View Poll Results: Which Accent Sounds Better

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • English-Upper Class

    8 14.04%
  • English-Cockney

    3 5.26%
  • Australian

    12 21.05%
  • Irish

    14 24.56%
  • American

    6 10.53%
  • New Zealand

    1 1.75%
  • South Africa

    2 3.51%
  • Scottish

    11 19.30%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: Accents

  1. #1
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Accents

    as some yankee-centric person put one up on american accents, i've decided to do an international one, so which accent sounds better, cant choose your own country.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #2
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    as some yankee-centric person put one up on american accents, i've decided to do an international one, so which accent sounds better, cant choose your own country.
    Nice idea, but the two choices - English Upper Class and English Cockney - are both unrepresentative of speech patterns in the UK. Like what sort of English upper class accent are you referring to (there are many variations)? And very few people speak cockney. The educated middle classes generally use a form of RP, and most people use regional accents, depending on the county.

    So could I suggest the term Received Pronunciation to replace English Upper Class, and English Regional to replace English Cockney (perhaps a mod can change it for you)?

    My choice would be Received Pronunciation, with Scottish a close second.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  3. #3
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Accents

    Leo? - Just a little pedantic there.....most people (including myself) haven't a bloody clue what that means...

    Me? I'd go with Scottish. Edinburgh rather than Glasgow. It's a softer brogue.

    I'd love to put in the accent that I find most appealing in the opposite sex, but the poll forbids me from doing so.

    (Psssst, it's Donegal)

    And where is the Latin accents?
    Brazillian, Argentinian, etc.
    Last edited by Alvin T. Grey; 02-26-10 at 09:12 AM.

  4. #4
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post

    And where is the Latin accents?
    Brazillian, Argentinian, etc.
    i only wanted to put in british colonies and ex-colonies
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #5
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    Leo? - Just a little pedantic there.....most people (including myself) haven't a bloody clue what that means...

    Me? I'd go with Scottish. Edinburgh rather than Glasgow. It's a softer brogue.

    I'd love to put in the accent that I find most appealing in the opposite sex, but the poll forbids me from doing so.

    (Psssst, it's Donegal)

    And where is the Latin accents?
    Brazillian, Argentinian, etc.
    Alvin, I find it hard to believe that you (or anyone else) have not heard of Received Pronunciation (sometimes known as BBC English) which is the most common accent for the educated English. I am not being pedantic at all, I am trying to be helpful. Most British speech patterns do not fall into the category of British Upper Class - whatever that means - or Cockney - a relatively few people were born within the sound of the Bow Bells. Like can you define an upper class British accent? Is it the way the Queen speaks, or is it Oxbridge, or one of a hundred variations in between? But most people are familiar with what is known as 'BBC English', and most English people who do not use it, use a regional accent.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  6. #6
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    i only wanted to put in british colonies and ex-colonies
    I agree with that. It makes sense to include the lands where English is the native tongue, and there are a limit of 10 choices.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Alvin, I find it hard to believe that you (or anyone else) have not heard of Received Pronunciation (sometimes known as BBC English) which is the most common accent for the educated English. I am not being pedantic at all, I am trying to be helpful. Most British speech patterns do not fall into the category of British Upper Class - whatever that means - or Cockney - a relatively few people were born within the sound of the Bow Bells. Like can you define an upper class British accent? Is it the way the Queen speaks, or is it Oxbridge, or one of a hundred variations in between? But most people are familiar with what is known as 'BBC English', and most English people who do not use it, use a regional accent.
    actually, outside i england, most people just think of english as stereotypical upper class, the middle sort of accents of monty python and that, and the stereotype cockney, i realise the accents range from yorkshire to devon to london to torquay and everywhere in between, but its just simpler to do the stereotypes than the nuances
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #8
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I agree with that. It makes sense to include the lands where English is the native tongue, and there are a limit of 10 choices.
    Are you not including Denmark, Sweden, and Holland?

    List of countries by English-speaking population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Each of those have in or around the same amount of English speakers as Canada.....

  9. #9
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    Are you not including Denmark, Sweden, and Holland?

    List of countries by English-speaking population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Each of those have in or around the same amount of English speakers as Canada.....
    Yes, but as a second language, is it not? In which case India is the biggest English speaking country in the world.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  10. #10
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Accents

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    Are you not including Denmark, Sweden, and Holland?

    List of countries by English-speaking population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Each of those have in or around the same amount of English speakers as Canada.....
    but if you change it to percentage of the population, american samoa has the most
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •