View Poll Results: Where did the Universe come from?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Big Bang, not sure what was before. God does not exist and was not involved.

    39 38.24%
  • Not the Big Bang, but some other physical event. God does not exist and was not involved.

    2 1.96%
  • God created the Universe without a Big Bang. Earth was especially created.

    2 1.96%
  • God created the Universe with a Big Bang and then the universe evolved.

    37 36.27%
  • Some other mechanism created the Universe, without God...

    13 12.75%
  • God created the Universe in some other fashion...

    9 8.82%
Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 385

Thread: Where did the Universe come from?

  1. #321
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib
    It is infinite and closed.
    ...

    It cannot be both infinite and finite.

    Here we go again.

    Since the first post I have stated that God cannot be proven or demonstrated. Yet God exists. How do I know? Faith.
    You might as well throw your brain in the trash, because you're certainly not using it anymore.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  2. #322
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Sure there is. Faith. It is valid.

    Since the first post I have stated that God cannot be proven or demonstrated. Yet God exists. How do I know? Faith.
    Faith is not a reason to believe in anything, nor can you say that you know something based on faith, epistemologically speaking.

    Else by that standard, everyone with faith in their mutually incompatible gods "knows" that they exist, and they cannot all logically exist. Its a terrible standard for knowledge that, if allowed, renders every alleged god, even the demonstrably false ones, "known."

    Faith is not a valid means to knowledge; logic, reason and evidence are.
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 03-29-10 at 06:07 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    ...

    It cannot be both infinite and finite.
    Closed does not mean finite. It merely means not interacting with anything outside of it.

    You might as well throw your brain in the trash, because you're certainly not using it anymore.
    Faith is not rational.

  4. #324
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Faith is not a reason to believe in anything, nor can you say that you know something based on faith, epistemologically speaking.
    Faith can give you knowledge.

    Else by that standard, everyone with faith in their mutually incompatible gods "knows" that they exist, and they cannot all logically exist. Its a terrible standard for knowledge that, if allowed, renders every alleged god, even the demonstrably false ones, "known."
    Who said all gods are mutually incompatible?

    Faith is not a valid means to knowledge; logic, reason and evidence are.
    Doch.

  5. #325
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It is infinite and closed.
    not even scientists claim this. No one knows.
    Its very telling that you claim to know. Apparently you know because you have faith that its true.


    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Sure there is. Faith. It is valid.
    so anyone who claims they know something due to faith is correct? Faith is never wrong?

    Like I said before, you obviously do not care whether what you believe is true. Otherwise you'd employ some method of confirmation or verification.
    Sorry, but faith isn't such a method.

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Since the first post I have stated that God cannot be proven or demonstrated. Yet God exists. How do I know? Faith.
    How does one "know" something by faith alone?

    If someone claims to know fairyies by faith does that make it true? Does that mean fairyies exist?
    If anything can be claimed to be known by faith then what use is faith?



    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    The universe is everything, but God is more.
    what "more" is he exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    No value to you, perhaps, but plenty of value to me.
    Apparently we value things much differently. I value truth. Apparently you do not.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  6. #326
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Faith can give you knowledge.
    For example? Because if its known to be true, it has to be logically valid, rational, based on demonstrably true premises or axioms, and without logical fallacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Who said all gods are mutually incompatible?
    Not I, where'd you get that from? The ones with contradictory claims and characteristics certainly are tho. Some gods can exist together, hypothetically speaking, like in polytheistic religions. But not between two competing polytheistic religions. Understand?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Doch.
    ?
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 03-29-10 at 06:20 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  7. #327
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Faith is not rational.
    Then why use it?

    Faith can give you knowledge.
    No it can't. A claim on something is not knowledge. I can state whatever I want and say I believe in it because of faith, but it gives me no new knowledge. In fact it gets me nowhere whatsoever.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    For example?
    When you have faith, you believe it to be true and that gives you knowledge. Granted, it is not verifiable. But there is truth in the imagination.



    The contradictory claims and characteristics of them do.
    That is merely superficial personality. At their core they are divine. The true God is without form. All religions offer a primitive version of the true God, although Vedanta and Islam come closest.


    ?
    Sorry. Doch is an interesting German word that negates a negative.

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Then why use it?
    It is a part of who you are. You are not a rational person.



    No it can't. A claim on something is not knowledge. I can state whatever I want and say I believe in it because of faith, but it gives me no new knowledge. In fact it gets me nowhere whatsoever.
    There is a difference between saying you have faith in something and actually having faith in something. Having faith in something brings you knowledge.

    It is like love. Loving someone brings you knowledge that they love you back. It is not rational.

  10. #330
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Verrrry interesting... It reveals just how many closet religious and overt science believers there are on this forum.

    ricksfolly

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •