View Poll Results: What does homework do?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • It reinforces the lesson

    51 63.75%
  • It teaches responsibility

    35 43.75%
  • It prepares us for real life

    21 26.25%
  • It does even more ...

    16 20.00%
  • It does NONE of these things

    21 26.25%
  • Other (explain)

    10 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 137

Thread: What Does Homework Do?

  1. #101
    Advisor Iwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Illinois. I wish i lived in a Socialist country.
    Last Seen
    04-25-11 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    443

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    In my head, I figured this one.
    12X = 8 * 21
    But I never took calculus in high school and wish I had..
    Its a confidence thing, I never had the necessary ton of confidence..
    And confidence can be a fleeting, etheral thing.
    As a cop out, I think the way calc was explained , the reason for it, was not so good.
    Much like the Dems trying to explain health care reform to our people.
    calculus isnt needed to be explained right if its not needed to be explained at all. and i like free healthcare so im all for trying to change a few things, just not they way they are.
    It's not rape if you scream "SURPRISE" first.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwa View Post
    calculus is a bunch of bs. no one uses that unless their a mathematician.
    Not true at all. In school few know what they are going to end up as, and many switch professions.
    Too little education is not good.
    And everyone uses English, either good or poor English..

  3. #103
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    And everyone uses English, either good or poor English..
    I believe texting is working on this one.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #104
    Advisor Iwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Illinois. I wish i lived in a Socialist country.
    Last Seen
    04-25-11 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    443

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    [QUOTE=earthworm;1058598012]Not true at all. In school few know what they are going to end up as, and many switch professions.
    Too little education is not good.
    And everyone uses English, either good or poor English..[/QUOTE]

    since when did english come in on this? lawls
    It's not rape if you scream "SURPRISE" first.

  5. #105
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    People are more than free to avoid coursework, but then they should forgo the receipt they get at the end of college which says that you've satisfied all the requirements of the degree.
    History is not required for a degree in physics. It may be arbitrarily added to the "requirements", but the point is that this addition is arbitrary and degrades the idea of requirements to include unrequired courses.

    The reason they make certain courses required is merely to increase costs under the guise of giving a more rounded education.

    Like I said, I learned more on my own about history than anything I ever learned in a college history course.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwa View Post
    since when did english come in on this? lawls
    High school seniors should be have to demonstrate proficiency in English before graduating.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #107
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    History is not required for a degree in physics. It may be arbitrarily added to the "requirements", but the point is that this addition is arbitrary and degrades the idea of requirements to include unrequired courses.

    The reason they make certain courses required is merely to increase costs under the guise of giving a more rounded education.

    Like I said, I learned more on my own about history than anything I ever learned in a college history course.
    I had to take some history as an undergrad. Will I use history? Not in my professional life most likely. But it's good to know and I can use it in my daily life.

    I believe that we need to start understanding the distinctions between higher education institutions.

    University: The most academically rigorous and well rounded of all the higher education institutions. You should be expected to take classes on a wide variety of subjects, even those outside your major(s)

    College: Less academically rigorous than University. Still a 4 year institution, with more focus on courses from the major and less emphasis/requirement on taking courses outside the major.

    Jr. College: ~2 year institution with narrow focus. Classes outside the major (and outside supporting classes for the major) wouldn't be required

    Tech School: Very specialized and focuses on learning a trade. Only education requirements would focus on learning necessary material for the trade itself.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwa View Post
    calculus isnt needed to be explained right if its not needed to be explained at all. and i like free healthcare so im all for trying to change a few things, just not they way they are.
    Obviously, English and communication skills are poorly taught. In high school, Calculus was a new concept(to me) and it was not well presented - this a another important skill, IMO, using psychology..
    My school was excellent, but I was rather dense at times...easy to say now, but not then..

  9. #109
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I had to take some history as an undergrad. Will I use history? Not in my professional life most likely. But it's good to know and I can use it in my daily life.

    I believe that we need to start understanding the distinctions between higher education institutions.

    University: The most academically rigorous and well rounded of all the higher education institutions. You should be expected to take classes on a wide variety of subjects, even those outside your major(s)

    College: Less academically rigorous than University. Still a 4 year institution, with more focus on courses from the major and less emphasis/requirement on taking courses outside the major.

    Jr. College: ~2 year institution with narrow focus. Classes outside the major (and outside supporting classes for the major) wouldn't be required

    Tech School: Very specialized and focuses on learning a trade. Only education requirements would focus on learning necessary material for the trade itself.
    Then let me change my previous post to suit:

    History is not required for a degree in physics. It may be arbitrarily added to the "requirements", but the point is that this addition is arbitrary and degrades the idea of requirements to include unrequired courses.

    The reason they make certain courses required is merely to increase costs under the guise of giving a more rounded education.

    Like I said, I learned more on my own about history than anything I ever learned in a University history course.
    Still the same truth. I was able to learn more about most subjects outside of University.

    In fact, many of the courses I've had to take were pointless as I had already learned the material on my own previously outside of a school setting.

    For example, right now, in grad school, I have to take a stats course. It's "required" for my degree.

    But it's bull****. I tutored stats in my undergrad and I'm tutoring this course now. I didn't buy the book and I only show up for class so that I can be marked "present" due to a program-wide attendance policy, but I spend that time reading a book in the back of the room. Perfect score on the midterm last week.

    Why do I have to take this course?

    Because it's required.

    Yeah, required so they can suck another G out of me for tuition.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Does Homework Do?

    It is entirely possible to learn quite a bit without taking a course. But at the same accord, you are typically allowed opportunity to test out of a course and if you succeed you get credit for the course without having taken it. Otherwise, the University will need some documentation that you've met the requirements and that will come either by testing out or by taking the class. You can learn all you want outside of University, but you shouldn't expect a University degree for having done so.

    I did this myself. I added Chemistry as a second major (I had 2 majors and 3 minors...that's all the space they had on the form) later in my college career. Instead of taking the first year chemistry course, which I knew well from my 2 years of chemistry in high school, I tested out of the first year. I got credit for the class and was able to jump into the higher chemistry courses. I wasn't charged for testing out, there were forms, the University accepted it readily.

    Also, to avoid paying money in grad school, major in Physics, Chemistry, or Math (this may be true for biology too, but I don't know off hand). You get paid to go to grad school then.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •