View Poll Results: What does homework do?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • It reinforces the lesson

    51 63.75%
  • It teaches responsibility

    35 43.75%
  • It prepares us for real life

    21 26.25%
  • It does even more ...

    16 20.00%
  • It does NONE of these things

    21 26.25%
  • Other (explain)

    10 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 137

Thread: What Does Homework Do?

  1. #51
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    I have to ask, how many people have you had to supervise? The ideal is someone who's smart and hardworking, but if they are both smart and hardworking, often time they become the boss. As a supervisor, I prefer people who do the work I set them even if I have to tell them in details how each should be done before hand, rather than people who see that things need to be done but can't be bothered to lift their hands unless I was there to oversee them. A "lazy genius" (an oxymoron to me) is a useless person. Try naming a few genius who achieve great things without lifting a hand to do works most people would consider hard (I think conducting thousands of experiments just to get a filament is hard).
    I consider lifting weights to be hard work, but there are a lot of people who enjoy it. It would be silly to try to make me an athlete or Mike Tyson a scientist. What one person considers hard work is another person's enjoyable hobby. If you put that lazy genius into what he is interested in you will reap the benefits. Not everyone lives up to their potential, but that makes them underutilized, not useless.

    The lazy genius janitor might not keep the windows as clean on a daily basis, but when the and the building catches on fire or something, they have the potential to understand the situation and respond effectively.
    That's not true. Science and advance Maths can be very useful in everyday life if only people are aware enough to employ them. Like understanding the dynamics of forces, how weathers are formed etc Understanding algebra makes decisions much easier, you can use it when you go grocery shopping - comparing prices and planning your budget etc. So it's a "waste of time" because people don't apply them, not because they are useless.

    School teach all these things because they have general practicalities, and it's not certain in the future what each students will do. By narrowing the education early, you take away their choices in the future.
    You also give them a huge head start in what they are good at or interested in. Being good at one thing is what matters in the real world. These subjects do not have general practicalities. Sure, you can use your knowledge of gerunds while twittering or your calculus skills at the grocery store, but they aren't necessary. Very few jobs require both higher math and knowledge of literature. It is a waste of time to teach both to someone who is only good at or interested in one.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  2. #52
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    I consider lifting weights to be hard work, but there are a lot of people who enjoy it. It would be silly to try to make me an athlete or Mike Tyson a scientist. What one person considers hard work is another person's enjoyable hobby.
    Right. So homework could be hardwork or enjoyable work depending on the people. For those who enjoy it (and I maintain we enjoy the things we excel at) they would still do it though they already know it. For those who don't enjoy it and most likely not having mastered it because they dislike it, it forces them to learn the lessons as homework are supposed to do.

    If you put that lazy genius into what he is interested in you will reap the benefits. Not everyone lives up to their potential, but that makes them underutilized, not useless.
    People utilize themselves. Smart people at least. When the person is not achieving anything despite being a "genius", that person is being useless.


    The lazy genius janitor might not keep the windows as clean on a daily basis, but when the and the building catches on fire or something, they have the potential to understand the situation and respond effectively.

    So let me ask you, do you hire the stupid one who keeps thing clean everyday, or the lazy one on the tiny chance that the building might catch fire?


    You also give them a huge head start in what they are good at or interested in. Being good at one thing is what matters in the real world. These subjects do not have general practicalities. Sure, you can use your knowledge of gerunds while twittering or your calculus skills at the grocery store, but they aren't necessary. Very few jobs require both higher math and knowledge of literature. It is a waste of time to teach both to someone who is only good at or interested in one.

    A lot of things in life aren't "necessary" but it doesn't mean we are not better off for having them.

    How do you know what a child will grow up to be? Whether he will work in business or become a writer? I wanted to become a photo-journalist when I was young. I shudder to think of what I would be like if I were to just take photography lessons only and nothing else. I think I'm a better person for having dipped into Literature, Math, Science and arts. I think people who are one-dimensional are boring people.

    And I don't know how long you have been working, but "in the real world", being able to do just one thing well will not get you along. You can become an expert at one thing, but you need to be able to manage other tasks/skills as well. I may be good at Maths, but I have to be able to write and communicate well with words too. In fact, the basics of all the subjects I learned before college is even more relevant to my general life and my interactions with others than the very specific finance subjects that I learned in college.

  3. #53
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    What about that are you wondering about?

    Since the quizzes would ideally be topic specific, a pass or a fail would dictate whether the student sufficiently understood the material. For example, if there are say 5 questions, they would only be able to get 2 of those wrong before failing the quiz. Anything below a 70% is a fail in this case.
    They would only be able to get one wrong before failing the quiz. 2 wrong would be 60% and it would be failing.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #54
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    They would only be able to get one wrong before failing the quiz. 2 wrong would be 60% and it would be failing.
    Someone needs to do their Maths homework more regularly.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    But even if it were true, it is not necessary for the vast majority of people to take the time to understand subjects not related to their interests or career.
    Well if you want to be smart you do. People can think "oh I don't need calculus" and then can't do something as simple as compound interest when filling out contracts to buy a house or a car or something. If only they paid attention. People who typically say "oh well I don't need...." have no idea what they're talking about. They don't know if they could use it because they don't know the subject. They're not interested in expanding their horizons or living up to human potential because they are happy as a cog. Fine, but I also don't think we need to listen to these lazy idiots when it comes to making high school more academically rigorous like it should be.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #56
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    That's not true. Science and advance Maths can be very useful in everyday life if only people are aware enough to employ them. Like understanding the dynamics of forces, how weathers are formed etc Understanding algebra makes decisions much easier, you can use it when you go grocery shopping - comparing prices and planning your budget etc. So it's a "waste of time" because people don't apply them, not because they are useless.

    School teach all these things because they have general practicalities, and it's not certain in the future what each students will do. By narrowing the education early, you take away their choices in the future.
    Precisely! Well I guess you can count yourself in the seemingly few that understand that concept.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #57
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Someone needs to do their Maths homework more regularly.
    it aint tucker, he may be lacking in some areas, but he's right with his maths

    you get 2 questions wrong out of 5, and you score 60%
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #58
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    it aint tucker, he may be lacking in some areas, but he's right with his maths

    you get 2 questions wrong out of 5, and you score 60%
    Just to clear up, the "someone" refers to repeter.

  9. #59
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Just to clear up, the "someone" refers to repeter.
    oh, my bad
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  10. #60
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well if you want to be smart you do. People can think "oh I don't need calculus" and then can't do something as simple as compound interest when filling out contracts to buy a house or a car or something. If only they paid attention. People who typically say "oh well I don't need...." have no idea what they're talking about. They don't know if they could use it because they don't know the subject. They're not interested in expanding their horizons or living up to human potential because they are happy as a cog. Fine, but I also don't think we need to listen to these lazy idiots when it comes to making high school more academically rigorous like it should be.
    I don't think that is true at all. I'm not saying to take it to the extremes of an idiot savant, but Rain Man was a genius. An average mathematician who also knows his state capitals might be smarter than a brilliant one who cannot tie his own shoes, but that is why we make velcro. It is the brilliant one who is going to lead to breakthroughs and discoveries. Being good at everything means you are great at nothing. Human potential needs to be focused.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Right. So homework could be hardwork or enjoyable work depending on the people. For those who enjoy it (and I maintain we enjoy the things we excel at) they would still do it though they already know it. For those who don't enjoy it and most likely not having mastered it because they dislike it, it forces them to learn the lessons as homework are supposed to do.
    This makes no sense at all. People don't generally enjoy repeatedly doing things that are easy for them over and over again. Homework is annoying to people who are quick learners, not fun. People enjoy challenging themselves at things they are good at, not endlessly practicing basic skills.

    People utilize themselves. Smart people at least. When the person is not achieving anything despite being a "genius", that person is being useless.

    So let me ask you, do you hire the stupid one who keeps thing clean everyday, or the lazy one on the tiny chance that the building might catch fire?
    I already said I would take the lazy genius any day. Being smart and being motivated are two different things. It's like you're saying a tool is useless if you aren't ready to use it yet. A lack of past accomplishments doesn't affect a person's potential.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •