View Poll Results: Where did the Universe come from?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • From the Big Bang, not sure what was before. God does not exist and was not involved.

    39 38.24%
  • Not the Big Bang, but some other physical event. God does not exist and was not involved.

    2 1.96%
  • God created the Universe without a Big Bang. Earth was especially created.

    2 1.96%
  • God created the Universe with a Big Bang and then the universe evolved.

    37 36.27%
  • Some other mechanism created the Universe, without God...

    13 12.75%
  • God created the Universe in some other fashion...

    9 8.82%
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 385

Thread: Where did the Universe come from?

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    04-03-10 @ 06:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    How is there a god if there was nothing? Something had to come from something, right? So any 'god/dess' would have to come from something? So if it created everything, then where did it come from?

    And if it has always existed, then the same could be said for energy in the universe. It just always existed.
    God Is a spirit...he doesnt have to have substance like we do and the universe does...

  2. #292
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    God Is a spirit...he doesnt have to have substance like we do and the universe does...
    1) What is spirit?

    2) Is there anyway to demonstrate that "spirit" exists as anything more than a concept in the one's mind?

    3) What is the difference between
    a) a substance that we have no evidence for or means of verifying exists
    and
    b) nothing
    Last edited by scourge99; 03-29-10 at 03:44 AM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  3. #293
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    A spirit is something you can't see or hear or detect and therefore you can't prove it doesn't exist, so it exists, but you can't see or hear or detect it. Simple logic.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    04-03-10 @ 06:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    1) What is spirit?

    2) Is there anyway to demonstrate that "spirit" exists as anything more than a concept in the one's mind?

    3) What is the difference between
    a) a substance that we have no evidence for or means of verifying exists
    and
    b) nothing
    A spirit is an entity without physical mass.
    There is no way to "PROVE" that a spirit exists...as well as there is no way for science to "PROVE" anything about how our universe was created...or first life..
    What is the difference between a substance...you mean like global warming ...we have no way of verifying that exists....yet alot of supposedly intelligent individuals believe it

  5. #295
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel
    There is no way to "PROVE" that a spirit exists...as well as there is no way for science to "PROVE" anything about how our universe was created...or first life..
    This is seriously your argument?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  6. #296
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    What is the difference between a substance...you mean like global warming ...we have no way of verifying that exists....yet alot of supposedly intelligent individuals believe it
    Really? You're comparing a scientific theory with spirituality?

  7. #297
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    God Is a spirit...he doesnt have to have substance like we do and the universe does...
    Let's just assume your assumption is correct.

    Is 'he' something or is 'he' nothing?

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Let's just assume your assumption is correct.

    Is 'he' something or is 'he' nothing?
    God is not something. God is not nothing. God is spirit and underlies the entire universe. Everything in the universe is a part of God. God is in everything. God is found in the smallest and in the largest.

    It is a matter of belief. There is no evidence for it.

  9. #299
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Several interesting discussions have led me to do a poll, asking this important question. After voting, leave a comment on how you voted and what led you to think this way.
    I can't honestly say any of your options fits for me.

    I lean towards String Theory (actually M Theory, but most haven't heard of it) for the Micro and Multiverses for the Macro. Neither of which require magic superbeings.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where did the Universe come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    I can't honestly say any of your options fits for me.

    I lean towards String Theory (actually M Theory, but most haven't heard of it) for the Micro and Multiverses for the Macro. Neither of which require magic superbeings.
    But M Theory (11 dimensional space-time, 7 dimensions closed) and Multiverses don't exclude or preclude the existence of God, either. There is room for both. One is spiritual and the others are astrophysical.

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •