View Poll Results: Well, were we?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 9.52%
  • No

    57 90.48%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 170

Thread: Were we better off before industrialization?

  1. #141
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    rape
    1   /reɪp/ Show Spelled [reyp] Show IPA noun, verb,raped, rap·ing.
    –noun
    1. the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
    2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
    3. statutory rape.
    4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
    5. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.


    Maybe you should learn the language before you make yourself look foolish.
    And mutually agreed upon trade can be twisted to fit any of these definitions how? Violent seisure? How is offering someone something that is less crappy than what they have violent seizure?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    You're just another con who thinks taking advantage of someone for personal gain is acceptable. Thanks Reagan!!
    It's acceptable if both parties agree to it. You have no right to stop them. They're poor, not children

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Too protect American jobs. You're not too swift on this stuff are you?
    And globalization hasn't had much of an impact on US employment. You say that you're 64. You sure make a lot of personal attacks for a 64 year old

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    obviously they do.
    Are they too stupid to rise up? Many are able to get off of minnimum wage quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Do you have some source for that?
    As a matter of fact it stays pretty stable throughout the 1990s. It only shoots up after the dot.com bubble burst, and the real estate bust.

    http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images...yment-rate.gif
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    If they agree to it, why not. You still haven't stated why it's any of your business to stop the mutually agreed upon trade.



    So you taking a raise is slavery? So you paying for something is slavery? You get taken advantage of every day. Your comparisons to actual slavery devalue what actual slavery is.



    And if you take away the second option, what do they have left?!



    You're begging the question. Why do we have this standard, because it's the standard. Again, you still haven't answered my question as to why it's any of your business if an employer agrees with me to pay me less than $7.25 an hour.
    I see no point in continuing this discussion with you because we have a fundamental disagreement.
    You look at the value of the minimum wage and a worker from a purely profit based position.
    I look at the value of the minimum wage and the worker from a societal based position.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Do you have a relevant counter-point to my argument, or is inane blathering the only thing you're capable of?
    I stated it but you'd rather be obnoxious than have reasonable discourse.

    While harming other families.
    What other families? Minority families? No, it helps them.

    Once again, empirical literature shows that minimum wage laws hurt the people they are intended to help, namely minorities and teens.
    Empirical eh? That sounds very scientific... I guess I better believe you because you made it sound scientific.
    Don't you really mean, a think tank/economist created their opinion and put it on paper?

    It's simple supply and demand. A minimum wage acts as a binding price floor, which results in a surplus of labor (unemployment). A person with no skills or education is therefore excluded from the labor market because the equilibrium price of their labor is below the price floor.
    Your specious premise doesn't take into account external forces and presumes labor is nothing more than any piece of machinery. In the real world, these are people.

    Oh yes, I'm sure there are millions of Americans clamoring for minimum wage jobs where they sew clothing...
    With unemployment at 9.7 percent, you'd be right.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I stated it but you'd rather be obnoxious than have reasonable discourse.
    Well, let's see, I informed you that the only reason companies hire people in underdeveloped nations is because they are a cheap source of labor. Then I informed you that artificially increasing their wages (which you never explained how to effectuate) would remove the incentive to hire such workers, which would force children into prostitution or starvation, which the studies show to be true. You proceeded to bloviate and rant about evil corporations, failing to address a single point I made.

    What other families? Minority families? No, it helps them.

    Empirical eh? That sounds very scientific... I guess I better believe you because you made it sound scientific.
    Don't you really mean, a think tank/economist created their opinion and put it on paper?
    No, I mean hundreds of peer-reviewed studies have found that the minimum wage increases unemployment, mostly amongst minorities and teens.

    50 Years of Research on the Minimum Wage

    Your specious premise doesn't take into account external forces and presumes labor is nothing more than any piece of machinery. In the real world, these are people.
    You can blather all you want, but nothing will alter the basic dynamics of supply and demand. A minimum wage acts as a binding price floor which results in a surplus of labor.



    Pf = Price Floor, Pe = Equilibrium Price, Qd = Quantity Demanded, Qe = Equilibrium Quantity, Qs = Quantity Supplied.

    But maybe you're right - maybe every economist in history is just totally mistaken...

    With unemployment at 9.7 percent, you'd be right.
    Highly doubtful. Most Americans do not want low-paying and tedious manufacturing jobs. Children in third-world countries need those jobs more than the average American, anyway, but you'd rather see them forced into prostitution or starvation.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Did we really work harder in the preindustrial era? Farming is hard work but you only do it part of the year.


    Farming is 7/24/365.
    And its very hard work.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Did we really work harder in the preindustrial era? Farming is hard work but you only do it part of the year.


    Farming is 7/24/365.
    And its very hard work.
    No, it's not 24/7365. Yes it is hard work.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Well, let's see, I informed you that the only reason companies hire people in underdeveloped nations is because they are a cheap source of labor. Then I informed you that artificially increasing their wages (which you never explained how to effectuate) would remove the incentive to hire such workers, which would force children into prostitution or starvation, which the studies show to be true. You proceeded to bloviate and rant about evil corporations, failing to address a single point I made.



    No, I mean hundreds of peer-reviewed studies have found that the minimum wage increases unemployment, mostly amongst minorities and teens.

    50 Years of Research on the Minimum Wage



    You can blather all you want, but nothing will alter the basic dynamics of supply and demand. A minimum wage acts as a binding price floor which results in a surplus of labor.



    Pf = Price Floor, Pe = Equilibrium Price, Qd = Quantity Demanded, Qe = Equilibrium Quantity, Qs = Quantity Supplied.

    But maybe you're right - maybe every economist in history is just totally mistaken...



    Highly doubtful. Most Americans do not want low-paying and tedious manufacturing jobs. Children in third-world countries need those jobs more than the average American, anyway, but you'd rather see them forced into prostitution or starvation.
    OK, after further study on the subject I'll concede that to your point on the minimum wage here in the USA.

  8. #148
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    [QUOTE=sazerac;1058595474]

    I've always felt lucky like we are alive during the greatest time to be alive on Earth. That we are at the pinacle of the best of times. >>

    Back in the early fifties, I heard people say the same thing about TVs. Probably said it back in the twenties about radios too.

    ricksfolly

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    [quote=ricksfolly;1058619148]
    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post

    I've always felt lucky like we are alive during the greatest time to be alive on Earth. That we are at the pinacle of the best of times. >>

    Back in the early fifties, I heard people say the same thing about TVs. Probably said it back in the twenties about radios too.

    ricksfolly
    They'll probably say it in the year 2059 about ______.
    They won't be able to fathom how we ever lived without it, how we could've been happy without it, what we did for entertainment before it was invented.

    Before there was television, people spent a lot of their leisure time watching the sky.
    They lay around in the grass and watched for cloud pictures.
    They stared up at the stars at night and tried to find the constellations.
    They were more connected to the weather, and to the natural world.

    When I was a kid- up until I was about eight or nine, maybe- I spent a lot of time watching the clouds. Watching the stars. Digging holes. Looking at bugs. Stuff like that. Swimming in the lake. I only came inside to sleep.
    Although more sophisticated entertainments were available, I usually wasn't very interested in them.
    I was never bored.

    At some point, I got turned on to all these things- music, television, books, internet- and now, like everyone else, I can't fathom living without any of it.

    But I think I was happier before. It was more peaceful.
    I used to lose track of time- and of myself- when I was playing outside, in a way I never do when I'm watching tv or playing on the computer.

    I don't necessarily feel sorry for people that lived a long time ago.
    They had comforts and entertainment and occasional leisure time, just as we do. And maybe they enjoyed their lives more than we do. Maybe the pace was slower, and the years didn't fly by so fast.
    Medical advances have helped us cure many diseases, but our average lifespan isn't much longer than that of people who lived before the advent of antibiotics, and immunizations, and chemo and radiation, and open heart surgery.
    I can't point to any one thing and say, "Our quality of life is so much better now", because I'm not sure that's true.
    Certainly socially it's better for some people: women, minorities, the handicapped.
    I think it might be worse for the elderly.

    In the old days, a lot of babies and children died of disease, and they don't now, so that's one thing we can definitely say has improved.

    I don't know, it's a tough call.
    Maybe some things are better and some things aren't.

  10. #150
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I see no point in continuing this discussion with you because we have a fundamental disagreement.
    You look at the value of the minimum wage and a worker from a purely profit based position.
    I look at the value of the minimum wage and the worker from a societal based position.
    No, I look at it as an agreement between a worker and an employer. It would be none of my business to prevent the transaction from taking place if both parties agree to it, even if it's $0.01 an hour.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •