View Poll Results: Should Medical Marijuana Be Legal?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 73.24%
  • No

    12 16.90%
  • Other

    7 9.86%
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 325

Thread: Miracle Marijuana

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    When pot was ten bucks a lid and pounds cost less than a 100.00.
    ****, yeah! When I bought my one and only pound, it was $800. That was a lot of weed!

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Ok, it is addictive. I take CC at his word because of his expertise.

    What I would like to know is how addictive is it? Is there an Addiction Index or something. It is WAY less addictive that cigarettes (plenty of experience here), and I assume Heroin (no experience there). I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, let us say a pack a day smoker is addicted to an 8. I would say a habitual pot smoker is addicted to a 1, or just maybe a 2.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Ok, it is addictive. I take CC at his word because of his expertise.

    What I would like to know is how addictive is it? Is there an Addiction Index or something. It is WAY less addictive that cigarettes (plenty of experience here), and I assume Heroin (no experience there). I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, let us say a pack a day smoker is addicted to an 8. I would say a habitual pot smoker is addicted to a 1, or just maybe a 2.
    Oh, its definitely from what I understand one of the lesser physical addictive type substances but somewhat decently mentally addictive after extended use.

    That said, I see no reason why that should mean it should stay illegal. As has been said, numerous addictive things both physically and mentally.... cigarettes, alcohol, caffine, etc...are sold on the market today.

    The problem comes with arguing that its absolutely, completely, non-addictive is that:

    1) It makes you look either dishonest or stupid
    2) It then makes the debate have to start FIRST at your erroneous statement and not first on the "why is addictiveness alone reason to ban when other similar things are not"

    By obfuscating and lying it immediately brings the legitimacy of your claims into question and creates a natural backlash.

    It also too often is a lead in for some as well to go from "Its not addictive" to "It makes me a better driver" or other such statements when the natural next step comes up in regards to the legalization argument, which is regulation.

    Often times people see people arguing "Its not addictive" and "Its perfectly harmless" as a means of setting up the notion that it absolutely should not be regulated in the way similar to alcohol or tobacco.

  4. #114
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    depending on the measures and age group studied, 4 percent to 9 percent of marijuana users fulfill diagnostic criteria for substance dependence. Although some marijuana users develop dependence, they appear to be less likely to do so than users of alcohol and nicotine, and the abstinence syndrome is less severe. Like other drugs, dependence is more likely to occur in individuals with co-morbid psychiatric conditions.

    AMA - Report 6 of the Council on Scientific Affairs (A-01) Full t
    dr. Jack henningfield from the national institute of drug abuse made a chart rating the addictiveness of various substances. On it, he rated marijuana as less addictive than caffeine.


    Caffeine may be more dangerous than marijuana - CollegiateTimes.com
    0123456789

  5. #115
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Are you serious?

    Having partaken on a daily basis, (a few weeks/months off, here and there,) for over 35 years, I would think I know enough about it to not have to depend on a link or a shrink.

    I have to ask. Where did you EVER get the idea my words weren't from personal experience? Hell, I wrote the book son.


    PS.... I am a Hou-stone-ian too. Northeast. Class of 75. When pot was ten bucks a lid and pounds cost less than a 100.00.
    It's just that you posted this, so I just assumed you were against using personal experience as fact.
    Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    "Your experiences are irrelevant. You are one person and do not speak for everyone."---and Howdy there H-Town.-- Mexican weed was $50 an lb, and a match box was $5. Ah the good old days.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  6. #116
    Legend in my own mind!
    MrFungus420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    so, if they have it in a pill, why does marijuana need to be legal?
    For one thing, one of the main uses of it is to help battle nausea.

    If you are puking up the pills (and this is a problem with all anti-emetic/anti-nausea pills), then you are not getting the medicine.

    A method of inhalation is far superior to something that needs to be ingested in this instance.

    But, as I've said before, I am a proponent of legalization, period.
    The medicinal uses are one of the reasons for it. The industrial/commercial uses are another reason. That there is no Constitutional justification for it is another. The violence that is caused by the Drug War is another.

    That I personally like it is another reason. However, I have no interest in most other illegal drugs, but I am a proponent of the legalization of those as well.
    "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."
    - The Tick

  7. #117
    Legend in my own mind!
    MrFungus420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    Pot is not a crutch, and it's not a place to hide. If anything, it is like looking at the World through a microscope. I don't blame people for fearing their own minds. the thought of expanding it is probably more than they can bear.
    Oh please...

    It gets you high and you like it.

    It doesn't make you smarter, it doesn't expand your mind. It just gets you stoned.
    "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."
    - The Tick

  8. #118
    Legend in my own mind!
    MrFungus420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Show me the studies. I know about pot because I am experienced about it and you are not.
    That's what's referred to as an "anecdote". It is not evidence of anything.

    You are into the same realm of logic that those who say that they KNOW that God exists because they have personally felt his presence.
    "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."
    - The Tick

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    this is what I'm talking about. How can someones own personal experiences, be classified as irrelevant, but some third parities is treated like fact? No one claims to speak for all people. but if we don't include our personal experiences, we are left to just quote third parties, and to trust in people's findings that have no relevance to our own life experiences. I count on first hand experiences, and to me, they are very relevant.
    Your personal experiences are relevant... TO YOU. And that's it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Miracle Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Ok, it is addictive. I take CC at his word because of his expertise.

    What I would like to know is how addictive is it? Is there an Addiction Index or something. It is WAY less addictive that cigarettes (plenty of experience here), and I assume Heroin (no experience there). I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, let us say a pack a day smoker is addicted to an 8. I would say a habitual pot smoker is addicted to a 1, or just maybe a 2.
    I don't think there is an "Addiction Index". It would be a fascinating thing to develop, but I'm not sure how something like that could be objectively measured. If I figure it out, I'm sure I'd make millions.

    Marijuana is fairly low on the scale of addictiveness from all the studies I've read. Nicotine is about the highest. Opiates are pretty high also.

    But remember, and Zyph said it well, when arguing for legalization (which I am for, btw), making the claim that it is NOT addictive, immediately makes your position appear non-credible, since, right of the bat, you are presenting something that is not true. Same thing when pro-legalization folks say "pot isn't dangerous" or "alcohol is worse". All of these statements are either irrelevant, false, or both. If someone presents a pro-legalization argument, constructed in a way that all they are really saying is, "I want pot legalized so I can get high without consequences", they will look like an idiot and be dismissed as one. I could go just as far with the argument, "I want murder legalized so I can kill someone without consequences." It demonstrates no logic. I was anti-legalization for a LONG time. A poster here at DP changed my mind by making a completely logical and reasonable argument, of which I have expanded after a bit of research. To prove your point, you have to have some viable, valid reason for it to stand on. The argument, "I want pot legalized so I can get high without consequences" is ridiculous and will convince no one. And it will lose.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •