View Poll Results: What does homework do?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • It reinforces the lesson

    51 63.75%
  • It teaches responsibility

    35 43.75%
  • It prepares us for real life

    21 26.25%
  • It does even more ...

    16 20.00%
  • It does NONE of these things

    21 26.25%
  • Other (explain)

    10 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 137

Thread: What Does Homework Do?

  1. #121
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Algebra and numerical analysis are two different things though. I honestly can't see what's hard about any form of algebra. It usually comes down to just moving things in an equation around. Or in linear algebra, simply setting up a matrix. I think most people can get through University algebra if they apply themselves well enough. It may be harder for some than others, but at the same accord it's not so tough as to completely leave everyone behind.
    I used to think like that because, like you, math has always been very easy for me.

    But I've tutored some people that made me believe that, for some, math is outrageously difficult. They put in a ton of effort but don't seem to grasp it.

    I have to spend most of the tutoring time trying to approach the problems from different angles and through analogies just to get them to teh point where they can pass.

    The thing is, in other pursuits these were often very intelligent people. Tehy just had a blind spot when it came to math.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #122
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I used to think like that because, like you, math has always been very easy for me.

    But I've tutored some people that made me believe that, for some, math is outrageously difficult. They put in a ton of effort but don't seem to grasp it.

    I have to spend most of the tutoring time trying to approach the problems from different angles and through analogies just to get them to teh point where they can pass.

    The thing is, in other pursuits these were often very intelligent people. Tehy just had a blind spot when it came to math.
    Numbers are awesome. The way they interact is simply beautiful and quite gratifying, its one of the reasons I went into IT.

  3. #123
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Numbers are awesome. The way they interact is simply beautiful, its one of the reasons I went into IT.
    I love numbers too, but for some people they are the devil.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #124
    Advisor Iwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Illinois. I wish i lived in a Socialist country.
    Last Seen
    04-25-11 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    443

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I love numbers too, but for some people they are the devil.
    i f***** the number 8 in both holes
    It's not rape if you scream "SURPRISE" first.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I used to think like that because, like you, math has always been very easy for me.

    But I've tutored some people that made me believe that, for some, math is outrageously difficult. They put in a ton of effort but don't seem to grasp it.

    I have to spend most of the tutoring time trying to approach the problems from different angles and through analogies just to get them to teh point where they can pass.

    The thing is, in other pursuits these were often very intelligent people. Tehy just had a blind spot when it came to math.
    I've tutored people who made me believe that for some, thinking is outrageous difficult. Nothing more infuriating than doing 4-5 problems for someone over the same damned thing, and then they still can't understand the concept. One girl I tutored before a physics test did just that. Didn't understand problems with constant acceleration/deceleration. So I work a problem with her for a car starting from rest accelerating at constant a. Ok, she says she gets it. She then asked me to do a problem with a car starting at some velocity v and decelerating at some constant -a. It's the same damned problem, same damned equation. I do it for her. She claimed she understood, then asked me to work another constant acceleration problem. I finally told her after a few more rounds of this that she's probably going to fail the test because if she can't understand this now, she's not going to understand it 2 hours from now when she has to take a test.

    Undergrads certainly have a way of making humanity look worse than it really is. But I don't think it's really true of the whole, I think I've just experienced part of the tail end of the distribution is all.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #126
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I've tutored people who made me believe that for some, thinking is outrageous difficult. Nothing more infuriating than doing 4-5 problems for someone over the same damned thing, and then they still can't understand the concept. One girl I tutored before a physics test did just that. Didn't understand problems with constant acceleration/deceleration. So I work a problem with her for a car starting from rest accelerating at constant a. Ok, she says she gets it. She then asked me to do a problem with a car starting at some velocity v and decelerating at some constant -a. It's the same damned problem, same damned equation. I do it for her. She claimed she understood, then asked me to work another constant acceleration problem. I finally told her after a few more rounds of this that she's probably going to fail the test because if she can't understand this now, she's not going to understand it 2 hours from now when she has to take a test.

    Undergrads certainly have a way of making humanity look worse than it really is. But I don't think it's really true of the whole, I think I've just experienced part of the tail end of the distribution is all.
    Yep, that's what I'm talking about. She may very well be an excellent poet or some such, but clearly physics wasn't her bag.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #127
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Well, I think what happens what happens is we get caught up in our field, we love it, and we have a hard time figuring out why someone cannot remember, cannot grasp a concept, etc. With history, I may have the feeling that history is easy, that writing essays on it are difficult, but possible to do well, all the same. The fact of the matter is, I will be teaching people who will not be able to enter the mind of a historian on any plane, and it will be my job to try to help them grow into the subject area.

    Being on the receiving end of not understanding is incredibly frustrating. Every school year, I spent hours, hours a day and night, trying to understand mathematics. It just was not happening. There is nothing like spending hours on end trying to do something that most children seem to be doing just fine.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #128
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

    This makes no sense at all. People don't generally enjoy repeatedly doing things that are easy for them over and over again. Homework is annoying to people who are quick learners, not fun. People enjoy challenging themselves at things they are good at, not endlessly practicing basic skills.
    So what was Edison doing repeating the same thing again and again to try to find the right filament? Because he likes it he doesn't consider what he does as "repeatedly doing things that are easy for them over and over again". It's the same of people who do embroidery or any type of hobby basically. You are coming from the assumption that homework must be "endlessly practicing basic skills", but that's not true. Good homework can challenge the person, and when the person enjoy them, it's fun even if it's considered repetitive to others.

    I already said I would take the lazy genius any day. Being smart and being motivated are two different things. It's like you're saying a tool is useless if you aren't ready to use it yet. A lack of past accomplishments doesn't affect a person's potential.
    Yes, I'm saying a tool is useless if it ain't never used. A lack of past accomplishments speaks to how productive the person is as a person. Potential is nothing if it's never realised.

  9. #129
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think there is weight to the knowledge. Knowing something rarely causes more harm than good. Less you're an Al-Queda operative captured by the CIA...and even then if you don't know anything you'd probably reap the same repercussions as if you did.
    Of course learning isn't a bad thing. But you're missing the point. Instead of spending years learning calculus or history you could be learning something actually related to your interests and talents. Someone like you who has two majors and three minors obviously has a lot of interests. You're not the typical student. The typical student wants to be a doctor or a lawyer and has to suffer through calculus to do it. Has anyone ever died because their doctor couldn't finance a mortgage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    High school seniors should be have to demonstrate proficiency in English before graduating.
    I agree with that, except I am sure we have very different ideas of what "proficiency" means. If they can read, write, and speak enough to communicate then they pass. There is no reason for them to ever learn what a gerund is, or memorize prepositions, or be able to distinguish between "who" and "whom". When nonpariel says "ain't never" ↓ down there I know what they mean, it doesn't matter that it is improper grammar. I know that using "they" to refer to someone of unknown gender is wrong, but it sounds a lot better than "he or she" to me, so who cares? These things are not important.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Algebra and numerical analysis are two different things though. I honestly can't see what's hard about any form of algebra. It usually comes down to just moving things in an equation around. Or in linear algebra, simply setting up a matrix. I think most people can get through University algebra if they apply themselves well enough. It may be harder for some than others, but at the same accord it's not so tough as to completely leave everyone behind.
    Even if it is true that most people are capable of learning advanced algebra, why should they go through the effort? What good does it do them? It is a huge waste of time for the vast majority of humanity.

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    So what was Edison doing repeating the same thing again and again to try to find the right filament? Because he likes it he doesn't consider what he does as "repeatedly doing things that are easy for them over and over again". It's the same of people who do embroidery or any type of hobby basically. You are coming from the assumption that homework must be "endlessly practicing basic skills", but that's not true. Good homework can challenge the person, and when the person enjoy them, it's fun even if it's considered repetitive to others.
    You and I are not talking about the same thing. Homework can be challenging if you are taking a class on chess or Sudoku, but what I remember about homework was not fun at all. It was endlessly practicing basic skills, or reading books I didn't like, or memorizing useless lists. Maybe the Fairfax County Public School system was doing something wrong, I don't know.

    Yes, I'm saying a tool is useless if it ain't never used. A lack of past accomplishments speaks to how productive the person is as a person. Potential is nothing if it's never realised.
    A bomb has the same potential energy whether you set it off or not. It can be used for good or for evil or never used at all. That doesn't change what it is. Accomplishments are all meaningless when you get down to it anyways. In a few million years the sun is going to explode, and all life as we know it will probably cease to exist long before that. Neither the genius nor the idiot can change this. But in the meantime, a genius has the potential to do a lot more than an idiot, and that makes them more valuable.
    Last edited by Tsunami; 03-04-10 at 05:15 AM.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Brought up by Gargantuan in this thread.



    I'm a recent high school grad, and I gotta say that only in the last 3 three years of my public school life did my homework actually make me a more knowledgeable and productive human being. Other than that, its mostly just busy work.

    What do you think?

    [Sorry if this is already a poll, feel free to delete or move this thread.]
    1. If you have younger siblings, you can see one result of keeping you busy with homework. If you were like most of us, this was a humane alternative to having your parents sell you to the circus.

    2. You accomplished little with most of your homework, because modern public education (I assume that you were a victim of the public schools,) exists primarily to produce submissive and pacified drones. Useful homework is incompatible with this goal.
    Last edited by Oftencold; 03-04-10 at 05:45 AM.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •