distribution business. The issue with regulation is if you overregulate,youll leave a black market in tact. If you dont regulate at all you wont be able to tax it and establish a tax revenue stream,which I think is fair.A middle ground must be found where Americans can profit but where folks cant just begin to grow acres of plants in the backyards. Weed is pretty much a weed. I rememeber a few years ago I was just throwing seeds out the window of my bedroom and before I knew what happened I had nice little crop sprouting up. There are many variables that make this issue more complex than some folks let on.

    In summary,I do advocate legalization of marijuana and decriminalization of the usage many others but sometimes I feel that prolegal advocates dont think of the cons,only the pros and often misrepresent even the pro sometimes.Until a clearly defined,comprehensive plan is thought out to deal with the many pitfalls that exist in making weed available publically all we can do is debate about it but lets all be honest while debating.
    Last edited by Commoncents; 03-19-10 at 09:57 AM.
    Someone told me once that there's a right and wrong,
    and that punishment would come to those who dare to cross the line. - TooL

  5. #255
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    I disagree with the notion that legalization won't create more users. (hell, here's one that it'd likely create at least once to see what it was like)

    However I do agree with the general notion that I don't think we'd see a large increase in the amount of people getting intoxicated in some form or another. I think what you'd see is that some of your normal alcohol drinkers would probably start taking up pot as well if it was allowable. And I think many of the people that don't do it because its not legal currently but would do it if it became legal are people who already drink.

    I think the number of people who don't drink, and don't smoke illegally, but would smoke if it was made legal is extremely low when taken into account the entire population and thus I think the amount of increased individuals getting intoxicated would not go up by much, not the amount of people doing marijuana.

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I disagree with the notion that legalization won't create more users. (hell, here's one that it'd likely create at least once to see what it was like)
    Note that it typically takes smoking 3 to 5 times before you get high if you have never smoked before. I think it has something to do with the creation and deployment of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor"]cannabinoid receptors[/ame].

    However I do agree with the general notion that I don't think we'd see a large increase in the amount of people getting intoxicated in some form or another. I think what you'd see is that some of your normal alcohol drinkers would probably start taking up pot as well if it was allowable. And I think many of the people that don't do it because its not legal currently but would do it if it became legal are people who already drink.

    I think the number of people who don't drink, and don't smoke illegally, but would smoke if it was made legal is extremely low when taken into account the entire population and thus I think the amount of increased individuals getting intoxicated would not go up by much, not the amount of people doing marijuana.
    Binary_digit has good evidence on this issue. Here is one:

    http://www.mapinc.org/lib/limited.pdf
    We found no evidence to support claims that criminalization reduces use or that decriminalization increases use.

  7. #257
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    I'll have to give it a closer read after work Thanks.

    At a quick perusal though, it seems to be focusing primarily on long term or regular users of the substance. But I'd have to look at it closer.

    It'd definitely be something I'd be interested in reading and looking at the method of performing hte research as it doesn't jive with common sense to me, unless it is looking at anyone that's done it even a single time and concluding the numbers wouldn't change much...and even then it just doesn't seem to stand up to normal reason. I by no means am saying what I would consider common sense or my anecdotal evidence proves it wrong, but simply it spurs me to read it closer to find out why I may be wrong.

    I know of a number of people whom I went to school for that all wished to get into law enforcement that either have never smoked, or had once long ago but do not continue the practice, due to realizing they would have to get a security clearance for any job they wished to get into (this was me included). I have a good guess the majority of us would at least do it occasionally, if for nothing else to see how we responded to it, if it was legalized. I find it hard to imagine that such a situation is unique. While alcohol laws weren't enough to deter us from drinking under aged the penalties for that were far less harsh than marijuana.

    That said, its hardly a scientific means of determining it. Should be an interesting study to read.

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I know of a number of people whom I went to school for that all wished to get into law enforcement that either have never smoked, or had once long ago but do not continue the practice, due to realizing they would have to get a security clearance for any job they wished to get into (this was me included).
    I am currently screwed on the job availability front, living like you in the NOVA area, since I cannot get an interim clearance. I last smoked in March, 2005 but Secret Clearances look back 7 years for drugs. I will not lie on the application. This means I admit to last smoking regularly in 2005 and that blocks me automatically from getting an interim clearance. I think I would get a clearance given a full investigation but employers can't afford to wait that long. In two years I will be past the limit and able to get an interim.

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I am currently screwed on the job availability front, living like you in the NOVA area, since I cannot get an interim clearance. I last smoked in March, 2005 but Secret Clearances look back 7 years for drugs. I will not lie on the application. This means I admit to last smoking regularly in 2005 and that blocks me automatically from getting an interim clearance. I think I would get a clearance given a full investigation but employers can't afford to wait that long. In two years I will be past the limit and able to get an interim.
    The world work forces loses a lot of brilliant people because of pot being illegal.

    What would music be like today without pot? Just wonderin?

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Except YOU would be wrong about that. It is wholly possible to die from alcohol intoxication. Throwing up alleviates alcohol intoxication. I hope that logic clears it up for you.
    Oh I'm sorry, you must be right. Could you please post the link to the study that explains how the body cannot vomit while under the influence of marijuana.

    The American Medical Association (AMA), the largest association of physicians and medical students in the US, stated in its June 2001 online report titled "Medical Marijuana":

    "When directly compared, oral THC was preferred to smoked marijuana, but only 20% to 25% of patients receiving either drug achieved complete control of emesis (vomiting) Oral and smoked THC were ineffective in older patients (median age = 41 years) who were inexperienced in the use of smoked marijuana....

    In summary, substantial progress has been made in controlling chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.... Although there have been few formal studies of smoked marijuana, its reported efficacy for complete prevention of acute emesis is less than what normally would be considered sufficient to warrant a formal trial given the efficacy of available agents."

    June 2001 - American Medical Association (AMA)

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •