View Poll Results: Should Medical Marijuana Be Legal?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 73.24%
  • No

    12 16.90%
  • Other

    7 9.86%
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 325

Thread: Miracle Marijuana

  1. #171
    Legend in my own mind!
    MrFungus420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    More from your study:

    "The results of the studies corroborate those of previous driving simulator and closed-course tests by indicating that THC in inhaled doses up to 300 g/kg has significant, yet not dramatic, dose-related impairing effects on driving performance (cf. Smiley, 1986)."

    Significant, in research methods, means statistically significant. There was enough of a deviation and impairment for the researchers to mention this.
    Yes, statistically significant. In other words, any amount greater than the margin of error.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Also, from your quote: "Evidence from the present and previous studies strongly suggests that alcohol encourages risky driving whereas THC encourages greater caution, at least in experiments."

    This is evidence that the drivers ARE impaired. They KNOW that because of the drug, their driving ability has been diminished, an therefore attempt to exercise more caution.

    Also: "Although THC's adverse effects on driving performance appeared relatively small in the tests employed in this program, one can still easily imagine situations where the influence of marijuana smoking might have a dangerous effect; i.e., emergency situations which put high demands on the driver's information processing capacity, prolonged monotonous driving, and after THC has been taken with other drugs, especially alcohol."

    Slippery road, quick stops, night driving in bad weather. All of these situations, any kind of impairment, including that from THC can be significantly more dangerous.
    I'm not denying any of that. But the impairment was never greater than that which is considered an acceptable level with alcohol.

    I'm sorry, but I think that your blanket statement that it is dangerous is bordering on dishonest.
    "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."
    - The Tick

  2. #172
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    137,411

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFungus420 View Post
    Yes, statistically significant. In other words, any amount greater than the margin of error.
    No, statistically significant, in research methods, means that it proves the hypothesis.



    I'm not denying any of that. But the impairment was never greater than that which is considered an acceptable level with alcohol.
    It showed impairment on the level of alcohol impairment, especially when it came to the tasks that operate outside the conscious control.

    I'm sorry, but I think that your blanket statement that it is dangerous is bordering on dishonest.
    Making a blanket statement that it is NOT dangerous IS dishonest. Of course it is dangerous. So is alcohol. Each in different ways and with different effects.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    0123456789
    The AMA report is ten years old. Some people on this site were not even born then.

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    From what I see of all the research, there is no doubt that marijuana is physically addictive in some people. Is it as addictive as many other substances? No, but that does not change that it IS, at times. The issue with this is that this does not alter whether or not marijuana should be legalized. It should. If we were to make illegal any substance that were physically addictive, alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee is gone... which makes no sense. However, for pro-legalizers, denying the physically addictive quality of marijuana weakens your argument... because you are misrepresenting reality. It's exactly like anti-legalizers saying that if you smoke marijuana, you WILL become lazy or WILL go insane. This too, is a gross misrepresentation and weakens the anti-legalizers argument.
    I appreciate you posting all that info, it was insightful. But the things stated go contrary to previous research and stated effects, such as: cannabis is not a gateway drug; cannabis is not physically addictive; cannabis is habit forming, etc.

    I'm not saying you're wrong or there's some conspiracy. I just want to see greater institutions, like maybe the AMA, pour over the data and confirm these results. The studies have been very back and forth over the past decade. A good example is whether or not cannabis causes cancer. The British Medical Association said no, definitely not, about two years ago. The AMA says maybe. The Canadian Medical Association said yes, then no, then maybe.

    If the research you post is very new, then yes, it's a possibility that what it claims is true, but you have to look at the context of the whole history of the research, especially the past 5-10 years. I guess, in short, when you say that "yes cannabis is addictive", I am wary of that claim because the reports have been so inconsistent. I would rather just settle on maybe, but it's inconclusive.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 09:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    CAN. That's the word that I used as a qualifier. It CAN affect me and others around you. In a sense we do agree.




    Drug use CAN lead to problematic behavior.
    Why are you trying to make an argument against something by using the word CAN associated with the thing you are arguing? You know what that is, right?

  6. #176
    Tavern Bartender
    #prouddeplorable
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    70,106

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Just remember that during prohibiktion that there were a record number of children who were alcoholics because any kid could buy it. They also used to deliver buckets of beer which they tweaked, during the delivery process.

    Go ahead keep it illegal so our kids can easily obtain it from the local crack dealer.
    Beer was here in America from the beginning.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country spoke, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #177
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFungus420 View Post
    Oh please...

    It gets you high and you like it.

    It doesn't make you smarter, it doesn't expand your mind. It just gets you stoned.
    It does make me high, which is why I do it. being high is a more evolved state of mind, hence the name. Most Masterworks have been done by People that were High. ---It also makes ugly people, look somewhat better, I might add.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 09:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Free clue: It certainly does contain addictive substances. It attaches and excites cannabiod receptors in the brain, similar to what opiates do to opioid receptors. This can cause an addictive reaction in some folks. You are providing incorrect information.
    Free Clue: until you provide the requested source(s) it is YOU that is providing incorrect information.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I've already said that the studies are copyrighted and I cannot link to them. I am trying to locate some excerpts that I can post. I will try to locate them tonight.
    Good, I'm anxious to see them.

    The AMA article says nothing about Marijuana being addictive and your editorial from the Collegiate Times only says this:
    Unlike caffeine, most evidence suggests that marijuana is not physically addictive. Physical addiction to a drug is caused by the drug physically altering one’s brain chemistry in a way that nurtures dependence. For example, the brain is not accustomed to caffeine. The dependence one develops comes from his brain attempting to compensate for the unnatural chemical reaction.
    Got anything else you'd like to try?

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 09:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFungus420 View Post
    Not very, it appears:

    "THC's effects on road-tracking after doses up to 300 g/kg never exceeded alcohol's at bacs of 0.08 g%; and, were in no way unusual compared to many medicinal drugs' (Robbe, 1994; Robbe and O'Hanlon, 1995; O'Hanlon et al., 1995). Yet, THC's effects differ qualitatively from many other drugs, especially alcohol. Evidence from the present and previous studies strongly suggests that alcohol encourages risky driving whereas THC encourages greater caution, at least in experiments. Another way THC seems to differ qualitatively from many other drugs is that the former's users seem better able to compensate for its adverse effects while driving under the influence."

    Marijuana And Actual Driving Performance

    I tried to find a link to this on the NHTSA's website, but they seem to have deleted it (which is one reason that I don't consider the US government to be a reliable source about drugs, they have a history of ignoring and trying to cover up anything that doesn't support "Drugs are bad, M'Kay").
    From a long history of personal experience I conclude that:
    1) Marijuana affects people differently. Unlike alcohol which impair people basically in the same manner.
    2) different types of marijuana produce different effects. Add those differences to #1 above and the range of variation widens.
    3) It certainly can impair driving in some people because of,
    • it's hallucinatory effects (the tendency to daydream)
    • the tendency to loose focus or be easily distracted.


    The study you present is FAR to narrow, in all aspects, to be useful.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 09:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I found the study that I remember citing. As I said, because of copyright limitations, I cannot link to the actual study. Here is my post from oh so long ago:



    And here:



    And here:



    There's more spread throughout a few threads and post due to the inability of direct quoting or linking to the study.
    Nothing you quoted proves that Marijuana contains any addictive substance. Everything you quoted indicates habitual dependence.

    Not only that but you'd have to link to or present the entire studies for examination because clinical information on MJ has been and still is lacking as well as a lack of serious scientific study on a scale large enough to draw conclusions while thousands of years of anecdotal use denies the vast majority of government propaganda.

    As a Schedule One drug, MJ research (in the USA) may only be performed by approval of the fedgov and the samples for research use are provided by one government source which is limited in strains.

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •