View Poll Results: Are Rights Natural?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    27 40.30%
  • No.

    32 47.76%
  • Other.

    6 8.96%
  • Rootabega.

    16 23.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 352

Thread: Are Rights Natural?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Natural rights exist.

    Society is a necessary evil.

    Government exists to balance the two.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    When a right is within the means of the society, it may be natural to have it.

  3. #13
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Nope, rights are completely a social construct and have absolutely no meaning outside of social boundaries.
    Not sure I understand what this is suppose to mean.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #14
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Not sure I understand what this is suppose to mean.
    In other words he is saying we grant rights and therefore they aren't innate.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    In other words he is saying we grant rights and therefore they aren't innate.
    Okay thanks, I disagree in that case.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Nope, rights are completely a social construct and have absolutely no meaning outside of social boundaries.
    You are completely backwards on that. Laws are creations of the social construct, rights pre-exist society. Need proof? Other creatures on this planet do what they must to preserve their lives and comfort, when we domesticate them they become docile, but in the wild they do as they please, we as humans have differering desires individually , but share the common thread of desiring to fullfill needs and wants, we are born with the right to do so peacefully, until, that is, the wrong people create laws that artificially ban behaviors that those people don't like.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #17
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Doesnt the very word 'right' imply that the individual would 'have' these things?

    I think it is a sense of entitlement...the curse of affluence. We assume that people should have all these rights (disregarding that people had to fight and die to win those rights). But if it is a right...wouldnt it be something we all enjoy? Wouldnt it be something that no one could ever take from us?

    As an ideal...human/natural rights is a wonderful concept. That concpet assumes everyone is benevolent, moral, and motivated to provide for the greater good.

    yeeeeeeeeeeeah....ummmmmm....no....

  8. #18
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    You are completely backwards on that. Laws are creations of the social construct, rights pre-exist society. Need proof? Other creatures on this planet do what they must to preserve their lives and comfort, when we domesticate them they become docile, but in the wild they do as they please, we as humans have differering desires individually , but share the common thread of desiring to fullfill needs and wants, we are born with the right to do so peacefully, until, that is, the wrong people create laws that artificially ban behaviors that those people don't like.
    Wow. that is...just...so NOT reality.

  9. #19
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Natural rights exist.

    Society is a necessary evil.

    Government exists to balance the two.
    Natural rights...like...the right to food, clean water...shelter...

    damn there are sure a lot of people that got in the wrong line...

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are Rights Natural?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Natural rights...like...the right to food, clean water...shelter...

    damn there are sure a lot of people that got in the wrong line...
    You have a right to food, you just don't have a right to expect someone else to give it to you.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •