View Poll Results: Do you agree?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 28.57%
  • No

    5 71.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: A zygote and a laptop.

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Nonsense thread.

    When your laptop can grow and have real emotions and self-awareness, let us know, so we can call the men in the white coats for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    Nonsense thread.

    When your zygote can grow up and make you love it as much as you love your laptop, let us know, so we can call the men in the white coats for ya.
    Moderator's Warning:
    A zygote and a laptop.Troll posts. Do it again and I will make sure you will not do it a third time.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Who says it has to be? Read the second definition. My argument is that if some inanimate objects can be classified as organisms because of definition #2, and these organisms can be destroyed, removed by whatever means the owner decides, then the same can be said about zygotes by virtue of them being an organism with an owner of sorts.
    The second definition does not define it as living though, just systematic and organized. In this sense it is talking about something that is organized and functions, not something that is alive. We could say a concept is an organism like the assembly line or a mathematical formula. To be living an organism must meet the four criteria for lie.
    1. It must be able to reproduce (and a zygote does reproduce new cells, it is also the product of reproduction).
    2. It must be able to respond to the environment (which the zygote does, it tries to implant and responds to the female's body).
    3. It must be able to metabolize (the zygote has a metabolism)
    4. It must contain DNA.

    Now a zygote meets all for criteria for life and is a living being by all definitions. All biologist recognize it as a living organism. By definition number 2 a laptop is an "organism" in the sense that it is an organized system. However, it is not an organism by living standards. In this definition the word organism is not synonymous with "a living thing." Also, by your argument would it be ok for someone to kill a slave because they own them? (I say this with all respect) Your argument does not take into effect the fact that organism and life are not synonymous by the two definitions given. A zygote and a laptop may both be organisms by these definitions, but the zygote is a living organism and a laptop is a non living organism. You cannot kill what is non living, and therefore destroying a laptop is not equal with killing a zygote.
    Last edited by digsbe; 03-08-10 at 11:11 PM.

  3. #13
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    A computer is a system. It has a structure analogous to those in a living body. If computers have a sort of "birth", "lifespan" and ultimately a "death", and if it is perfectly fine for me to take my computer and destroy it in whatever way I see fit. Is it fine for a woman to do the same thing to a zygote? I believe it is perfectly fine to do so if the logic we are going by is one where context is no longer necessary. Do you?
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to vote "yes," because for a second there, I thought I was answering a logical question ...


  4. #14
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to vote "yes," because for a second there, I thought I was answering a logical question ...
    If you read this thread :

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...and-birth.html

    It will seem entirely logical.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #15
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    organism - definition of organism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.



    A computer is a system. It has a structure analogous to those in a living body. If computers have a sort of "birth", "lifespan" and ultimately a "death", and if it is perfectly fine for me to take my computer and destroy it in whatever way I see fit. Is it fine for a woman to do the same thing to a zygote? I believe it is perfectly fine to do so if the logic we are going by is one where context is no longer necessary. Do you?
    Specifically because you say out of context, yes. But in context, destroying a computer and killing a zygote are drastically different.

    I suppose under a certain set of cirumstances, your view is correct, but thats only under those circumstances I'm afraid.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #16
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you read this thread :

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...and-birth.html

    It will seem entirely logical.
    Seems to be a good mimic of the thread you linked, inappropriate choices in definitions and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  7. #17
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Specifically because you say out of context, yes. But in context, destroying a computer and killing a zygote are drastically different.

    I suppose under a certain set of cirumstances, your view is correct, but thats only under those circumstances I'm afraid.
    So is giving birth to a newborn baby, and saying conception is the "birth" of an organism....It's all context really, but you seemed to voted false here and true on the other thread. Conflicted?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  8. #18
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: A zygote and a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    So is giving birth to a newborn baby, and saying conception is the "birth" of an organism....It's all context really, but you seemed to voted false here and true on the other thread. Conflicted?
    I really don't know what you're talking about, I voted yes on this poll.

    And yes, it is about context. If you chose to exclude context as was the case in this thread, then a laptop and a zygote are quite similar. But if you take all facts into account, it's quite stupid to compare a zygote and a laptop in terms of being an organism.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •