View Poll Results: Well, were we?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 9.52%
  • No

    57 90.48%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 170

Thread: Were we better off before industrialization?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    For some inexplicable reason, the Lefties think that when they force a company to raise wages at gun point that the company won't adjust the number of employees downwards until their wage expenses are close to what they were before the Lefties interfered.

    Companies facing higer wage expenses cut back on non-regulated compensation, they cut back on number of employees, number of hours worked, shift employees from full-time to part-time, allow their workforce to dimish via attrition, automate to remove workers, simply don't hire new employees.

    You'd figure after a hundred plus years of watching government screw up economies in Europe and the Americas that the Left would see the idiocy of their ways.

    But they don't.
    Believe me, I don't disagree that the minimum wage is imperfect but if there has to be imperfection I'd rather tip the scale in the poor man's direction. I'm funny like that, caring and all. Rich guys will be just fine but poor people rarely get to "fine". *shrug* it's the price you pay to live a decent life and marvel at the nutbags around you.

  2. #92
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Getting paid a decent wage is better than slave labor.
    You don't know what slave labor is.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  3. #93
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Believe me, I don't disagree that the minimum wage is imperfect but if there has to be imperfection I'd rather tip the scale in the poor man's direction. I'm funny like that, caring and all. Rich guys will be just fine but poor people rarely get to "fine". *shrug* it's the price you pay to live a decent life and marvel at the nutbags around you.
    What if my labor is worth less than $7.50 an hour to any potential employer?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    You can't compare sweatshop areas to modern Western Living standards. Sweatshops routinely pay 2-3xs the average wage in the areas that they're set up in. They're also typically much safer. There's a reason why people try really hard to get into them. Like it or not that's how impoverished nations develop. It's how we, the Europeans, and East Asians developed. China and India are developing thanks to them. Sweatshops rule
    Yeah, they pay great and are nice and safe, there's no exploitation or owing to the company store... that's why we lovingly call them sweatshops.

    "I burned my hand on the stove but ya think I'm gonna spare my boy? **** no, let the little bastard learn the way I did".

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    You don't know what slave labor is.
    Says the little rich white boy to the 64 year old black man...

  6. #96
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Yeah, they pay great and are nice and safe, there's no exploitation or owing to the company store... that's why we lovingly call them sweatshops.

    "I burned my hand on the stove but ya think I'm gonna spare my boy? **** no, let the little bastard learn the way I did".
    Never said it was perfect. The entire point is that they're better than what those people already have. That's why they work there. It is a step up for them to industrialize and raise their standards of living more. If you have a better way than what has been done in every industrialized country, I'd love to hear it.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Says the little rich white boy to the 64 year old black man...
    And my ancestors were mostly fishermen. Does that mean that I know the first thing about baiting hooks? The people in these sweatshops choose to work there, because it's better than what they have. Of course they'd be dumb to not work in a sweatshop. That doesn't make it slavery. That's like saying that it's slavery for me to accept a raise. If someone physically coerced them, then you'd have a point. Again, if you have a better way to raise their living standards , I'd love to hear it.
    Last edited by DrunkenAsparagus; 03-04-10 at 11:22 PM.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Believe me, I don't disagree that the minimum wage is imperfect but if there has to be imperfection I'd rather tip the scale in the poor man's direction. I'm funny like that, caring and all. Rich guys will be just fine but poor people rarely get to "fine". *shrug* it's the price you pay to live a decent life and marvel at the nutbags around you.
    You probably are a rich ( hard to define)guy in disguise.

    Even the minimum wage is not close to enough to live if are in a major Northeast city, perhaps anywhere. If you are serious about paying people a living wage then the issue most important is making it easier for people to organize. That and FAIR trade with foreign nations.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Never said it was perfect. The entire point is that they're better than what those people already have. That's why they work there. It is a step up for them to industrialize and raise their standards of living more. If you have a better way than what has been done in every industrialized country, I'd love to hear it.



    And my ancestors were mostly fishermen. Does that mean that I know the first thing about baiting hooks? The people in these sweatshops choose to work there, because it's better than what they have. Of course they'd be dumb to not work in a sweatshop. That doesn't make it slavery. That's like saying that it's slavery for me to accept a raise. If someone physically coerced them, then you'd have a point. Again, if you have a better way to raise their living standards , I'd love to hear it.
    No **** it's not perfect. It doesn't take much for a ****ing international multi-billion dollar corporation to treat people like ****ing people but no, in order to add that extension to their penis they need to treat humans like **** anytime they can.

    Oh and do a little math with my age. My grandparents we share croppers and before them...

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You probably are a rich ( hard to define)guy in disguise.

    Even the minimum wage is not close to enough to live if are in a major Northeast city, perhaps anywhere. If you are serious about paying people a living wage then the issue most important is making it easier for people to organize. That and FAIR trade with foreign nations.
    I am well off now, no need for a disguise.

    Come down south, you'd be amazed at what people can live off.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Were we better off before industrialization?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    What a big steaming pile of sophistry. So let me get this straight, Nike and the gap were caught running sweatshops in Cambodia and instead of cleaning up the facilities, not hiring children, not making people work 12+ hour shifts and providing a decent wage (or providing decent wage and working conditions in the first place) they pulled their operations and sent these workers into a worse position. You want to blame people who find this abhorrent? You really are.... never mind, you're not worth the points.

    Nike =
    The Gap=
    No relevant counter-points to my argument.

    Yeah, damn me for wanting them to treat their employees like humans.
    Wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 03-05-10 at 01:04 AM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •