View Poll Results: I have a "right" to...

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Health care

    30 26.79%
  • Food

    35 31.25%
  • Water

    39 34.82%
  • Other people's wealth

    7 6.25%
  • A job

    17 15.18%
  • A minimum or "living" wage

    30 26.79%
  • None of the above

    61 54.46%
  • Other

    26 23.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 349

Thread: I have a "right" to...

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    09-25-10 @ 02:45 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    74

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwa View Post
    water makes me happy so its a double win. but rights are extended to however far the person can get.
    It is really up to your intellect, diligence, perseverance and resilience. I stress these synonyms. McDonalds charges for water, they sure are fueling soda water no? I guess even businesses have a right to charge their property..

  2. #252
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Ok... and why would such a thing make you unhappy and/or dissatisfied?
    For whatever particular reasons I personally find valid. I might be unhappy if I go out to eat and find they're out of prime rib. That doesn't mean I think I have a right to prime rib.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #253
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Why?
    Because of my personal dislike for being forced to do anything.

    Here is what the Constitution said about "rights" regarding slavery:

    "The Constitution and Slavery:
    Provisions in the Original Constitution
    Article I, Section. 2 [Slaves count as 3/5 persons]
    Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons [i.e., slaves].

    Article I, Section. 9, clause 1. [No power to ban slavery until 1808]
    The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

    Article IV, Section. 2. [Free states cannot protect slaves]
    No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.
    Article V [No Constitutional Amendment to Ban Slavery Until 1808]
    ...No Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article."

    The Thirteenth Amendment: Slavery and the Constitution

    Are these unalienable "rights," or just horse hockey we made up?

    Just because something was written in the Constitution doesn't provide it with some kind of ultimate word in the matter.

    Its just stuff we made up!
    Last edited by Catawba; 03-05-10 at 04:47 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #254
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    For whatever particular reasons I personally find valid.
    Which are...?

  5. #255
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Because of my personal dislike for being forced to do anything.
    And you should not be forced to do anything, because...?

  6. #256
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And you should not be forced to do anything, because...?
    I don't like it, a personal preference of mine.

    See my edit above on the rights of Slaves in the Constitution.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #257
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I don't like it, a personal preference of mine.
    And that creates a sound argument to that effect.... how?
    Why do you think that you should get to do what you want to do?
    Last edited by Goobieman; 03-05-10 at 05:15 PM.

  8. #258
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And that creates a sound argument to that effect.... how?
    Why do you think that you should get to do what you want to do?
    I don't. Its just my preference.

    What kind of unalienable rights did the slaves enjoy? The "right" to be 3/5 a person?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #259
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I don't. Its just my preference.
    Your awnser is self-negating.
    You say you think you should not have to do what you do not want to do, but that you dont have a reason for it -- and then you cite a reason.

    How does your 'preference' here create a sound argument?

    What you wont admit to me, but are certainly saying to yourself, is that you have the right to do what you want to do, and to not do what you do not want to do.

  10. #260
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: I have a "right" to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Your awnser is self-negating.
    You say you think you should not have to do what you do not want to do, but that you dont have a reason for it -- and then you cite a reason.
    No, that is what you said. If you are going to make up what I believe, you can also make up a reason to cite for it.

    And for the second time you have avoided answering my questions regarding the "rights" of slaves.

    Kind of blows your whole theory of the Constitution being made up of unalienable rights doesn't it?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •