View Poll Results: What do you think when you see someone with huge holes in their ears?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • That he looks really cool & I'd like to get to know him!

    4 9.09%
  • That he might be a good person to score some drugs from.

    3 6.82%
  • I'd like to introduce him to my daughter!

    1 2.27%
  • I would like to hire him to housesit for me

    0 0%
  • That he is probably a regular drug user

    8 18.18%
  • He is most likely a client of Mental Health

    6 13.64%
  • How in the world does he support himself?

    6 13.64%
  • That I would never judge by appearance!

    9 20.45%
  • He would make a good employee!

    1 2.27%
  • That he'll probably be offended if he catches me staring at him.

    6 13.64%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90

Thread: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

  1. #41
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    I miss the gold old days when just having Beatles bangs was enough to roust the angry mob into full pitchfork and torch mode.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #42
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,976

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    That he has restricted his opportunities to be successful in life and to select blue collar occupations. Or that he has no ambition to be anything other than a twenty year old. I know huge holes in the ears is what I look for in a judge, lawyer, doctor, teacher, "soldier," senator, CEO, cop, etc.
    Last edited by MSgt; 03-06-10 at 01:30 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  3. #43
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,976

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I miss the gold old days when just having Beatles bangs was enough to roust the angry mob into full pitchfork and torch mode.
    Imagine the year 2030. Our President in assless chaps and a mohawk may be considered distinguished.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    I'm not surprised at all. I think people who do anything like this to their body are up for public scrutiny whether they wanted it or not.

    Personally, I could give a rats ass if a person wants to stretch their lobes past the point of recognition - they aren't my ears. As far as employment goes, it's human nature to pass judgement or assume (most times WRONGLY) that someone is "stupid" or a "drug addict" because of their appearance - but people do it. Body mods is no indication of a persons ability or inability to do a job. Unfortunately, they most times will not even be given the chance. That is a consequence people know about when they choose to do something like that.

    Much like when someone sees an obese person. Have people describe them and the first thing most people say is "lazy". It's a judgement and people make them all the time.

    I would never do body mods like the ear thing.. but I do have a few tattoos. Mine are not on my face or somewhere that is "out in someone's face" yet people will assume I'm some scourge, dumbass or trashy slut solely based on the fact that I have them and MOST times, they have no idea where they are because by all account and dressed in my office attire, nobody knows. /shrug

    If they are that narrow minded, then I don't want them to get to know me to begin with. Not my loss.

    One question: do you have a tramp-stamp?

    Okay okay, I'll be serious. I try not to judge people by what they look like, because I don't like it when people do it to me either. It can be hard, though, when you're talking about extremes of body modification.

    Still, as you say: when you do things like this, especially if you go for the big-gauges-and-many-many-obvious-tatts-and-piercings look, you're making an obvious display of whatever message or look you're intending to convey, to everyone who sees you.
    Most people who don't go in for such things tend to assume it is a middle finger raised defiantly at "conventional society" and respond accordingly. What a shock that the reactions are mostly negative, eh? /irony

    What prompts a desire for such an extreme look?

    In many cases, especially if we're talking about younger people, it is definitely a desire to "stand out" and attract attention. Granted that in, say L.A. in 2010 you have to look very different to attract that much attention... still I think it is often a manifestation of insecurities or attention-whore neediness.

    After all, large numbers of people these days have piercings and obvious tatts. If someone wants to generate that "holy crap! Did you see that guy??" reaction that some folks crave, you have to go to extremes... face tatts, big earlobe gauges, head spikes, split tongues, or some combo thereof. Hail there's probably clubs when even THOSE mods don't draw more than a few glances. What's the next extreme? I hate to find out.

    Can you say "the Reaver look", Firefly fans?

    Some people say they do it because they like the "style" or the "look". I still have to wonder what that means. What is it you want to look like? What message are you trying to send?

    The guy that I mentioned, the ass't manager at a restaurant... If I had to guess, his big-gauges and multiply-pierced, covered-in-tatts look are intended to convey an obvious warning of his antisocial nature. His behavior, IMO, backs up that analysis.

    To be honest, if you deliberately go out of your way to look like a freak of nature, don't be shocked when people treat you accordingly and assume you're some sort of anti-social or anti-everything type.

    I'm not saying that everyone who has gauges is like that... but anything taken to extremes tends to put most people off.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #45
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Imagine the year 2030. Our President in assless chaps and a mohawk may be considered distinguished.
    Are you trying to tell me there's still time for me to make a run at it?

    Will my boyish behind still shine like two perfect, ripe peach halves when I'm 76, though?


    Time will certainly tell.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #46
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,976

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Are you trying to tell me there's still time for me to make a run at it?

    Will my boyish behind still shine like two perfect, ripe peach halves when I'm 76, though?


    Time will certainly tell.
    It's all about the attitude. If you flaunt it, they will vote.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  7. #47
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    One question: do you have a tramp-stamp?

    Okay okay, I'll be serious. I try not to judge people by what they look like, because I don't like it when people do it to me either. It can be hard, though, when you're talking about extremes of body modification.

    Still, as you say: when you do things like this, especially if you go for the big-gauges-and-many-many-obvious-tatts-and-piercings look, you're making an obvious display of whatever message or look you're intending to convey, to everyone who sees you.
    Most people who don't go in for such things tend to assume it is a middle finger raised defiantly at "conventional society" and respond accordingly. What a shock that the reactions are mostly negative, eh? /irony

    What prompts a desire for such an extreme look?

    In many cases, especially if we're talking about younger people, it is definitely a desire to "stand out" and attract attention. Granted that in, say L.A. in 2010 you have to look very different to attract that much attention... still I think it is often a manifestation of insecurities or attention-whore neediness.

    After all, large numbers of people these days have piercings and obvious tatts. If someone wants to generate that "holy crap! Did you see that guy??" reaction that some folks crave, you have to go to extremes... face tatts, big earlobe gauges, head spikes, split tongues, or some combo thereof. Hail there's probably clubs when even THOSE mods don't draw more than a few glances. What's the next extreme? I hate to find out.

    Can you say "the Reaver look", Firefly fans?

    Some people say they do it because they like the "style" or the "look". I still have to wonder what that means. What is it you want to look like? What message are you trying to send?

    The guy that I mentioned, the ass't manager at a restaurant... If I had to guess, his big-gauges and multiply-pierced, covered-in-tatts look are intended to convey an obvious warning of his antisocial nature. His behavior, IMO, backs up that analysis.

    To be honest, if you deliberately go out of your way to look like a freak of nature, don't be shocked when people treat you accordingly and assume you're some sort of anti-social or anti-everything type.

    I'm not saying that everyone who has gauges is like that... but anything taken to extremes tends to put most people off.

    To answer your question - no, I don't.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  8. #48
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    Not too bad. I'm friends with someone who routinly wears studded jackets, parachute pants, and a blue mohawk. I've seen stranger.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  9. #49
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    The thought that runs though my head is "this person seems to seek an alternative to the mainstream lifestyle, I hope it works for him" Then I always think "Would I be happy in that sort of life style?" Think for a bit and come to the conclusion I wouldn't. Than I would promptly forget the whole thing to start over on the next person with a blue head or an animal sewed to his eyebrow or whatever.

    In terms hiring, I would probably discriminate because I would worry that someone who isn't interested in mainstream things wouldn't be concerned with the job. The right approach? I have no idea, but it would take some beefy credentials to overcome it.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 03-06-10 at 07:29 PM.

  10. #50
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: What do you think when you see a guy with 1 inch holes in each ear?

    I think what's interesting, is that people assume that people who have body mods such as this, would be interested in a more conventional career to begin with.

    I highly doubt someone with horn implants and elfin'modded ears are looking for a high profile job as a pediatrician, investment broker, personal banker, CPA, teacher, etc..... I'm sure there are exceptions, but overall - I would think their personality wouldn't be suited for the more conservative job market to begin with.

    I don't know many people with body mods that are on welfare either... so someone is hiring them or they are working for themselves. Just because they won't be the next Alan Greenspan doesn't mean they will go on to be nothings.

    Although I'm sure there are people out there that hold the opinion they will be.

    To each their own.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •