View Poll Results: Are Rights Natural?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    27 40.30%
  • No.

    32 47.76%
  • Other.

    6 8.96%
  • Rootabega.

    16 23.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 352

Thread: Are Rights Natural?

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Doesnt the very word 'right' imply that the individual would 'have' these things?

    I think it is a sense of entitlement...the curse of affluence. We assume that people should have all these rights (disregarding that people had to fight and die to win those rights). But if it is a right...wouldnt it be something we all enjoy? Wouldnt it be something that no one could ever take from us?

    As an ideal...human/natural rights is a wonderful concept. That concpet assumes everyone is benevolent, moral, and motivated to provide for the greater good.

    yeeeeeeeeeeeah....ummmmmm....no....
    Just because a right is natural doesn't presume that no one will try and control that right.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Wow. that is...just...so NOT reality.
    People create laws, laws reign in rights, so therefore laws are human creations where rights simply exist. It's really not that difficult of a concept. For instance, Jaywalking, it may not be smart, but without a law preventing it it would be legal correct? Correct. Therefore the right to the action existed before the law corrected it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #23
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Just because a right is natural doesn't presume that no one will try and control that right.
    Then it CANT POSSIBLY be a right. Its an idea.

  4. #24
    Professor
    CrusaderRabbit08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    05-13-10 @ 02:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Rights are natural; the problem lies in enforcing them.

  5. #25
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    People create laws, laws reign in rights, so therefore laws are human creations where rights simply exist. It's really not that difficult of a concept. For instance, Jaywalking, it may not be smart, but without a law preventing it it would be legal correct? Correct. Therefore the right to the action existed before the law corrected it.
    Lets get down to it...what do you believe the word 'right' means exactly??? Because I promise you...in america...a land that has known relative affluence for a few centuries...it has a completely different meaning than other places...

    So...what does it mean to have these 'rights'? Why did the founders of the country create the constitution if not to set a legal precedence and law to provide FOR these rights?

  6. #26
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Then it CANT POSSIBLY be a right. Its an idea.
    You would be wrong on that. Why do you think that dictatorships and China are accused of human rights violations. The rights exist, they aren subjegated by government force, coercion.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    But if it is a right...wouldnt it be something we all enjoy? Wouldnt it be something that no one could ever take from us?
    No one can take your rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    As an ideal...human/natural rights is a wonderful concept. That concpet assumes everyone is benevolent, moral, and motivated to provide for the greater good.
    No it doesn't. That's why government was created.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    Rights are natural; the problem lies in enforcing them.
    You get how silly that sounds...correct? Rights are 'natural'...and must be 'enforced'...so if you dont HAVE food water and shelter, who violated your rights?

  9. #29
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    You would be wrong on that. Why do you think that dictatorships and China are accused of human rights violations. The rights exist, they aren subjegated by government force, coercion.
    Because we have this fantasy governing body that creates this fantasy concept of human rights...a code...a set of definitions. Were it not so then they could not ACCUSE China of violating those human rights.

  10. #30
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No one can take your rights.
    Sigh...

    OK...I will accept your word.

    We all have these human rights...basic...decent rights...survival. Food. Water. Shelter. Safety.

    People in Rwanda are getting screwed. All the worlds starving...homeless people...thank goodness they ahve their 'rights' to all those things...

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •